PDA

View Full Version : Surf (Fishin') USA: A day at Bolsa Chica

AnglerBob
09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
There’s nothing like a little surf fishing, is there? Enjoying sand, waves and surf. Pretty girls in bikinis. Dolphins frolicking in the foam. Most importantly, not having to worry about your blissful beach day being interrupted by having to reel in fish.

Now, I know that technically, catching fish in the surf is possible: we’ve all seen reports from Wingnut where he reels in a legal halibut, corbina, dorado, and 40-lb king salmon in an hour from underneath the Venice pier. But, I, personally was not so optimistic.

The day started at 8am when I met Bassmaster Jack at Norm’s Big Fish bait shop in Seal Beach. We asked the proprietor what to use for bait, Jack having his heart set on ghost shrimp. “I’d recommend mussels in the surf,” the man said. “They stay on better. But you know what’s really been the big story are these new nuclear worms.” With that, he produced a plastic box and placed it on the counter. I noted it was $9.00. In it, a strange sci-fi creature pulsed and squirmed. It was the color of hot dogs left in the sun too long. Of intestinal surgery. Of an unsuccessful lap dancer’s discontinued Rite-Aid eye shadow. “There may be only one worm in there,” the man explained. “You have to cut them up.” Jack was intrigued. I opted for the mussels.

We ended up heading for Sunset Beach armed with 6lb test spinning outfits, Berkeley Gulp baits, mussels and—you guessed it—nuclear worms. As we parked and set up Carolina rigs with 3/4 oz weights for the heavy surf, Jack began vivisecting nuclear worms on his car bumper.

Now, I know this sounds cruel to many people who think one shouldn’t treat another living creature this way. But the worm—easily three feet long and half an inch in diameter at its widest—did not appear to mind being vivisected. In fact, the newly-created wormlings regrouped, shook hands and quickly squirmed towards Jack, clearly with the intention of slithering up any available bodily orifices. The head section seemed to be outfitted with small antennae and a movable proboscis. Animal cruelty, perhaps; but I guarantee you there is not a Greenpeace activist alive who wouldn’t take one look at this thing, grab her Crate and Barrel Tofu Knife and turn it into sustainable, locally-harvested cat food.

On to the fishing. Sunset beach proved too tough due to massive kelp stringers, which fight pretty hard on 6 lb test and a good undertow, so we headed further south to Bolsa Chica (which I think means “Bag Lady” in Spanish). There were fewer kelp masses, but more surfers. I feared a confrontation, but it did not happen; they were extraordinarily friendly. Then something weird happened. Jack began catching fish. Mostly small surf perch; some silvery, some barred. He tried to show me the technique. “Reel it back very slowly, like a little thing crawling over the sand, “ he explained. Abandoning the nuclear worms, he’d gone back to the Gulp baits, with excellent results.

I couldn’t get it right. Eventually, my cheap reel corroded, the line tangled, a sudden riptide knocked me down and I remembered why I never do this. I happily settled for enjoying the sun and wondering how wet an ATM card has to get to not work. Jack ended up with five or six perch for a morning’s fishing.

As an added treat, we witnessed a few anglers near a jetty bring in a huge leopard shark, snap a picture and release it (way cool). As we left the area, we discretely tossed the remaining nuclear worm, hoping this wouldn’t result in some summer horror-movie scene on the news later. Back at the car, Jack noticed a strange trail of nuclear worm waste on his bumper. “Maybe I’ll just sell my car,” he said with a shiver of revulsion.

Might try it again next year. Meanwhile, I think I’ll wait for October when the lakes cool down and I can fail to catch stripers. Tight lines all...

legacy1
09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I caught my personal best BSP on a drop-shotted nuclear worm, it does produce in my experience. Glenn's Tackle in Costa Mesa sells them for $8.00.

Thanks for the report!

Legacy1

Wingnut
09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Highly entertaining report, eloquently written... thanks for the great read. :Cool: :Envious:

When things get tough out in the surf... do what I do, recite the 11th Commandment... "Thou Shall not Quit." :Wink:

Troutman65
09-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Nice reprot. I enjoyed reading . Thanks for sharing with FNN. :Cool:

flyngby
09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the report!!

Highly entertaining report, eloquently written... thanks for the great read. :Cool: :Envious

When things get tough out in the surf... do what I do, recite the 11th Commandment... "Thou Shall not Quit." :Wink:

Take it from the Master. I was lucky to have him by my side and still got no results my self.

Although my day with "Wingnut" could be very close to your experience in no way was I going to quit and go home with out at least 1 bendo. We'll it did not happen but that will not keep me from getting out there again!!!!

Steve

gavin310
09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
There’s nothing like a little surf fishing, is there? Enjoying sand, waves and surf. Pretty girls in bikinis. Dolphins frolicking in the foam. Most importantly, not having to worry about your blissful beach day being interrupted by having to reel in fish.

One of the best opening paragraphs to a report ever :ROFL: I got skunked the first couple times too. Just let your bait sit there without reeling and you'll pull in tons of perch.

DCCTrouserTrout
09-23-2008, 07:53 PM
ha ha ha... some good reading...

CrabMan
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the entertaining story and the masterfull use of wordsmithing.:Big Grin:

It was a beautiful day down at the beach today. So keep trying and reading posts and you'll be catchin' them in no time.

The nuclear worm is from the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. They only come to our market in summertime so they won't be around much longer. If you cut them one piece at a time from the tail end they will not die for days. If you have mud for them (and an understanding wife) they will actually live and regrow their lost tails.

They are a lot like bloodworms and work great for perch, corbina and other croakers.

