PDA

View Full Version : 9-17 Pursuit 22nd St.

russ88
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
My original plan was rockfishing off Pierpoint for the first time. The Socal was not going out so change of plan 22nd St. landing aboard the Pursuit. Condition was overcast with the afternoon winds. This is my first Catalina trip. I was very excited!!! I drank a little too much the night b4 to help me sleep so guess what?? Felt like shiat in the mornin!!!! Blew chunks twice on the way to Catalina. I was hung over n seasick. I just kept loading up on water and Advil. First stop was steady pickins on calicos with a few shorts. I also landed a nice barracuda. This one was a drag screamer. Felt a little better after that. I guess pulling on fish cured my sickness! lol Next stop was pretty wide open. FRENZY TIME!!! I don't do too well at times like this. I get too excited!!! Cast, backlash then while picking on a backlash i get picked up and knots up even more.....Bonies on one side then calicos on the other. They’re both fun to catch. Bonitos pulls harder but the calicos was tough to pull out of the kelp. So basically pick your poison. I had to fish the sardine outside of the kelp line. If not then I just get smoked and loose the fish in the kelps. Too hard to pull the calicos out of the kelps! I tried throwing plastics on every stop but never got anything with it. I just couldn’t stick with it. Too much action on live bait to pass up. Third stop started slow but when it picked up the bite was crazy. There were times when a school would pass our side and all 5 of us would set the hook simultaneously. Bent rods to my left and right. Now that’s fun!! I also started copying the guy next to me and started bouncing bonitos over the rail. He had me yelling “BOUNCE” Lol Gotta love the saltwater action. On the last stop I got lucky and managed to land a Yellow on light tackle. Almost spooled me too! Well here's a couple pics. Also, I’m pretty new to cattle boat fishing but I have to say that the Pursuit crew is TOP NOTCH! They were very helpful and friendly. Thanks Pursuit for a great trip! Traded JP$ for passes and had all my fish fillet for free!

Jackpot YT weighed 17 and change. On the curado 300 with 15lb izor xxx. I got worked!!! But this Yellow Wanted to DIE!! So I Killed it….lol Pokerface THANKS for the tips!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/PursuitJP.jpg

Great fighters!!!!!!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/bonie.jpg

Kill obet n his bro in law’s bounty!!! Calicos, Bonitos n Barracudas!!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/fishylooking.jpg

DavidE
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Great Report!!! Love fighhtin Bonies on the Curado 300 .... Way fun !!!!!!!!

kpn
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
What? Russel fished the salt and got sea sick :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:. Great job on the yellow & big bonito buddy. I got to get some tuna & yellow one of these day.....

KPN.

boxl0bster
09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
damn those bonito are nice! good job out there. ive only been on the pursuit once and had a blast. thanks for the report.

Custard
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
sounds like a fun trip. great job on the yellow.

one_leg
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Great going dude!!!

Thanks for the post.

ghetto dad
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Great job homie!!! Nice yellow...you look like hakavelli in that pic!!:LOL: Thanks for the report man....

GD

victor101
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Great job homie!!! Nice yellow...you look like hakavelli in that pic!!:LOL: Thanks for the report man....

GD

I was thinking the exact same thing....Is that Hak in the picture? LMFAO...good job on the yellow!

Gmoney
09-18-2008, 02:36 PM
great post and pix
thanks for sharing with us

im dying to get out

laters
G$

JapanRon
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi russ88,

WTG !!!

Best decision you've made in a good long time ... fishing-wise I'll bet !!

What !! No dink Calicos on the plastics ?! ha ha ha

thanks,

JapanRon

FishBandit
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Excellent Job out there. Bonito, Calicos, and a yellow - some of the best Catalina offers. Glad you had a great time on the Pursuit!

theBandit

4g63power
09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
congrats on a great trip! must've been fun fighting a yellow on curado and 15lb line. thanks for the report

supasportkid
09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
awesome report man!! fishin always cures the hangover! congrats on the jp

Ifishtoolittle
09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow, got a lot fish there. The Bonehead is almost the same size as your Yellow :LOL:!

pokerface12
09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Very nice job Russ88. It seems like a very productive day of fishing from your cooler photo:Big Grin:. Nice yellow by the way and congrats on winning JP.

Rooster
09-18-2008, 08:52 PM
bitchen report and pics. Congrats on the JP..:Applause:

Wingnut
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
That's some kick butt fishing right there Russ, well done bro! :Cool: :Big Grin:

Red Drum
09-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice report and pics. Good going on the Yellowtail!

johnhinla72
09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice job Russ!!!! I don't think I'll be seeing you at Castaic anymore.

russ88
09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
THANKS for the props Everyone!!!

Great Report!!! Love fighhtin Bonies on the Curado 300 .... Way fun !!!!!!!! I agree minus the blisters…. Lol I just wish they made power handles for it. Do you know if I can purchase aftermarket power handle for the Curado ???

What? Russel fished the salt and got sea sick :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:. Great job on the yellow & big bonito buddy. I got to get some tuna & yellow one of these day.....

KPN.
I was chumming way b4 the fishing ground….Khan can u make me some KPN bonito lures???

GD

I was thinking the exact same thing....Is that Hak in the picture? LMFAO...good job on the yellow!

Oh great now i won the Hakaveli celebrity look a like contest!!!! :LOL:

Hi russ88,

WTG !!!

Best decision you've made in a good long time ... fishing-wise I'll bet !!

What !! No dink Calicos on the plastics ?! ha ha ha

thanks,

JapanRon

My friend wanted to hop on the Gentleman but he was out voted. I’m pretty sure the Socal would’ve been fun too. I wanted to use my free passes for the socal. Lol I got a few dinks but not on plastics. They were choking down some pretty big sardines. Aggressive little mo fo’s. I guess I’ll leave the artificials for the Green fishies.

Excellent Job out there. Bonito, Calicos, and a yellow - some of the best Catalina offers. Glad you had a great time on the Pursuit!

theBandit
Thanks, I'll be back soon!!! Hopefully the action is still the same!

congrats on a great trip! must've been fun fighting a yellow on curado and 15lb line. thanks for the report

Honestly, nope...Only fun the first couple runs but the rest was all pain. Way undergunned!! Lol

awesome report man!! fishin always cures the hangover! congrats on the jp

I'm sure ur Speaking from experience!!! lol Lets go kill some rockfish....

Very nice job Russ88. It seems like a very productive day of fishing from your cooler photo:Big Grin:. Nice yellow by the way and congrats on winning JP.

Thanks for the tips again PF. Maybe one day i'll see u n bandit aboard the Pursuit. It'll be fun! The cooler shot was my friends fish. I did take some nice fillets home. a few calicos, 5 bonito and the Yellow. Gave away the cudas.

That's some kick butt fishing right there Russ, well done bro! :Cool: :Big Grin: Thanks Arthur! I'll b looking out for your YT surf report??? :Twisted: :EyePop:

Nice job Russ!!!! I don't think I'll be seeing you at Castaic anymore.
Shad is up so u know i'll be there. LOL Lets go rip some Lippz!!!!

paDDy
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice job on the light gear! Hope to get one tomarrow

Oz
09-21-2008, 01:59 AM
winning the hakaveli look-a-like contest isnt a good thing ;x :ROFL::ROFL:

wtg on the the JP YT and bonies.

russ88
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice job on the light gear! Hope to get one tomarrow

Pat I’m sure your Irons found the yellows again!!

winning the hakaveli look-a-like contest isnt a good thing ;x :ROFL::ROFL:

wtg on the the JP YT and bonies.

It isn’t?? :Rolls Eyes: