PDA

View Full Version : Sea lion cure

soskunked
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
We fished all over the local waters off Long Beach Saturday. Like always lately, sea lions were driving us nuts. Now, I have a weird job and work with biologists at the National Parks on how to discourage bears from eating human food. We call it adverse conditioning and we give them an unpleasant experience while they're causing trouble. We've used cracker shot shells, pepper spray and lots of other methods but one of the most effective and simplest cures is the good old fashion wrist rocket. That's right, a sling shot. A rock in the butt of a bear works every time and it works beautifully on pesky sea lions too. From the flybridge with a pocket full of gravel I had them on the run. You don't want to hurt them so use a small rock...it works great and they hate it!

By the way, the fishing greatly improved when the sardine's body actually stayed attached to their heads. Go figure.

Jbro
09-22-2008, 05:29 PM
see this link that shows you can slingshot em as well as other means, paintball being one of my favorites.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/Deterring-Pinnipeds.cfm

Ambassadorhawg
09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I sure hope some government law enforcement officer doesn't read this...

Troutman65
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
We fished all over the local waters off Long Beach Saturday. Like always lately, sea lions were driving us nuts. Now, I have a weird job and work with biologists at the National Parks on how to discourage bears from eating human food. We call it adverse conditioning and we give them an unpleasant experience while they're causing trouble. We've used cracker shot shells, pepper spray and lots of other methods but one of the most effective and simplest cures is the good old fashion wrist rocket. That's right, a sling shot. A rock in the butt of a bear works every time and it works beautifully on pesky sea lions too. From the flybridge with a pocket full of gravel I had them on the run. You don't want to hurt them so use a small rock...it works great and they hate it!

By the way, the fishing greatly improved when the sardine's body actually stayed attached to their heads. Go figure.

I am 99.9 % sure you can go to jail and be fined if you get caught doing that to a Sea Lion. They are protected. Same with the brown Pelican

Ambassadorhawg
09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I am 99.9 % sure you can go to jail and be fined if you get caught doing that to a Sea Lion. They are protected. Same with the brown Pelican

I think it's even worse with the Brown Pelican...aren't they technically "threatened"? For messing with a Brown Pelican.... you get castrated with a pair of rusty old hedge clippers; your finger nails torn off- one at a time; your eye lids sewn open with your head pointed straight at the summer sun; made to drink hot, dirty motor oil; and then you get about 6 months in federal prison.

Just kidding! But...I would steer clear of harming them anyway, it's not worth the risk of getting caught, no matter what the penalty is! LOL!!!!

ghetto dad
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Something needs to be done about those seals....they have been, and will continue to, threaten peoples livelihoods.....its ridiculous, the treehuggers dont care about that tho....

GD

one_leg
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I can imagine people going on half day trips just to shoot the furbags all day long.

:ROFL:

I need to find a source for habanero pepper balls. Anyone know where I can get them cheap?

My wrist rocket is gonna need some new surgical rubber tubing too.

Jbro
09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
i "heard" that if you freeze the paintballs the night before you use them that they are particularly potent, legal and provide alot of sting. Also says you can use rubber bullets, sabot rounds, with the restritions being non-lethal and you must be actively fishing when you use them. I would print a copy of the regs and take them with you b/c there are plenty of law enforcement that would challenge your right to do this but i have checked it out and its legal.

gavin310
09-22-2008, 08:19 PM
shooting paint into the ocean doesn't sound like the best idea to me...

snoman
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
i paintball often, and freezing doesnt work well. there not gona stay frozen long enough from the freezer untill u use them, and then they get soggy n brittle.

Oz
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
man we just need to herd them up like they do tuna and put a pod of killer whales or great whites...theres ya solution :Twisted::ROFL:

mg2969
09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
CHeck out the The Invasion of the 800-pound pinnipeds thread

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16312

christainmetalhead909
09-22-2008, 09:15 PM

i agree, but on the subject use marbels in the wrist rocket.

trlrtrsh67
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I need to find a source for habanero pepper balls. Anyone know where I can get them cheap?

I had some for ya a while back Alan. I was making a couple gallons of chili for a super-bowl game and after slicing up some habies I went to take a leak before washing the hands and ...well... you remember that song "great balls of fire"????!!!!!!!! No more boom-boom for me for the rest of that day LMFAO!

one_leg
09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I had some for ya a while back Alan. I was making a couple gallons of chili for a super-bowl game and after slicing up some habies I went to take a leak before washing the hands and ...well... you remember that song "great balls of fire"????!!!!!!!! No more boom-boom for me for the rest of that day LMFAO!

Admit it Rich, you just like to talk about your balls.

I think I will just stick to the paint type ones for the time being.

Next time you prepare a batch of the salsa wear some of those gloves that your neighbors the "Meth Cooks" use when dumping the Red Phosphorus on your side yard after you go to work.

:Wink:

Maybe one of those Star Trek toy phasers would work with some Necco Wafers?
They'd be water soluble and awfully tasty too.

DrewRanch
09-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Paintballs are actually biodegradable. They have a dyed soap inside...

soskunked
09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Says right here http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/upload/Deter-Pinnipeds.pdf you can use a slingshot. It even shows a picture of a wrist roccket. Wrist rockets are incredibly accurate but should be used with caution. I was aiming for the back half and usually, with their tail underwater, just the splash was enough to discourage them.

soskunked
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Just to clarify the Stellar Sea Lion is listed on the ESA (endangered species act) and the California Sea Lion and Pacific Harbor Seal are not. The Stellar Sea Lion range only reaches as far south as Ano Neuvo Island off Central CA so everything down in SoCal is a Calif Sea Lion. Not endangered.

Stormcrow
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I sure hope some government law enforcement officer doesn't read this...

Why is that?

Stormcrow
09-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Paintballs are actually biodegradable. They have a dyed soap inside...

Actually, paintballs are made of a dyed Fish-oil. Biodegradeable yes, freezing them is dangerous though. Any cheap marker works well enough at 300fps without having to freeze paintballs.

If you freeze paintballs you may cause a break in the sealion's blubber layer which might expose it to infection.

Nobody should be that stupid.

Troutman65
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Just to clarify the Stellar Sea Lion is listed on the ESA (endangered species act) and the California Sea Lion and Pacific Harbor Seal are not. The Stellar Sea Lion range only reaches as far south as Ano Neuvo Island off Central CA so everything down in SoCal is a Calif Sea Lion. Not endangered.

I still don't think you can Hassel them. :Confused: I am not even sure why this thread is still going. Just leave them critters alone. They have a right to be there also. They were fishing before we were.

one_leg
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I still don't think you can Hassel them.

It ain't hasseling them, it's just a lil tickling.

They don't like being tickled.

Troutman65
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
It ain't hasseling them, it's just a lil tickling.

They don't like being tickled.

Your acting like a Helmet O_L

one_leg
09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Your acting like a Helmet O_L

Parick, you're sounding like BobbyK !!!

Troutman65
09-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Parick, you're sounding like BobbyK !!!

:Shocked::whistle:

aldo818
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, just an FYI, it is legal to use slingshots and paintball guns to shoot them. Not for fun but for everyones safety. Just make sure that it does not cut them or break their skin. It's only legal if it gets dangerously close.

They have been known to attack kayakers and divers so it's not a matter of who was in the ocean first. It's a matter teaching the sea lions to stay away from humans for their and our safety.

You can/should speak to a DFG officer about this when you can so that they can fill you in on the details.

just my two cents...