PDA

View Full Version : Hooping tips by Hesbros

HESBROS
09-18-2008, 01:03 PM
I would like to start off by saying that I do not claim to be a pro or expert hoop netter. I just want to share my experience and idea’s with all. And maybe others will also contribute.

Part I.

The Gear:
As many of you know, the standard length on the ropes that come with hoop nets is 100ft. We don’t fish in more than 50 ft usually, so we cut our ropes to 50ft to make them more manageable. We kept the other 50ft sections in case we need to add them back on if we are fishing deeper.

The top floats that come standard on the set ups are very small. They are difficult for you and other boaters to see. You can easily change them out. We use water jugs with glow sticks so they stand out. Promar also makes some larger floats that can be purchased. You can even add some reflective tape to your main float if you like.

Remember, hooping is done at times along jetties and rock walls. Wrapping a line in your prop can stop your engine and cause you to drift towards the wall in certain conditions.

Bait cages are a must, if you don’t have them, get them, or you may go through a lot of bait. Sea lions will go down to the bottom and tear your nets apart to get the bait out of the standard built in bait pouches. They will even grab the nets while you are pulling them, so be prepared, they can take you over the side.

You will also need a measuring device. You can purchase them at the places that sell the hoop nets. Be sure to measure the opening for accuracy. It should be 3.25 inches. It will be your ticket, not the company’s if you have a short lobster. Maybe even consider filing off a little more so you know for sure your lobsters are legal. I was almost issued a citation by DFG for a short, turns out my device was cut short during manufacturing. Also be sure to measure correctly.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ehesbol/Lobster.png

Thats all for the moment, anyone have any other suggestions?

Re8elmonk0341
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
What I do, instead of cutting the rope. I would zip-tie a 10oz sinker to the end of the rope and when I set the nets I would let the end of the rope (with the sinker) sink with it. That way there's no floating rope to get caught up on props. Cool tip I learned from watching the Hoopnetting video.

mg2969
09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
a GREAT (IMHO) baitcage for cheap $$$
Is the Suet Cage normally found in the garden section at Wallymart.
(like $2 or 3 )

HESBROS
09-19-2008, 11:48 AM
As far as the extra rope goes. We like to do one of two things. If you are using a water just like we do, you can wind the extra rope onto the jug, and we have a carabiner clip that we put a few wraps on and it holds the line on the jug. Or, we coil up the extra rope and bunch it together and zip tie it right below the top float.

chris
09-20-2008, 08:28 AM
great tips
i need to go buy a bulk spool of rope and some water bottles
I just picked up a case of eclipses.( got a good deal on them)
I think I'm going to try to get those promar flashers and a 100 pack
of glow sticks for back up. It should be a great season.

trlrtrsh67
09-20-2008, 09:12 PM
a GREAT (IMHO) baitcage for cheap $$$
Is the Suet Cage normally found in the garden section at Wallymart.
(like $2 or 3 )

Great tip...$2.73 a piece! Appreciate the info, i cleaned out the Redlands Wal-Mart supply!!

Red Drum
09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
What harbor/breakwall do you normally hoop out of? Good info that you've provided, inquiring minds need to know more. Thanks in advance.

mg2969
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I assume the question is for Hesbros.
Anywhere theres structure...

Lobster tip # 2
Garrity led light sticks work great.
Batteries are non-replaceable though (watch batteries - cost more then the light, even if you were to get it open)

I turn em on
Stick em in a ziplock bag
THan jam the bag in a Knudsen Milk jug
(qt/1/2 gallon/ gallon - should all work)

Kundsen milk jugs are better and last longer than the others because the opening with the threads are reinforced, rather then just regular milk jug plastic.

I did however get some Promar LED lights and will report on how well they work. 3 things I did notice off the top about Promar lights and their superiority to garrity.

1. THeir waterproof
2. The batteries are replaceable
3. They come with a second set of batteries.

MikeG