PDA

View Full Version : Poacher Owned by NBPD

Fish Dog
09-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I was driving down PCH this morning in Newport near the SA River bridge and saw a NBPD truck pulled over with its lights on. Standing next to the truck was a officer and a guy with some fishing tackle. On the sidewalk in front of him was what looked like a real short halibut with a yellow tap measure next to it. The officer was writing a ticket so it looks like they got a poacher for a short halibut!

Made me feel warm all over, LOL :D

Gmoney
09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
right on!!
yeah man i hear ya....feelin warm all over.

i see the fools at the piers that will catch shortys then run them to their cars and hide em in an ice chest in the trunk....so if dfg or pd cruises the pier wont see any fish

laters
G$

Wingnut
09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
:Thumbs Up: Yes, chalk one up for the good guys!

KID CREOLE
09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I didn't know the PD's could right tickets for possesion infraction, but that they could write them for no license.

Win win in this case.

DarkShadow
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't know the PD's could right tickets for possesion infraction...

Me either.

I find it hard to believe that NBPD could be versed on ALL aspects of the DF&G code book, AND have to be versed in all facets of Newport Beach's ordinances.

I had LBPD trying to tell me that I couldn't fish off the breakwater last year, and to make a long story short, I asked them what code I was violating in the DFG regulations, and what code i was violating in the LB City regulations, and they got on their bikes and drove away without acknowledging any of my questions.

It's great that a poacher got busted, but when he gets off in court because of some jurisdiction technicality, it'll all be in vain.

HEMAN
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It's great that a poacher got busted, but when he gets off in court because of some jurisdiction technicality, it'll all be in vain.

I think that may be a myth.. if it's a DFG violation, i believe this is a state violation and there is no jurisdiction problems...(I'm not totally sure...)

Either way... one poacher at a time is better than none

gavin310
09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I wonder if you could do a citizens arrest if you see someone poaching? :Twisted:

otisdis
09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I didn't know the PD's could right tickets for possesion infraction, but that they could write them for no license.

Win win in this case.

Yes a Police can write tickets any dfg infraction, a dfg officer is also a police officer. I know a few cops and they do carry the dfg book with them(only in the beach citys).
http://bookstore.lexis.com/bookstore/product/62301.html that is the book they use

I wonder if you could do a citizens arrest if you see someone poaching? :Twisted:
It is only a infraction so it would be almost a waste of time.

The jurisdiction for a police officer/dfg is California, example- a Chp officer pulls off the freeway for a break and see you run a red light, he wouldn't go well I am not supposed to be here and can't write you a ticket cause I'm not supposed to be here

CraigH
09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I know several years ago when the state was undergoing one of its usual budget crisis years they proposed getting rid of the DFG wardens and having the CHP take over, so I would think any cop can write the ticket.

formosa
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
this NBPD is a fisherman's friend. wtg officer thanks.

WARRIORMIKE
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
hell ya, thats what he deserves,plus some :Twisted:

FishBandit
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
This type of prosecution should be enforced. With the budget crisis thats now upon the CA goverment, those in law enforcement that are able to recognize which laws are being broken should be able to to enforce them, no matter what jurisdiction. I am no expert but I would venture to guess that the two laws which are broken the most, size limit(s) and not having a license, are easy enough for anyone in law enforcement to recognize.

theBandit

supasportkid
09-18-2008, 09:26 PM
too bad that short hali didnt make it! to hell with poachers!

CraigH
09-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree. I bet one guy with a ticket book could pay for his own salary and generate extra money for the state by walking around the more crowded lakes on a weekend ticketing for no license/over limit/under size.

UCR's Fishman
09-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, that's karma.:Big Grin:

jim532
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
ya fish and game violations are part of the california Penal code, anyone with a POST certificate that is employed by a law enforcement agency as a peace officer can cite you for any CPC violation.

Badfish2
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Inocent until proven guilty, but if he's guilty I say good

Koshaw
09-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Dont they fine you about a thousand bux and take all your equipment? Or is that only if you do not have a license? =)

And serves him right if he was taking smallies, etc.

flyngby
09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Me either.

I find it hard to believe that NBPD could be versed on ALL aspects of the DF&G code book, AND have to be versed in all facets of Newport Beach's ordinances.

I had LBPD trying to tell me that I couldn't fish off the breakwater last year, and to make a long story short, I asked them what code I was violating in the DFG regulations, and what code i was violating in the LB City regulations, and they got on their bikes and drove away without acknowledging any of my questions.

To all,

During the after math of the LAPD/Rodney King Verdict many PD agencies were given Calif. Peace Officer Authority.

Probably was in place before then but I can tell you that in the Agency I work for our Federal Law Enforcement Agents were given it to help in the absence of the CHP and LA Sheriff's Dept.

These LEO's can in fact write State and County infractions on any State Highway, County Rd., or City Street within the State.

As well F&G Officers can also write you a ticket for Speeding, Littering, or disposing of a light cigarette out the window as you travel through your local forest.

With that being said I will again tell you all that Newport PD is and has been conducting a Joint Task Force with F&G to clean up the NPH and surrounding area of the non licenced I don't play by the rules action that has been going on in the Harbor.

Trust me I have had many encounters in my many trips there and welcome them every time and the results are working.

Steve

Troutman65
09-20-2008, 03:10 AM
To all,

During the after math of the LAPD/Rodney King Verdict many PD agencies were given Calif. Peace Officer Authority.

Probably was in place before then but I can tell you that in the Agency I work for our Federal Law Enforcement Agents were given it to help in the absence of the CHP and LA Sheriff's Dept.

These LEO's can in fact write State and County infractions on any State Highway, County Rd., or City Street within the State.

As well F&G Officers can also write you a ticket for Speeding, Littering, or disposing of a light cigarette out the window as you travel through your local forest.

With that being said I will again tell you all that Newport PD is and has been conducting a Joint Task Force with F&G to clean up the NPH and surrounding area of the non licenced I don't play by the rules action that has been going on in the Harbor.

Trust me I have had many encounters in my many trips there and welcome them every time and the results are working.

Steve

Cool . Wish other Beach Citys law enforcement Agencys would step up to the plate like Newport has. :Big Grin: