PDA

View Full Version : winning the jackpot

gavin310
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
on my last charter (and only my 2nd one) the main deckhand was asking everybody if they wanted to get in on the jackpot. i asked what the details were and he explained it, but he said the winner typically gives most or all of the jackpot back to the crew. unless those guys are working for peanuts, that sounds crazy to me. i didn't want to seem like an a-hole cause i wasn't going to give all my winnings to them, so i didn't participate. were they just messing with the new guy or what? don't get me wrong, i think a nice tip is in order if they helped you bring it in, but not the whole thing...

Ricky-Ray
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
It's personal preference. Most guys I know will give the jackpot to the crew. Most people don't know is that the deckhands get a flat pay for the day and if you break it down by they hours they work it pretty much equates to peanuts. Deckhands rely ALOT on fish cleaning and tips to supplement their base pay.

WARRIORMIKE
09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Back in the days people used to give tips before their services. Tips is actually a acronym meaning To Insure Perfect Service. If you feel that you need to tip your bartender,server,barber,or anyone then do so. Living in Vegas for 3 years I really got to understand the tipping scenario. Out there people rely on tips as a second income, or as a main income.

I had a similar situation on a charter once too, I didnt tip the crew for cleaning my fish. I did this for one reason, they were jerks the whole time and I felt that they didn't deserve the tip. i did hear one of the deckhands make a comment and I ignored it. When it comes to tipping I am very generous with my money. Give what you feel is nessacary. :Cool:

Also the i did give Davey's Locaker my business again, and even though they are jerks, at least the deckhands they do tend to put you on fish, and that does matter too. After the 3rd time of being abused by Daveys locker:mad: I did seek other options and Daveys will not get my business again :Smile:

pineapple express
09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
it's usually nice to tip the crew the entire jp when it takes care of your galley tab,
fish cleaning, & maybe a t-shirt of the boat... especially if they did a great job on your
trip. if the crew did an awesome job all around, they deserve a nice tip. now if the
service sucked regardless if anything was caught, i tip accordingly to service received.
not to mention what i have left in my pocket after spending a hefty amount to get on
the damm boat to begin with... for instance on my 2 day trip this weekend. 15 guys
@ $510 each includes meals + $36 for mexican permit + $15-$20 fuel surcharge +
$20 jp... not to mention how much i've spent on gear & tackle. good thing the wife
is clue less about how much it actualy costs to go out on these trips :o) sorry fellas
i had to vent somewhere... fishing is not a cheap sport/hobby. i'm just fortunate enough to get out on the salt 2-3 times a year being it 1-2 day , & a few overnighters.

cappo
09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't bother entering any jackpots if K3vin_Kim is on the boat, he will win it all.

pineapple express
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Don't bother entering any jackpots if K3vin_Kim is on the boat, he will win it all.

hahahaha... not true...!!! K3vin will tell you otherwise, well... maybe. lol
great guy to have on the boat though...

deanhall32
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Actually, Kevin Kim doesn't enter any jackpots!! Ask him!!

deanhall32
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Where has the Legend been lately anyways???

ghetto dad
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:yeah, ok

GD

lizzay
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I was on a boat and I remembered a guy winning the JP but gave the crew like 40 or 60 bucks out of the 250 he won, well at the end his Dorado was missing and I was talking to this guy and he was telling me how much he loves dodos too! Well my buddy tipped them very well for their excellent service to him and for some reason at the end his fillet weighed almost more than what his fish weighed. Hmmm, go figure...

I guess the best thing is to go with the no JP thing, I'd rather have the biggest fish and win nothing than have the biggest fish and have to worry about money issues or not receiving the fish itself!

r!der
09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I say give them what you want to give them. If service sux, it's simple, don't give them crap. I don't get this whole, oh they work for peanuts blah blah blah BS.....well, if that's the case and they're that unhappy, get a better job that pays better. I'm sick of seeing all these deckies with chips on their shoulders not being courteous to PAYING CUSTOMERS. I've seen one deckie talk smack about a customer for not wanting to go in on the jackpot. I've seen deckies on a tuna trip talk amongst themselves and laughing at a guys(pretty sure he was slightly mentally disabled) set up instead of helping. Too many things that when I think about it, I just don't want to get on another boat. Good boats are few and far between.

r!der
09-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I was on a boat and I remembered a guy winning the JP but gave the crew like 40 or 60 bucks out of the 250 he won, well at the end his Dorado was missing and I was talking to this guy and he was telling me how much he loves dodos too! Well my buddy tipped them very well for their excellent service to him and for some reason at the end his fillet weighed almost more than what his fish weighed. Hmmm, go figure...

I guess the best thing is to go with the no JP thing, I'd rather have the biggest fish and win nothing than have the biggest fish and have to worry about money issues or not receiving the fish itself!

Damn that's lame. Talk about a scumbag operation. Which boat was this so I know to avoid it?

legacy1
09-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Being a deckhand is a choice, I don't feel sorry for those guys one bit if the job market dictates that thier wages are low. Why not skip the jackpot and announce that if you want deckhands to do thier job, pay an extra $5.00?

Personally, the boats I have been on out of Newport Landing and Davey's all had good deckhands...

My 2 cents...sorry, this expected tipping thing on a boat annoys me.

britheguy
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I haven't won one yet, but if I do I bet ill give the crew a little.

