PDA

View Full Version : Nph (9-23)

fishhard22
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Sunday was my first day at NPH. I arrived at 4:30 p.m. And used one basic rig which was a drop shot. I was fishing 2 different plastics, both Gulp. A 4 inch swimming mullet and 3 inch minnow. The first fish I caught was a small halibut. I followed that up with a small calico. But the real prize for me was a bigger size halibut that gave me fight from hell on 6lb test. Not legal but real fun to catch. I can't believe how amazing it feels to catch fish. Can't wait ti'll next time. Good luck to all.

WOKIEE
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Sunday was my first day at NPH. I arrived at 4:30 p.m. And used one basic rig which was a drop shot. I was fishing 2 different plastics, both Gulp. A 4 inch swimming mullet and 3 inch minnow. The first fish I caught was a small halibut. I followed that up with a small calico. But the real prize for me was a bigger size halibut that gave me fight from hell on 6lb test. Not legal but real fun to catch. I can't believe how amazing it feels to catch fish. Can't wait ti'll next time. Good luck to all.

wow all caught on gulp damm thats cool

DEADROOTS
09-23-2008, 11:40 PM
What kind of hook do you use when using a 4 inch swimming mullet and 3 inch minnow? Do you expose the hook with a size 4 or 6 bait hook or weedless like LMB soft plastic baits?

jrockn
09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
What kind of hook do you use when using a 4 inch swimming mullet and 3 inch minnow? Do you expose the hook with a size 4 or 6 bait hook or weedless like LMB soft plastic baits?

yea i would love to know the same thing. :)

TunaChaser469
09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
yea i would love to know the same thing. :)

Exposed. #4 and #2 mosquito or Owner "drop shot" hooks work great.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Exposed. #4 and #2 mosquito or Owner "drop shot" hooks work great.

I suggest a 1/0 Gamagakstu dropshot.....go for the BIG fish.......
Actually the weight of the hooks adds action too....Gamagakstu is sharper than owner....owners are good though...not hatin....I use them all the time too for bait...
try out the gamagakstu..

Nice plastic works

sh1nynewlove
09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
that is nice catchin a hali (even if its a shortie)...especially on a gulp..:Envious:

fishhard22
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Yeah I left the hook exposed. Unfortnately I don't know the size of the hook I used but I do know it was a Renagade Snelled Hook haha. It's not even a drop shot hook haha. I havent baught any owner hooks yet.

Wingnut
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Keep at it, you'll bound to nail a legal soon with the Gulp stuff. :Wink: :Cool: :Big Grin:

bsp
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Try a 5in gulp jerk shad (pearl white or smelt) on a 4/0 or 5/0 offset worm hook if you want to really up your chances of getting a legal on the dropshot. Big fish will hit smaller baits, but offering them something bigger eliminates a lot of the shorties.

Good Job on flatties!

calico killer kevin
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
If you like those, then try dropshotting a gulp shrimp in nuclear chicken or new penny. By FAR the best gulp bait in my opinion

Santa Fe Eric
09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
If you like those, then try dropshotting a gulp shrimp in nuclear chicken or new penny. By FAR the best gulp bait in my opinion

Have to agree with you on that! But don't tell nobody :Secret:.
Just kidding Gulp is awesome but just like all baits if you present it wrong, its effectiveness is minimized.

Nice work by the way :Thumbs Up:

fishhard22
09-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Try a 5in gulp jerk shad (pearl white or smelt) on a 4/0 or 5/0 offset worm hook if you want to really up your chances of getting a legal on the dropshot. Big fish will hit smaller baits, but offering them something bigger eliminates a lot of the shorties.

Good Job on flatties!

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what i'm gonna do on my next trip. Much appreciated

fishhard22
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks bro I appreciate the info. I love everything that I have been learning about ocean fishing. It's not like freshwater bass fishing haha