PDA

View Full Version : How to grill trout.....

troutkiller562
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
hey you guys!!!!!! looking for a easy recipe on how to bbq trout? thanks TK562

Badfish2
09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Tin foil ..tons of butter.. spice of your choice roll it up place on grill medium heat...watch it closely

CraigH
09-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I also do the tin foil and butter, but I put a couple of onion slices and parsley in the body cavity and sprinkle a little lemon juice on the fish before wrapping it up. It steams in the tin foil.

pwynn
09-22-2008, 11:24 AM
a little fresh garlic inside, a couple orange slices in there also slather with mayo...2 orange slices on both sides of the fish on the outside... wrap in foil

Granny Fish
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't especially care for steamed trout. If you have a cast iron skillet, you can fry it on the fire if the fire has a grill (messy clean up) or get one of those special fish grilling baskets and hold it over the fire. Salt and pepper inside and outside is plenty of seasoning. Garlic salt is good in place of regular salt too.

one_leg
09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Liberally coat with peanut oil, toss onto coals, turn after 3 minutes, cook 3 more.

Enjoy.

gavin310
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
is there any special formula to how long you should grill it? like for every inch, cook it X amount of minutes on each side?

one_leg
09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T OVERCOOK IT!!!!!

SoCalGuy7
09-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T OVERCOOK IT!!!!!

Or under cook it....:ROFL: no formula for how long, that I know of....

Granny Fish
09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Cooking doesn't take long. I can usually tell by the way the meat looks. Never thought about the time it takes. For a small trout (1.5#) about 10 mins. maybe? The meat should be flakey, white, and opaque. Until you get use to how much time you need to cook it, you can try seperating the meat from the back bone. It should seperate from the bones very easily. If the meat looks gelatinous and/or bloody, and doesn't seperate easily, it isn't done yet. If the meat is filleted from the bones, then it will obviously take less time to cook and I just makes sure it is browned on both sides and it's done. Hope that helps some.

CraigH
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
From a seafood cooking site:

The 10-Minute Rule for Cooking Fish

The 10-Minute Rule or Canadian Cooking Method is one way to cook fish by conventional methods including grilling, broiling, poaching, steaming, sautéing, microwaving, en papillotte, planking, and baking (at 400F to 450F).

Here is how to use the 10 Minute Rule:
Measure the fish at its thickest point. If the fish is stuffed or rolled, measure it after stuffing or rolling.

Cook fish about 10 minutes per inch, turning it halfway through the cooking time. For example, a 1-inch fish steak should be cooked 5 minutes on each side for a total of 10 minutes. Pieces less than 1/2 inch thick do not have to be turned over. Test for doneness. Flake with a fork. Fish should reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees.

Add 5 minutes to the total cooking time for fish cooked in foil or in sauce.
Double the cooking time for frozen fish that has not been defrosted. Use this rule as a general guideline since fillets often don't have uniform thickness.

Badfish2
10-10-2008, 03:22 AM
I agree with the lady above.. get one of those fish grillin' baskets