PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder and Pole Holders For My Toon

Poxy Boggards
09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I've got my toon, and I'm looking to modify her with some quality boat style pole holders for trolling. Anyone have suggestions on how to mount them to my toon?

I've been looking at the Cabella's Quick Draw Model, they even have an oar lock mount, though I am not sure that they will work on a toon. Any practical know how on what works best would be appreciated.

I am also looking for advise on a good fish finder. I've been looking into the Fishin Buddy 130's but I'm not sold. Since I have a trolling motor I've been thinking about getting a normal transom mount type transducer and fixing it to my trolling motor. Again, any advise from those of you who use fish finders would be appreciated.

Anybody have input on the fishin Buddy line?

tacklejunkie
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I remember Ronira saying he didn't like his Fishin' buddy for some reason.
Socal Bassman seems to dig his Lawrence finder but it may be a little extreme for some. I like how there would be lots of mounting options with Socal's setup. I bought a Cuda finder at Walmart once for like $100 but it seemed kinda cheesy to me so I took it back. If I were to buy a finder again it would probably be a nicer one like what Socal has.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/perris%207-31-08/DSCN0554.jpg

Socal Bassman
09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I did a lot of researching before I finally decided to purchase the Lowrance X96 pictured in TJ's post. To be honest, it was my second choice. My original plan was to jump on the color screen bandwagon, it had to have the bigger screen (of course), and be reliable. Since the majority of the people I know who use fish finders on their boats have Lowrance units and swear by their quality. It lead me to look at the X102C or it's successor, the X510C. Since it looked like my wife was going to kick my *** when she found out how much I was planning on spending, I resorted to plan B and got the X96. I'm more than pleased with it and does what I was looking for in a finder.

I considered getting an equivalent unit made by Eagle (sister company of Lowrance), which was a few bucks cheaper and a little less bells and whistles. The only thing is the definition on the Lowrance units are a lot better IMO. I've also read a lot of mixed emotions about some of the units I was thinking of getting. Humminbird seems to have nice units too. If I was to buy another finder, I'd like to try a unit made by Humminbird. As for the Fishin Buddy, I've heard that the older ones weren't that great. But the quality has improved a lot since Humminbird took over.

CTfishman
09-18-2008, 05:45 AM
How hard is it to install and do you have to use a battery pack or battery's in the unit . Hopefully I'll get a chance to view tj's on Sat. I think that I'll probably go with the Lorance it's a little cheeper but has very good reviews.
CTfishman

Socal Bassman
09-18-2008, 06:50 AM
TJ has a fish finder?

Ronira
09-18-2008, 08:00 AM
TJ has a fish finder?
I don't think so.

Poxy Boggards
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! Hey Socal, how do you power your lowrance? Also how did you mount the transducer? Did you connect it to a PVC pipe that hangs down in the water?

HEMAN
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! Hey Socal, how do you power your lowrance? Also how did you mount the transducer? Did you connect it to a PVC pipe that hangs down in the water?

thats what i was wondering too.. .it does look like he runs through the rod holders and onto the bottom of the pipes huh?

Socal Bassman
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Yeah, the transducer is mounted on a PVC pipe which attaches to the rod holder. I'm working on a pictorial post on how I have everything rigged.

chansen49
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
TJ has a fish finder?

NO, all wrong.... TJ---- IS a fishfinder,, lol

chris

tacklejunkie
09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
NO, all wrong.... TJ---- IS a fishfinder,, lol

chris

Yeah I can find fish, but I'll need a depth finder eventually if I ever want good success on my swimbaits or jigs. You gotta kinda fish those things near structure and where big fish are waiting. I usually fish shallow because it can be tough for me to locate deep big fish and structures without a finder. (You'll often catch me complaining I don't catch anything in the deep)

Coach D'
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I installed a Humminbird 787c2i with trolling motor mount transducer and LOVE IT! GPS very helpful. Have never have used oars and want to get a seat raiser with swivel.

craznazn
04-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the transducer is mounted on a PVC pipe which attaches to the rod holder. I'm working on a pictorial post on how I have everything rigged.

Came across this....did you finish and post the pictorial on how you built your FF and rod holder rig?

Thanks!

Socal Bassman
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Came across this....did you finish and post the pictorial on how you built your FF and rod holder rig?

Thanks!

Yeah, did it awhile back. Here's the link if you missed it.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=23557

craznazn
04-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah, did it awhile back. Here's the link if you missed it.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=23557

Thanks....that's an awesome set up. I have an old Lowrance that has been sitting around since I've replaced it on my boat.

Fantastic....and great imagination on the set up.

thepuma
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I built a fish-finder a few years back from a hummingbird. The Fishing Buddy wasn’t around back when I built this. Mine is similar to SoCal Bassman’s. I used PVC in a straight tube to house the D size batteries. The Hummingbird unit is dated and I would like to adapt a newer one to it someday. The hard part was cutting wires from a brand new unit. Powered by the batteries in the tube just like a flashlight (actually flashlight parts) I mounted it to the tube using part of a Caddis pole holder. Here is a picture.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3642.jpg

craznazn
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
This one looked pretty interesting, for a float tube, if you plan to use a Fishing Buddy ff:

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/craznazn/untitled.jpg

Ronira
04-15-2009, 05:28 AM
I have my rod holders attached to my battery box on the back deck. Out of my way, but still in reach. My fishing buddy mounts at the front of my standing deck.