PDA

View Full Version : Biat...

Bowlfrogg
09-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I know there are different recipes out there for the Perfect "Bug Bait" but i am curious to hear them I will start with my fam recipe.. if you can get past the smell then you will get the big bugs..

Mac -N- Cat.

first you take a nice frozen Mac, cut into 4 inch squares,
once the squares are chopped use your knife and make 2 slices on each side be sure not to go all the way through the Mac,
then you put them into a large ziplock,
after your done take 3 cans of the best Fishy CAT food you can find crack those suckers open and dump um into the ziplock.
once all those steps are down place your mixture outside to let all those juices merge and marry together best if done the day before your planning on going. leave it out until you go, so the fish is starting to smell and getting even more stinky from the cat food and you will be nailing those bugs.. Good luck..

The Man The Myth
The Bowlfrogg

Re8elmonk0341
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I've tried putting a can of catfood along with some frozen macs before but didn't catch anything worth bragging about. I've tried lettign the mac sit untill it got good and really rip, again I didn't catch anything. I've found that using freshly caught macs or fresh frozen macs work best FOR ME. This year I'm going to try using some tuna carcasses that I caught on my overnight trip. I'll be having 10 nets this year so maybe I'll try a mix of stuff like salmon heads, bowlfrogg's mix and maybe even some rockfish and see what works best.

Reelbacklash
09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
In 14 years of bug fishing i've found that fresh Mackerel, bonita, sardines and or salmon bones are the most productive. Atleast for me and this is only my opinion.

dixoncider
09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Best lobster bait. Abalone.

diamondbear
09-28-2008, 04:02 PM
An old freind of mine long ago was a commercial lobster trapper and told me his best bait was the scraps from his Abalone [ when the season was legal back then ] other wise macks and scraps from his summer fish catches .

Nessie Hunter
09-29-2008, 07:26 AM
All I have ever used to get Lobster is my Visa or debit card...

Works like a charm!!!!!!

:ROFL:

(sorry, couldnt resist)..

tunagod1
09-29-2008, 08:19 AM
An old freind of mine long ago was a commercial lobster trapper and told me his best bait was the scraps from his Abalone [ when the season was legal back then ] other wise macks and scraps from his summer fish catches .

I have heard the same from old time commerical lobster fisherman, But where do you find abalone trimmings? My friend indicated you couldn't stuff another lobster into the trap when fishing this bait. Maybe i'll try some of the large snails I catch at the LB breakwall.

Tuna out

dixoncider
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Back in the day you could get trimmings but who knows now.

diamondbear
09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
theres no commercial taking of abalone in calif. anymore , I get my abs up north but put my trimmings in a ceviche . abalone isn't really needed for bait if the bugs are around and hungry you'll get em with standard baits .