PDA

View Full Version : Hermosa Beach Pier Questions

Odium
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
My Pops used to take me fishing about 10-15 years ago. And we would often go to what he called "Redondo Pier". But every time I look up Redondo Pier online, I would find the Triangle shaped pier. And that is on the pier my dad used to take me to.

I specifically remember it being concrete, extremely long, and tall. (The long and tall part might not be true anymore since I was probably 12 or so when I last fished on this pier) I also remember there being a food stand at the end of the pier and we would often order french fries from it.

Anyhow, I figured my dad probably wasnt too far off when he said Redondo. So I hopped on Google maps and scoured up and down the coast for any other piers. I found the Hermosa Beach Pier. I zoomed in as close as I could and sure enough it is concrete. But I did not notice the outline of a building/food stand at the end of the pier. I hit Google Images to see if I could find pictures of the pier. The more pictures I see, the more and more I'm starting to think this is the pier my dad used to take me to. But still I don't see a building at the end of the pier.

1) Does anyone know if there used to be a building at the end of the pier and it was demolished?

2) If there was never a building at the end of the bridge, does anyone know what pier I might be talking about?

3) If this is the pier i used to fish, is the fishing pretty decent now a days? I remember we used to catch Bonito and mackeral at this pier all the time.

bsp
09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
He was probably thinking of the Mahattan Beach pier. There is an aquarium and food stand at the end.

I have not fished it in a while, but last year I caught macks, bonita, sardines, and various rays and sharks.

Awesome avatar! I have a lot of friends that paintball, and they love videos of guys shooting themselves. On a random note, what gun do you shoot?

Odium
09-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Hrmmms I remember the end of the pier being square. . .
I do not think it is Manhattan Beach. I'll do a little more research though.

FYI: That's not me in the picture. I just love the picture.
I shoot an Infiniti Legend.

fndaway66
09-19-2008, 05:59 PM
The pier is still there and yes they used to have a building at the end that you could by tackle, bait and food from. Have not fished it since I was a kid 30+ years ago. I used to walk down there everyday during the summer months. I remember big bonita boiling all the time. I would toss a diamond jig with about 5 feathers tied up the line about a foot apart. I would hook up on one bonita and let it swim around until all the feathers and diamond jig had a fish. 5lb + bonies all the time. I would sell them for $1.50 to the asians that would ask for them then go get pizza at Perry's and watch the girl's go by on skates. Man those were the days.

bsp
09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Hrmmms I remember the end of the pier being square. . .
I do not think it is Manhattan Beach. I'll do a little more research though.

FYI: That's not me in the picture. I just love the picture.
I shoot an Infiniti Legend.

It probably is Redondo then, and that is a very nice gun. My friends shoot Marq 6s.

smalweld
09-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Could it have been the Redondo Sportfishing pier... Think that was out of wood also. Used to hang out at the Hermosa pier 20 odd summer's ago.. Never went fishing but did do alot of partying in the south bay :) The only building I remember seeing at the end of the Hermosa Pier was a bait shop?? Went there a few years ago and there was no building there.
Sean

lilmystery246
11-13-2008, 08:16 PM
it has to be manhatten beach pier or if not its santa monica but its not concrete well good luck on trying to find it

lilmystery246
11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
The pier is still there and yes they used to have a building at the end that you could by tackle, bait and food from. Have not fished it since I was a kid 30+ years ago. I used to walk down there everyday during the summer months. I remember big bonita boiling all the time. I would toss a diamond jig with about 5 feathers tied up the line about a foot apart. I would hook up on one bonita and let it swim around until all the feathers and diamond jig had a fish. 5lb + bonies all the time. I would sell them for $1.50 to the asians that would ask for them then go get pizza at Perry's and watch the girl's go by on skates. Man those were the days.

thats good lol that whould be a fun thing to do after fishing :ROFL: