PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the weeds?

billy b
09-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm wondering about fishing lakes near the weeds. I'm, in particular thinking about June and Gull which I'm more familiar with. I've seen and heard about people anchoring right up next to the weeds ... or maybe just off the big rock at Gull. Do you recommend using a long leader like 4-5 feet, and does that depend on what time of the year it is? What about fishing pworms and jigs ... do you like to use a bobber in front of them to keep out of the weeds? ... if so, how long a leader behind?

Badfish2
09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
That spot by the rock at Gull is a place I fish a lot. I hit that spot at least 4 times a year. From my experience I'd done both from a boat fishing near the reeds and by shore casting toward them, the best so far? Casting from shore. I've found that the big fish cruise those weed lines so if you're on a boat pushed up against them..you'll find that you could be scaring the fish out of that area. There's a fairly deep hole right there.. I'd say it's 30-+ feet there. Try anchoring down between the rock and the reeds...and casting toward the reeds. IF there are others in that area hogging up the spot.. go aorund the corner from the rock and fish there casting toward open water..let the lure sink if it's mid-day and keep it near the surface early or late. If you're using bait there, I do recommend using long leaders.. 4 foot is good to go. Yellow colored baits work good. Lures, stick to thomas bouyants or fire tiger raplas in a CD 5 - 9

billy b
09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I cruised by there a lot the last time I was there. First of all, the "big rock" we're talking about is just around the first weed bed from the far end of the campgrounds (at the opposite end of the lake from the marina - next to the road) ... just beyond what looks like a small ramp, right?

I saw several people on shore catching a few. And, you're saying anchor a polite distance from shore and cast over towards the weeds on the left (from the boat) or the right (from the shore)? What about anchoring a bit of a ways from the rock ... nearer the weeds ... but a safe distance (towards the road) from the people on the rock? That would seem to allow for you to cast more of a parralel to the weeds? Thoughts?

Seems like a good spot.

How about just to the left of the marina ... over towards "brookie hole"? I know that's where they plant and that a 3 and a 5 #er had been caught there a day or so before I got there.

Bronzeback
09-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm wondering about fishing lakes near the weeds. I'm, in particular thinking about June and Gull which I'm more familiar with. I've seen and heard about people anchoring right up next to the weeds ... or maybe just off the big rock at Gull. Do you recommend using a long leader like 4-5 feet, and does that depend on what time of the year it is? What about fishing pworms and jigs ... do you like to use a bobber in front of them to keep out of the weeds? ... if so, how long a leader behind?

I always try to fish "over" weed beds and always use float and fly or float and jig. I fish the float and fly a little different. I use 9 1/2'-10 1/2' "noodle" rods rated for 1-6# line. With this set-up, I can reach just about any weed bed from shore. The big advantage with this set-up, besides casting distance, is the ability to fish with leader lengths up to 10' if need be, over submerged weed beds. This set-up also works great for open water suspended fish.

With these soft action rods you can cast a bubble fly/jig across the lake with 2-4# line and easily land the biggest of trout.

I normally fish micro jigs or small beadhead flies. This technique is by far the most productive way to fish the weeds.

Badfish2
09-29-2008, 11:29 PM
I cruised by there a lot the last time I was there. First of all, the "big rock" we're talking about is just around the first weed bed from the far end of the campgrounds (at the opposite end of the lake from the marina - next to the road) ... just beyond what looks like a small ramp, right?

I saw several people on shore catching a few. And, you're saying anchor a polite distance from shore and cast over towards the weeds on the left (from the boat) or the right (from the shore)? What about anchoring a bit of a ways from the rock ... nearer the weeds ... but a safe distance (towards the road) from the people on the rock? That would seem to allow for you to cast more of a parralel to the weeds? Thoughts?

Seems like a good spot.

How about just to the left of the marina ... over towards "brookie hole"? I know that's where they plant and that a 3 and a 5 #er had been caught there a day or so before I got there.

Well, I've never seen anyone catch anything large from a boat over by the "rock" .. but I have seen several shore fisherman bringing 9+ lbers there on mulitiple occassions. Boats are good there, those reeds are tough though. I did find that if you're pushed up against the reeds in a boat so the rock is to your left, and brookie hole is to your right, you can cast out straight and definitely hook up. Good thing about a boat there is if the rock is full of people, you'll still have access to that spot.