PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica @ night 9/21

kansasguyinCali27
09-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi everyone, I went to fish @ Santa Monica Pier tonight, and it was fun. I heard from a friend that the halibut where biting good earlier, but I got there like @ 6, so I missed it. It wasn't to late for the evening critters though. I caught a black croaker once I wet the line. I farmed a couple of bigger fish, but as it got darker, the bite died down. I got my stuff and walked down towards where the breakers are, and used some shrimp for bait, and caught a stingray, and a small leopard shark. The little sharks were swimming everywhere. All in all, it was a fun night.

fishshep
09-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Nice big croaker!!!
Must have fought pretty good!!!

kansasguyinCali27
09-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice big croaker!!!
Must have fought pretty good!!!

He did put up a nice fight. At first, I thought I caught a sargo, till I saw him come up. The black croakers are awesome fish.:Big Grin:

Mondo21
09-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the report,nice pics.
I was told "don't eat the fish" out of Santa Monica!:Twisted::Twisted::Twisted::EyePop:
Cindy

supasportkid
09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
thats a nice croaker you got there!

fishhard22
09-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice big croaker and shark. Congrats on the fish. I still have yet to catch my fist black croaker, they sound like fun.

kansasguyinCali27
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the report,nice pics.
I was told "don't eat the fish" out of Santa Monica!:Twisted::Twisted::Twisted::EyePop:
Cindy

Thanks. I live by that rule here in this part of So Cal. The only critters I'd eat from here are halibut(legal ones) and Lobster.

kansasguyinCali27
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Nice big croaker and shark. Congrats on the fish. I still have yet to catch my fist black croaker, they sound like fun.

Hey, if you ever want to fish Santa Monica, I can show you where to catch some of these guys. They are really fun to catch.:Big Grin:

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
ahhhh...my old backyard....I do miss fishing there....at the right tide there are many big toads to be had.

Looks like ya had a fun night...
Congrats.

P.S.
That one is not a ray though, that a sandshark...but not a thornback.

Nice work....try fishing up under the pier from the very end or under the pier under the mariasol restaurant (cast under the pier from the lower parts of the pier near the tressles.....sandbass hwy !) be prepared to lose tackle though !

kansasguyinCali27
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
ahhhh...my old backyard....I do miss fishing there....at the right tide there are many big toads to be had.

Looks like ya had a fun night...
Congrats.

P.S.
That one is not a ray though, that a sandshark...but not a thornback.

Nice work....try fishing up under the pier from the very end or under the pier under the mariasol restaurant (cast under the pier from the lower parts of the pier near the tressles.....sandbass hwy !) be prepared to lose tackle though !

I caught one there a while back, and though it was a weird find at the time. Thanks for the info bro. BTW, what types of bait/lures work for SandBass there?

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I caught one there a while back, and though it was a weird find at the time. Thanks for the info bro. BTW, what types of bait/lures work for SandBass there?

Use about 3/4 anchovie or dine...carolina rigged....cast up under the dock, as near to the tressles as possible and as far up under the dock you can cast (1-2 oz egg sinker)....."stitch" (or drag) it in.....work it !

I've caught allot of halibut there using this method too but the halibut are in a different zone there....for the flatties, stand on the lower part of the pier, so you face the restaurant.....cast straight towards the restaurant (drag back)and fan cast working right....theres a sandy bowl type bottom structure around there....stitch....and get ready....ALWAYS "stitch

Mr twister white or gold grubs on leadheads work good too...
Scampi's would also be effective but thats not my go to plastic there

Near the high tide is when you want to hit it......2hr b4 and into it....2hrs after...

NOW.....go make me proud !....say hello to those fishies for me...I have not been there in a while...

Good luck,
Gary

jrockn
09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
thats a very nice croaker and cool liking shark. Dude you must have had a blast fishing that night. aswome job!

JR

kansasguyinCali27
09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Use about 3/4 anchovie or dine...carolina rigged....cast up under the dock, as near to the tressles as possible and as far up under the dock you can cast (1-2 oz egg sinker)....."stitch" (or drag) it in.....work it !

I've caught allot of halibut there using this method too but the halibut are in a different zone there....for the flatties, stand on the lower part of the pier, so you face the restaurant.....cast straight towards the restaurant (drag back)and fan cast working right....theres a sandy bowl type bottom structure around there....stitch....and get ready....ALWAYS "stitch

Mr twister white or gold grubs on leadheads work good too...
Scampi's would also be effective but thats not my go to plastic there

Near the high tide is when you want to hit it......2hr b4 and into it....2hrs after...

NOW.....go make me proud !....say hello to those fishies for me...I have not been there in a while...

Good luck,
Gary

Thanks Gary. I sure appreciate the help. BTW, do gulp baits work? I want to try some of those. I will do what you suggested. I definately want to hook up a bass of a hali. I'll also have a set up just for croaker and beans. I'm taking my nephew tommorow, so we'll see what happens, and I'll post some pics too.:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

kansasguyinCali27
09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
thats a very nice croaker and cool liking shark. Dude you must have had a blast fishing that night. aswome job!

JR

Thanks bro. It was fun, and there was a lot of eye candy to look at. I'll post more pics next trip. :Cool: