PDA

View Full Version : Camping recipes

GdHkSet1
09-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Heading up to Bishop to do a 4 dayer at the end of the month, we plan to chow down on our catches through the weekend. What are some basic items(spices and stuff) we should bring- for pan frying. Appreciate any feedback... looking at 2-3 recipes to try with our group(7)

Thanks.

dodoman
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
no spices
no herbs

just plain ole fashion mountain recipe.

cut chuck steaks , YES CHUCK STEAKS, into chunks.
dump a large can of baked beans into pan.
the fire has to be near dead or slow burning.
set pan to fire and let it simmer for 1 to 2 hrs.
CHUNK POTATOES ARE OPTIONAL
no salt
no pepper

just those 2 items.
the savorying juice will tenderize the meat , IT WILL NEARLY MELT IN YOUR MOUTH.

oh, make plenty, GUARANTEED THEY WILL ASK FOR SECONDS .

nismotech91
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
no spices
no herbs

just plain ole fashion mountain recipe.

cut chuck steaks , YES CHUCK STEAKS, into chunks.
dump a large can of baked beans into pan.
the fire has to be near dead or slow burning.
set pan to fire and let it simmer for 1 to 2 hrs.
CHUNK POTATOES ARE OPTIONAL
no salt
no pepper

just those 2 items.
the savorying juice will tenderize the meat , IT WILL NEARLY MELT IN YOUR MOUTH.

oh, make plenty, GUARANTEED THEY WILL ASK FOR SECONDS .

What's it called? Sounds good, but i think it needs a lil flavor.

chansen49
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Lemon pepper, salt, pepper, GOOD aluminum foil, clove of garlic,a stick of butter or two..Flour?Corn meal?

chris

Sparky70
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Just gut the trout, stuff with onions, lemons, shake some Lemon pepper, double wrap in foil, toss it on hot coals or the Bar-B-Que, flip it a couple times, when it flakes it's ready to eat...skin and bones will come right off.
:Idea::Idea::Idea: Oh! you might want to wrap it in Bacon.

SoCalGuy7
09-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Foil wrap gutted trout, fill body with limes, salt, pepper...

Koshaw
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Foil wrap gutted trout, fill body with limes, salt, pepper...

Or put a sprig of tarragon in the trout, coat the outside of the trout with a tiny bit of salt and pepper. And also foil wrap gutted trout.

:D

Good luck and tight lines (and full stomachs).

=D

HEMAN
09-17-2008, 09:27 AM
damn. i want to go camping just to make these recipes.. haha

Mondo21
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
damn. i want to go camping just to make these recipes.. haha

I will try these on the barbe. You Guys are making me hungry. Cindy:Cool:

Granny Fish
09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Here is an incomplete list of items that I always bring camping:

Plenty of small cans of baked beans. They can be opened as needed and heated over the campfire in the can (good with any meal - no pans to wash:Wink:).

Large baking potatoes, heavy duty aluminum foil, butter, sour cream. These can be cooked in the coals and make a tasty meal all by themselves, a tasty side to a meal, or a hardy snack.

For cooking fish, sometimes I will steam in foil over the fire and sometimes I will fillet and pan fry. I always have cooking oil, heavy bottom skillet, tongs, gallon size ziplock freezer bags, paper towels and plenty of dixie fry for pan frying. I also like to have Bay seasoning, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and some heavy duty aluminum foil on hand.

As for recipes... looks like your covered. Keep it simple, it's more fun that way.:Wink:

gavin310
09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Here is an incomplete list of items that I always bring camping:

Plenty of small cans of baked beans. They can be opened as needed and heated over the campfire in the can (good with any meal - no pans to wash:Wink:).

Large baking potatoes, heavy duty aluminum foil, butter, sour cream. These can be cooked in the coals and make a tasty meal all by themselves, a tasty side to a meal, or a hardy snack.

For cooking fish, sometimes I will steam in foil over the fire and sometimes I will fillet and pan fry. I always have cooking oil, heavy bottom skillet, tongs, gallon size ziplock freezer bags, paper towels and plenty of dixie fry for pan frying. I also like to have Bay seasoning, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and some heavy duty aluminum foil on hand.

As for recipes... looks like your covered. Keep it simple, it's more fun that way.:Wink:

it sounds like you really know what you're doing. you should rent yourself out for people's camping trips :Razz:

Granny Fish
09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
it sounds like you really know what you're doing. you should rent yourself out for people's camping trips :Razz:

:ROFL:
Yeah, Granny's Chuck Wagon Service.

dodoman
09-17-2008, 05:05 PM
you can add spices if you want!

sansou
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
If you bring a frying pan, just make sure you have something to cover it with, be it aluminum foil or a proper cover. Otherwise the campfire makes food ashy, IMO.

I'm a fan of the banana, dark rum & brown sugar dealio: Put a 1/2 deep slit lengthwise down a banana, drizzle in dark rum and then pour brown sugar in the slit. Wrap in foil, put on hot coals. Doesn't take long before banana liquifies. Eat with spoon without peeling the banana.

Ricky-Ray
09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't forget the smores.

HEMAN
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
If you bring a frying pan, just make sure you have something to cover it with, be it aluminum foil or a proper cover. Otherwise the campfire makes food ashy, IMO.

I'm a fan of the banana, dark rum & brown sugar dealio: Put a 1/2 deep slit lengthwise down a banana, drizzle in dark rum and then pour brown sugar in the slit. Wrap in foil, put on hot coals. Doesn't take long before banana liquifies. Eat with spoon without peeling the banana.

whoa!! i;ve never heard of this before.. sounds interesting...

GdHkSet1
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks FNN for the recipies and recommeded items to bring, were all going to pitch in for each meal. That bananna recipe sounds killer...

Take care,

Sparky70
09-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Sansou,

Do you eat the spoon or the Bananna peel first? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

nismotech91
09-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Sounds good. Gotta try that. Thanks

chansen49
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Like a poor fishermans Bananas foster.. haha

chris

idavis
09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
For breakfast I bring a roll of biscuits. Put them on a stick and heat over the fire. Now thats a breakfast worth the effort.

billy b
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
why wrap fish (or anything in foil) if you're going to put it on the BBQ? Is it to steam it ... which is better than BBQ'ing it? Seems like if it's wrapped in foil, there's no way it gets any flavor ... it will be more moist, I suppose.

If I'm going to eat fish ... salt or fresh ... I'd like to know a recipe(s) that is healthy also.

Thanks,

bill

GdHkSet1
09-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Okay, The truck is packed and I think we have everything ready to go, all we need is to get a stringer of bows and start cooking! Thanks for all the recipes.. 7 hours we are out of here....

Tight lines to all this weekend..