PDA

View Full Version : How's Newport?

UCR's Fishman
09-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Ive been fishing for a LONG time... but the last time i was fished the ocean (in a boat)... i was 5 years old. I dont remember anything:Sad: However, this tuesday im heading to newport and hopping on a boat. I want to know everything i need to catch some good fish...tuna, dorado, barracuda, etc. I plan on using live bait and chucking it over... i dont really know much about fishing saltwater (unless you count fishing off the pier). Also i would like to know how good the fishing is out off newport... ill be heading on a 3/4 day trip out maybe to catalina.

Only saltwater fish ive caught are mackerel which dont put up much of a fight...but a friend of mine has all the gear i need to catch big fish. Anyways, thanks for reading...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/link92335/100_0172.jpg

samgann93
09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
call the landing that ur going out of. they can help u with all the specifics. also ask the deckhands questions when ur on the boat. they know the best.

good luck.

legacy1
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Have you found a recipe to cook that mackerel that makes it appetizing?

Hope your trip goes well!

Legacy1

RL-IN-OC
09-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi UCR,

you didn't say which landing you are going out of, either Newport Landing or Davey's Locker. I'm kinda partial to Newport Landing. On the 3/4 day, make sure you call ahead to see if they have enough people to go. Crowds are getting thin. I would suggest bringing a selection of gear, 20# 25# 30#. with a flouro leader. Check your drags on all your reels too, not too tight. The Tuna and Dodo's have seem to gone south this weekend, beyond 3/4 and overnight trips. The water is cooling off. There has been a decent showing of large bonita, to 8lbs, with a few Yellowtail below them. Good Calico bass bite, with a lot of shallow water rockfish in the mix. Good luck!