PDA

View Full Version : need motor help

DropShotMan
09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
so i filled the resivor for the tilt but my motor will only go about 1/4 of an inch up or down
why is this happening? why wont it go down all the way?

Sparky70
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Ya got a leak in your hydrolic ststem........:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

DropShotMan
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Ya got a leak in your hydrolic ststem........:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

nope its not leaking anywhere, any other ideas

Tom
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
OK what engine is it?
There should be a valve allowing you to manually tilt the motor up and down encase of a hydrolic problem.
Make sure the valve....Usually a screw..is tight! If it is loose the engine will not move up or down much...
Do you still have the manual for the engine? it will show you the manual tilt valve and where it is at.
Sometimes you may have to bleed the system....the manual will explain that procedure
After that take it to Anglers marine????
it is really hard to diagnose things like this over messages. Sometimes you can have an Internal leak in the hydrolics.
They will have pressure gauges to test it..could even just be a bad O-ring in the system.
there are O-rings most of the time on the manual release valves and they can go bad

seahonk
09-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Allso if there is air in the system it will do that , Bleed the system :Wink:

DropShotMan
09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
its a 140 merc the boat is a 1978 glastron
i dont have the manual
it sat in the up position for a few years, the guy that gave me the boat said that it ran last time he started it up but it doesnt look like it did. anglers said that the fluid may have all come out and moisture built up in the cylinders and rusted so it looks like i have to find some used stuff

OK what engine is it?
There should be a valve allowing you to manually tilt the motor up and down encase of a hydrolic problem.
Make sure the valve....Usually a screw..is tight! If it is loose the engine will not move up or down much...
Do you still have the manual for the engine? it will show you the manual tilt valve and where it is at.
Sometimes you may have to bleed the system....the manual will explain that procedure
After that take it to Anglers marine????
it is really hard to diagnose things like this over messages. Sometimes you can have an Internal leak in the hydrolics.
They will have pressure gauges to test it..could even just be a bad O-ring in the system.
there are O-rings most of the time on the manual release valves and they can go bad

Tom
09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
its a 140 merc the boat is a 1978 glastron
i dont have the manual
it sat in the up position for a few years, the guy that gave me the boat said that it ran last time he started it up but it doesnt look like it did. anglers said that the fluid may have all come out and moisture built up in the cylinders and rusted so it looks like i have to find some used stuff

Well I dont know about the rust....But it may be something that has to be repaired by a mercury dealer.
You did Buy a Used boat so along with that usually comes some TLC
A used boat is like a used car..someone elses problems that you just purchased

The way to bleed that hydrolic system is to run the engine up and down as far as it will go 10 times(..give or takea couple) and then check the fluid and do it again..when it quits using fluid you are complete..now if you try this and it still wont go up and down..pull out the manual release screw and check for missing o-rings or broken ones...Is your model the one that has the pump located in the bildge??? if it is it is a large plastic screw on the pump
if it is the later style it will be between the transom brackets.
it has been a long time since i was a mechanic for mercury so memory is not always good
How fast does the electric pump motor run??? it could be bad to but it can be rebuilt at a electric motor rebuilder..or it can just be replaced..her is the problem you are just taking stabs at it....lots of guessing
really you would be better to take it to a reliable mercury mechanic and have them look at.
I always found that trying to get other boaters to find your problem costs you more in the long run and much more grief. Most of the time no two problems are the same.
Have you Checked the manual relief valve?????
By the way a manual for your engine is avalible....online or at a dealer..do NOT get a Chiltons or other..make sure you get a MERCURY MARINE MANUAL
Outboards are simple ..BUT no knowelage about them is not good
When you enter the door to the school room they had this posted........

If you dont not understand it you cannot fix it!!..out side the door when entering the class

when you left the class room on the inside of the door

you cant fix it if you dont understand it

Sometimes its it better to take it where they understand it

DropShotMan
09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
hey Tom, thanks for the help
so i have tried to go up and down but it will only go down 1/4 of an inch, im not sure where the manual release screw is, i have attached some pics hope fully you can tell me where it is on this model.. there is a big screw on the bottom of the pump that has a rough like edges on it for grip im thinking that is it, ive tried turning that all the way to the right and it make a bubbly sound like its draining or something.

whats the difference from the manual release screw and manual relief valve???