You're buddy is right. If you reel slowly and keep tension on the line you'll get and feel more bites. Perch and many surf fish don't nibble or inhale a bait--instead, they inhale and exhale (unlike clinton who just exhaled) and crush the bait. So when surf fishing--if you feel the slightest bite reel quickly and lift your rod to set the hook. That should help you catch more fish.:LOL:

fishhard22
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Awesome report man, thanks

klymons
09-24-2008, 01:00 AM

Now, I know that technically, catching fish in the surf is possible: we’ve all seen reports from Wingnut where he reels in a legal halibut, corbina, dorado, and 40-lb king salmon in an hour from underneath the Venice pier. But, I, personally was not so optimistic.

The day started at 8am when I met Bassmaster Jack at Norm’s Big Fish bait shop in Seal Beach. We asked the proprietor what to use for bait, Jack having his heart set on ghost shrimp. “I’d recommend mussels in the surf,” the man said. “They stay on better. But you know what’s really been the big story are these new nuclear worms.” With that, he produced a plastic box and placed it on the counter. I noted it was $9.00. In it, a strange sci-fi creature pulsed and squirmed. It was the color of hot dogs left in the sun too long. Of intestinal surgery. Of an unsuccessful lap dancer’s discontinued Rite-Aid eye shadow. “There may be only one worm in there,” the man explained. “You have to cut them up.” Jack was intrigued. I opted for the mussels.

We ended up heading for Sunset Beach armed with 6lb test spinning outfits, Berkeley Gulp baits, mussels and—you guessed it—nuclear worms. As we parked and set up Carolina rigs with 3/4 oz weights for the heavy surf, Jack began vivisecting nuclear worms on his car bumper.

Now, I know this sounds cruel to many people who think one shouldn’t treat another living creature this way. But the worm—easily three feet long and half an inch in diameter at its widest—did not appear to mind being vivisected. In fact, the newly-created wormlings regrouped, shook hands and quickly squirmed towards Jack, clearly with the intention of slithering up any available bodily orifices. The head section seemed to be outfitted with small antennae and a movable proboscis. Animal cruelty, perhaps; but I guarantee you there is not a Greenpeace activist alive who wouldn’t take one look at this thing, grab her Crate and Barrel Tofu Knife and turn it into sustainable, locally-harvested cat food.

On to the fishing. Sunset beach proved too tough due to massive kelp stringers, which fight pretty hard on 6 lb test and a good undertow, so we headed further south to Bolsa Chica (which I think means “Bag Lady” in Spanish). There were fewer kelp masses, but more surfers. I feared a confrontation, but it did not happen; they were extraordinarily friendly. Then something weird happened. Jack began catching fish. Mostly small surf perch; some silvery, some barred. He tried to show me the technique. “Reel it back very slowly, like a little thing crawling over the sand, “ he explained. Abandoning the nuclear worms, he’d gone back to the Gulp baits, with excellent results.

I couldn’t get it right. Eventually, my cheap reel corroded, the line tangled, a sudden riptide knocked me down and I remembered why I never do this. I happily settled for enjoying the sun and wondering how wet an ATM card has to get to not work. Jack ended up with five or six perch for a morning’s fishing.

As an added treat, we witnessed a few anglers near a jetty bring in a huge leopard shark, snap a picture and release it (way cool). As we left the area, we discretely tossed the remaining nuclear worm, hoping this wouldn’t result in some summer horror-movie scene on the news later. Back at the car, Jack noticed a strange trail of nuclear worm waste on his bumper. “Maybe I’ll just sell my car,” he said with a shiver of revulsion.

Might try it again next year. Meanwhile, I think I’ll wait for October when the lakes cool down and I can fail to catch stripers. Tight lines all...

Dude, you are a great writer! That was one of the funniest fishing posts I have ever read! And like you, I have a love/hate relationship with surf fishing. . .love the smell of salt air early in the morning. . .hate stepping into a hole & it's so deep only my hat is showing. . .love the times I wade out there and the "catching" is off the hook--like the time I hit Zuma Beach and I caught "toad" BSP's(had shoulders like NFL linebackers). . .hate the times at the aforementioned Zuma when the kelp is like a giant veggie monster, and the waves are as high as Grateful Dead fans. . .love those miles of bikinis--walking down the beach, laying on towels, playing volleyball & firing up libidos from here to the the wilds of the Venice Pier. . .hate when The Skunk shows up and judo chops my karma & I don't catch squat. . .love fishing in general--even surf slinging sometimes--so as long as I'm not stuck at home with a cranky chainsaw & marching orders to cut off some limbs that have now become trees(we live in Granada Hills and one of our tree's limbs now stretches all the way to Magic Mountain). As long as I am fishing--on a sportfishing boat, on the banks of Pyramid Lake--even flyfishing in the lower reaches of the LA River where there is a faint trickle & I will most likely catch. . .(a) some kind of disease that hasn't been discovered yet. . .(b) a few stray rounds from a gang war in progress. . .(c) catch the attention of cops who think I must be braindead or baked. . .(d) a trip in an ambulance after I stumble over a random Buick transmission laying on the riverbed and bust up the body politic quite severely. . .but hey--I'm fishing and there will be no chainsaws!

AnglerBob
09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks all for your support. I will remember Wingnut's commandment re: never quit! Crabman too sounds like he knows what he's doing out there, thanks for the lesson on nuclear worm etiology. Klymons, you are one brave soul to fish in the LA riverbed. Closest I ever came was fishing Balboa Park in the San Fernando Valley, but that raw-sewage smell really doesn't motivate you to enjoy your catch!

TunaChaser469
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice report. Great read.

sh1nynewlove
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
thanks for story telling your day with the nuclear worms..

calico killer kevin
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Wow, you are a great writer.