If there are kid deckhands, tip them. They don't get paid :Wink:

supasportkid
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
ive won a couple jackpots this year, and always let the deckies keep it. i know i am gonna fish again regardless, so payin 5 bucks to get in the jp, then gettin 1 or 2 passes is a deal to me. and especially if you fish the same boat often, its just helpin out the guys that help you out every week.

gavin310
09-17-2008, 08:51 PM
I think I get it now... It sounds to me like it should be renamed from "jackpot" to "welfare" :Confused:

hakaveli
09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I've won the jackpot 7 times this year. All given to the crew. Got some passes in exchange. If those guys take care of u when u fish with them you should take care of them and its good karma too lol

Yo Ghetto dad get in here and explain lol for all the newbies

Liteliner
09-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I won a jackpot last year on an overnight trip. Deckie told me it was 150 bucks so I told them to keep it. Almost into port the captain comes and says you sure you wanna give the whole thing to the boat. 340 bucks is alot of money. Im like wtf???? Give me half.... Kinda pissed about the lie but wth still gave them half. Really though if you win jackpot you probably had a pretty good damn day so you should take care of them for takin care of you.

gavin310
09-18-2008, 08:59 AM
I won a jackpot last year on an overnight trip. Deckie told me it was 150 bucks so I told them to keep it. Almost into port the captain comes and says you sure you wanna give the whole thing to the boat. 340 bucks is alot of money. Im like wtf???? Give me half.... Kinda pissed about the lie but wth still gave them half. Really though if you win jackpot you probably had a pretty good damn day so you should take care of them for takin care of you.

I dunno man... if the deckies are trying to rip people off I don't know if you should be cool about it :Angry:If anything the guy who told you it's $150 should be kicked off the boat for good.

r!der
09-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I've won the jackpot 7 times this year. All given to the crew. Got some passes in exchange. If those guys take care of u when u fish with them you should take care of them and its good karma too lol

Yo Ghetto dad get in here and explain lol for all the newbies

Good on you I guess for being generous, or is it you feel you gotta tip them extra for good service? I happen to think that they should do their jobs regardless, afterall, we are paying to get on.

This is straight from one of the landing info pages, "you are paying for the boat ride, live bait and crew".
Perhaps they should change it to, "You are paying for the boat ride and live bait....If you want good service, pay our starving deckhands, they work for peanuts." :ROFL:

I've been on 30+, 1/2 - 3/4 - full day and overnight trips. I still don't see how this has anything to do with being a noob. I've seen way too many lazy and rude deckhands only be nice to grimey beer chuggin regulars. I've learned to deal with this and now I pretty much see it as the norm. I still end up going because I like fishing too much, I just try to choose the better boats.

r!der
09-18-2008, 09:13 AM

That's straight up stealing. You call that "taking care of you" ? :ROFL:

Koshaw
09-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree on tipping depending on the level of service (depending on said service).

I have talked to various deck hands on fishing boats (while fishing at various places and not on the boat) and the range seems to be 200-500$/day ish depending on the tips. So that wage isnt too bad ;) considering they work pretty hard all day (or for several days).

So I give tips accordingly, depending on the duration of the trip and the quality of service given.

I agree though that it was scummy to be told your pot was less than half of what it should have been :P

DavidE
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Dudes, if you get good service tip good. If you get crappy service tip crappy or not at all. Personally if I win and the service is good the crew gets it. On the past charters I've done the winners have donated to the crew. Reason is the crew kicked ***!!!

I went on a charter out of Davies and fishing was good but the deckhands were poor to say the least. And the galley charged $15 for dinner. Chicken breast lame tomato salad and bread. They got a $10 tip.

I did my latest charter out of S.D deckies were awesome Capt'n worked his *** off and I tipped the crew $100.

The 2 examples are of my latest trips and me not winning the jackpot. Like Ricky said tipping is your choice.

KID CREOLE
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Jackpots and tips should be purely based on the service of the crew and how hard the captain works to find fish and should never be based on how many fish were caught!

jbacsaf
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't even understand why jackpots and tips are being discussed on the same subject. When I put in money for the jackpot, I use that as another motivational tool. Makes things more fun. When I win it, I keep it. Tips are a separate issue (and is based on quality of service) and really shouldn't have anything to do with the jackpot. The only reason deckies expect it is because people have made it the "norm" to give up either all or a percentage of the jp.

Eyethautunew
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Me personally I always get in on the jackpot, I have never won one. But then again it's all for fun. But heres my complaint this year. I was out on a boat, where the deckies were younger kids. High school kids. Well I started talking to this guy, and he told me he hasnt been fishing in like 10 years. He said he moved out from LA or somewhere. But that he always seen the charter boats going out, So that day he decided to try some fishing. He told me it was his first time on a charter boat and he was a noob to saltwater.

Well to make a long story short, this guy knew the whole crew on the boat, and was serviced better than everyone else on the boat. At the end the guy wins the JP with a barracuda, that no one seen him catch.

I overheard the deckies talking about the JP pay, and saying something about use "that" fish, and so and so said just keep the JP. This might sound bad... but when there is a full tank of over limit barracudas and we are fishing for bass, The barracuda was the winning fish. OH well, goes to show, some boats favor their friends over others. Thats life...