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2052.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2051.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2099.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2098.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2096.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/photo-8.jpg

Well I dont know about the rust....But it may be something that has to be repaired by a mercury dealer.
You did Buy a Used boat so along with that usually comes some TLC
A used boat is like a used car..someone elses problems that you just purchased

The way to bleed that hydrolic system is to run the engine up and down as far as it will go 10 times(..give or takea couple) and then check the fluid and do it again..when it quits using fluid you are complete..now if you try this and it still wont go up and down..pull out the manual release screw and check for missing o-rings or broken ones...Is your model the one that has the pump located in the bildge??? if it is it is a large plastic screw on the pump
if it is the later style it will be between the transom brackets.
it has been a long time since i was a mechanic for mercury so memory is not always good
How fast does the electric pump motor run??? it could be bad to but it can be rebuilt at a electric motor rebuilder..or it can just be replaced..her is the problem you are just taking stabs at it....lots of guessing
really you would be better to take it to a reliable mercury mechanic and have them look at.
I always found that trying to get other boaters to find your problem costs you more in the long run and much more grief. Most of the time no two problems are the same.
Have you Checked the manual relief valve?????
By the way a manual for your engine is avalible....online or at a dealer..do NOT get a Chiltons or other..make sure you get a MERCURY MARINE MANUAL
Outboards are simple ..BUT no knowelage about them is not good
When you enter the door to the school room they had this posted........

If you dont not understand it you cannot fix it!!..out side the door when entering the class

when you left the class room on the inside of the door

you cant fix it if you dont understand it

Sometimes its it better to take it where they understand it

Tom
09-18-2008, 05:21 PM
that knureled screw is the valve.......I would get a mercury manual
the problem you have is this is a very old setup. Mercury changed it somewhere around maybe 1983 or so
That is very old....Most marine dealers do not even have a mechanic that knows the system and will wish to replace the pump!!!!!!
If turning that screw will not help and you tried to bleed it then i would take it to a dealer
As for Rick grover (anglers marine) he is the owner. Tell him you need his help ..it may cost more in labor to repair the pump than it is to just replace it.
DOnt Forget that screw at the bottom the Knurreled one must be turned to the left all the way.
It should have orings on it and one may be rotten or broke
You wont find many people left that know flat head ford and you wont find many left to repair the old hyrolic system.
I dont do repairs any more.....Sorry i could not be more help..If you are mechaniclly inclined you maybe able to diagnose it and repair it yourself....With a MANUAL
maybe any other questions you have you might PM me.

DropShotMan
09-19-2008, 12:40 AM
so i feel like an idiot i went out with my hammer today to see if i could loosen anything and i hit this knob and it move just a hair and i started to think for once haha so i thought this knob slid up and down with the motor BUT NOPE it was a lock to keep the motor up so i undid the lock and hit the tilt button and the motor goes up and down now. I STILL WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP, THAT WAS VERRY NICE OF YOU TO TAKE TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY TO HELP OUT A FELLOW FISHERMAN, THANKS AGAIN

its that thing in the middle a little to the right that has a circle on it
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2081.jpg

that knureled screw is the valve.......I would get a mercury manual
the problem you have is this is a very old setup. Mercury changed it somewhere around maybe 1983 or so
That is very old....Most marine dealers do not even have a mechanic that knows the system and will wish to replace the pump!!!!!!
If turning that screw will not help and you tried to bleed it then i would take it to a dealer
As for Rick grover (anglers marine) he is the owner. Tell him you need his help ..it may cost more in labor to repair the pump than it is to just replace it.
DOnt Forget that screw at the bottom the Knurreled one must be turned to the left all the way.
It should have orings on it and one may be rotten or broke
You wont find many people left that know flat head ford and you wont find many left to repair the old hyrolic system.
I dont do repairs any more.....Sorry i could not be more help..If you are mechaniclly inclined you maybe able to diagnose it and repair it yourself....With a MANUAL
maybe any other questions you have you might PM me.

Tom
09-19-2008, 11:49 AM
so i feel like an idiot i went out with my hammer today to see if i could loosen anything and i hit this knob and it move just a hair and i started to think for once haha so i thought this knob slid up and down with the motor BUT NOPE it was a lock to keep the motor up so i undid the lock and hit the tilt button and the motor goes up and down now. I STILL WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP, THAT WAS VERRY NICE OF YOU TO TAKE TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY TO HELP OUT A FELLOW FISHERMAN, THANKS AGAIN

its that thing in the middle a little to the right that has a circle on it
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/DSCN2081.jpg
No the valve release is the one pictured in the Boat bildge area...
I have to tell you sometimes a hammer can be a mechanics best freind. :)
Good luck and I am very glad you got it working...it make break again but if it gets you fishing for the weekend..you Won the battle!!
Now all that is left is to catch a limit of Largemouth in the morning and have a lake side BBQ :)....................Just kidding

Sparky70
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
If it's a 1978 engine ask NESSIE, he was about 35 then, if he can't diagnose ur problem then ask NOAH (the guy that built the ARK), if it don't work then throw into the drink and buy another Engine........:Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse: