PDA

View Full Version : west walker and little walker

sktruth
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
i am leaving thursday night and will be returning sunday. I will be fishing the west walker and the little walker. Has anyone been up that direction in a while? Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. I know the water is a little low, but that means bigger pools. Thanks in advance.
tight lines

Trout-Slayer77
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
from kens sportings goods in bridgeport.

WESTWALKERRIVER
The west is still producing lots of good reports, the water is low but there seems to be plenty of fish. It’s just a matter of searching out the deeper pools where the fish are holding and getting after it. They’ve been catching fish on eggs, crawlers and spinners as well as flies. For the fly anglers the hoppers are still out during the day so that’s a good bet, as well as nymphs like princes and pheasant tails on the bottom.

sktruth
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
appreciate it, ty

slief
09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I fished the west walker river for a few hours late last month and it was slow and low for us. I didn't bother busting out the fly rod which would have probably produced better results but we did manage a few on flylined crawlers in some of the deeper pools that we could see from the highway. Saw other fish with lock jaw. We used some split shot to get the crawlers down if the current dictated.. You might also consider the east walker which is just outside of bridgeport. If you feel like making the journey, Tioga lake up Tioga pass was off the hook in the afternoon the day we tried the walker. Since the fishing was slow on the walker we decided to head up Tioga pass which was on the way back to Silver lake on the June lake loop and it was well worth it. We stopped at the first turnout and slayed them from about 2PM till 4:30 using power bait, night crawler thomas bouyants etc. Would love to fish Tioga in the early AM or late afternoon! It is amazingly beautiful up there! There is also ellery lake there and Saddlebag. All of which are just a handful of miles up the pass from the 395 and not far from Bridgeport!

billy b
09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
How far up are each one from 395? And, how does each one rank? Any problems during late fall ... if the pass is closed ... are they still accesible? (assuming it's not after October, I guess)

Thanks for the help

DCCTrouserTrout
09-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Walker river??? LUCKY

slief
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
How far up are each one from 395? And, how does each one rank? Any problems during late fall ... if the pass is closed ... are they still accesible? (assuming it's not after October, I guess)

Thanks for the help

Pass closes sometime during the fall. I would suspect the weather conditions have something to do with that.. Ellery is the first lake up the pass. I think it is about 7 miles or so from the 395. Tioga is a few miles further. I would make Tioga my first stop if I were doing it again. Crystal clear water, good size lake and fish all over that you can see from the road and shore. A boat with an electric motor, kayak or canoe would be off the hook there! Tioaga pass is an amazing place with sheer cliffs all around and some of the best views I have ever seen in the Sierras! Of course that is the east entrance to Yosemite so I guess that should be expected. Well worth the trip and if camping is on your agenda, there were camp grounds at the shore of Tioga lake.

pasadenafishin
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Wes Welker? LOL lmao

Rubble
09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
For locations,distances,etc......check this out.

http://www.395.com/

gwjones00
09-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Pass closes sometime during the fall. I would suspect the weather conditions have something to do with that.. Ellery is the first lake up the pass. I think it is about 7 miles or so from the 395. Tioga is a few miles further. I would make Tioga my first stop if I were doing it again. Crystal clear water, good size lake and fish all over that you can see from the road and shore. A boat with an electric motor, kayak or canoe would be off the hook there! Tioaga pass is an amazing place with sheer cliffs all around and some of the best views I have ever seen in the Sierras! Of course that is the east entrance to Yosemite so I guess that should be expected. Well worth the trip and if camping is on your agenda, there were camp grounds at the shore of Tioga lake.

The pass closes after the first significant snowfall of the year. But, even if it closes, long periods without snow will allow the pass to re-open. Tioga Pass typically doesn't close until sometime in early November. Caltrans lists closing dates for the last few years here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm. The bigger issue is most resorts/marinas close sometime between Labor Day and the middle of October.