PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor Jetty

guest007
09-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Anybody hooped off of it before? I'm going to scout it out tomorrow, see if their are some nooks where you could get a hoop in and out fairly easily. Just wondering if anybody here has had success off of it.

HESBROS
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I have never tried the area. What area are you thinking? inside or outside? And from boat or the rocks? If I were going to hit it up, I would try the ends of the both walls.
Eddie

tunagod1
09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
The newport jetty is very shallow, if you work at the base of the rocks, your in about 10 feet. I've seen guys work this jetty in a small aluminum boat or inflatable. The lobsters are on the small side, barely legal. This not a good location if you have a larger boat, in my opinion, small boats ok.

Tuna

Saba Slayer
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Guys...I'm only going to say this once...Loose Lips Sink Ships...and Rocks don't move!!!
There are a lot of lurkers out there and even some who respond just to get more info!!!
The more you guys talk about specific spots, the bigger the crowds are going to be on that spot. If you like having 20 of your closest new friends hooping next to you, keep it up. You'll certainly get them and maybe more. If you guys need to get specific about spots then e-mail or PM the guy but please don't broadcast it!!! You are only cutting your own throat!!!
I live in PV...so I think having everyone hoop in Newport is a great idea...enjoy your new friends tunagod1 and guest007.
Jim / Saba Slayer

samgann93
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
i agree with saba.

not trying to be rude. but pm'ing is a better idea.

Re8elmonk0341
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree!!! I know this is a forum and all to post but there's ALOT of lurkers that don't contribute and just read and steal spots. Use the gift of the PM...trust me it WORKS.

There's this spot I think Im gonna check out on opening night...might even take the wifey with me. Plenty of legal bugs and it's not to far from where I live.....RED LOBSTERS. hahahahah

Saba Slayer
09-23-2008, 08:22 AM
I co-moderate another Lobster Hooping board and in my posting guidelines I suggest that folks don't post about exact spots...but I do think we can all help each other by posting other pertinant info on your reports. Like what bait seemed to work the best and when they crawled best (early or late) what the conditions were like and the tides effect on the crawl.. you know info like that! All this info can really help to make or break a nights hooping.
Hope this helps.
Jim / Saba Slayer

Bowlfrogg
09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah I am thinking about just going to >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ya know the spot I got my limit in 30 min last year so join me at >>>>>>>>>>>>> see ya there oh yeah you take>>>>>>>>>> then turn left at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> park near the >>>>>>>>>>>>>> and walk on down.. see ya there..

Glad I could help

guest007
09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the good responses, Tuna and Hesbros. I didn't make it down there last week, I hope to go Thurs to check things out. I was going to hoop off the rocks, that's why I need to go scout it out.
Saba, I understand what your saying, but the Newport Jetties aren't a big secret, and the season is still over 10 days away. I'm just going to go down there, soak a couple nets, and hopefully catch a few legals for dinner some night. However, should I be lucky enough to start pulling 3+lbers. I'll be sure to post here, saying how bad and difficult it was to hoop there.

Saba Slayer
09-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Saba, I understand what your saying, but the Newport Jetties aren't a big secret, and the season is still over 10 days away. .
I'm not sure where you're hooping at, but our season starts in 3 days.
None of the breakwalls or jettys are a big secret, but they do get crowded when the word gets out that the Bugs are crawling there...Whatever!!!
Only trying to help.
Jim / Saba Slayer

vagabond
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
007 have you tried redondo,ive had good luck on that jetty.might loose a net or two but whos counting.keep up your posts

Re8elmonk0341
09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure where you're hooping at, but our season starts in 3 days.
None of the breakwalls or jettys are a big secret, but they do get crowded when the word gets out that the Bugs are crawling there...Whatever!!!
Only trying to help.
Jim / Saba Slayer

Jim, awesome seminar at OEX the other night. Learned alot both from that and the DVD. My wife won a t-shirt for answer your pop quiz. Thanks again.