PDA

View Full Version : New to Mammoth

rag23
09-20-2008, 09:13 AM
We're heading up to Mammoth next weekend and I'm looking for some advice. We're staying close Lake Mary, Mamie, George and I was planning on fishing those lakes. Hopefully I'll get to convict too. Going with the family so I'll probably only get out there in the mornings before everyone wakes up. Which of those lakes should I hit first? Boat or Shore? Bait or lures? I'm a rookie when it comes to fishing Mammoth so any input would be helpful. Thanks!

bsp
09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Mary and Mamie are both very good from shore. Use Thomas Buoyants in Red gold (remember to add a split ring), Kastmasters in Rainbow trout and firetiger, and dropshot or split shot lip ripperz in pink/white and fighting frog. Good Luck!

If you go to Convict, try to hike to the inlet. Ask the people in the store for directions.

billy b
09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
What's the split ring for? Instead of a swivel?

calico killer kevin
09-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Tie the line directly to the thomas bouyant. It gives it better action. Mary is hot right now next to the Barret's landing. the cove right next to there has a weedline. Cast right outside the weed line and keep the bouyant above the weeds. Or fish powerbait with a 4-5 foot leader to keep it above the grass.

MAN VS WILD
09-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Check out this video fishing report, lots of good info.

http://www.performanceanglers.com/spin_fish_report_vid.php

FISH ON!!!

bsp
09-21-2008, 01:05 PM
What's the split ring for? Instead of a swivel?

That isn't a dumb question.

Notice how kastmasters have a split ring? It gives the lure a better action, and it also protects your line. I lost some nice trout because the metal edge of the Buoyant acts like a knife and cuts the line. Then I added a split ring and that stopped happening. I think it also gives it a better action (lets the lure kick more), but that is really personal preference.

Sparky70
09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Take a jacket, it can/does get cold there this time of year. We went there about 3 years ago on Memorial Day prepared for a warm weekend, got there Fri. afternoon in a rainstorm, woke up Sat. A.M. to 4in of snow, went to June Mt., rode the tram almost froze our bunns off. Back to Mammoth in a snow storm (AGAIN), ate at some pizza place, then hit the sack. OMG, woke up Sun. AM to another 4ins. of snow. Came back home!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Badfish2
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Yep, temps in the 30s up there now at night.