PDA

View Full Version : where to go?

bigboom44
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
was planning on going up to the eastern sierras this sunday monday for a quick trip. taking my brother who has never gone. is it still good up there? if so any ideas where we can go to get into some decent fishing? please any info will help. thank you. later

Joshua
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
was planning on going up to the eastern sierras this sunday monday for a quick trip. taking my brother who has never gone. is it still good up there? if so any ideas where we can go to get into some decent fishing? please any info will help. thank you. later
First off, IT IS ALWAYS good in the sierras. GIVEN
I know the Bishop area really well and it will always produce fish if you are willing to move around. Hit a creek and if it aint happen move 100 yards
DOnt know what the water level looks like. But I am guessing low. Sierra Smitty is the owner of Parchers Lodge up on Bishop South Fork. Hit him up. He is a cool dude and HONEST. Can a fisherman be truely honest:Rolls Eyes:
I digress

I would seriously consider Mammoth Lakes. there are several lakes within a short distance and they seem to kick out some big fish each week, I prefer quantity with a mix of quality. I am like a child, I need a steady bite to keep my interest

If you want to hit up Bishop send me a PM and I will dial you in. I know there are people that know the area better than I do, but I do well in this watershed.

retired/lasd
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
I would hit the Upper Owens River, The fishing has been great on my last two trips in the past month. DFG has really stocked it heavy and its full of fish.

billy b
09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
What, exactly, do you mean by the "Upper Owens?" Are you talking about turning off at the little green church and places nearby?

retired/lasd
09-20-2008, 02:33 PM
The Upper Owens River is the section of the river that you get to from Benton Crossing, at the little Green Church. You can fish north of Benton Crossing, a section that has gear and size restrictions. The section of the river south of the bridge is general regs. but has a closure period during the first part and last part of the season.

The lower Owens in the Bishop area is open year around, it has great fishing in late fall and during the winter. Its has restrictions in the wild trout section..

The middle section of the Owens River is considered the Gorge area, its not easy to get to. Its the section of river from Crowley Dam down to the Lower Owens at the Power Plant..

Mister Twister
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
For a one day trip Independence is a hour shorter, pm me , I know the local spots. Not the woods, but if you want to catch your limits and then some they stocked this week.Easy access to these spots and no crowds.I'll be up late as I have to cover a late shift sunday night and will sleep all day tomarrow.

Mister Twister
09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
was planning on going up to the eastern sierras this sunday monday for a quick trip. taking my brother who has never gone. is it still good up there? if so any ideas where we can go to get into some decent fishing? please any info will help. thank you. laterCheck thread in general discussion for info on Owens Valley

sierraslam
09-23-2008, 07:00 AM
The upper Owens is really good for stockers right now. I was there last Saturday and caught fish at every bend. got lots of fish out of Tioga and Saddlebag Lake. good fishin!