PDA

View Full Version : License required? hooping from public pier

tunagod1
09-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I know that you don't need a license to fish from a public pier, how about taking lobster? seems that you can't get a report card unless you have a license. Anyone know anything about this?

Tuna Out

cappo
09-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Everybody will need a lobster report card no matter where your fishing from (boat, piers, etc). Even all your guest on your boat, even if they are not hooping. If pier anglers can't produce a fishing license then they have to give the Drivers license number. Thats what my local tackleshop says.

Saba Slayer
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Right On Cappo...EVERYONE trying to catch lobster need a Report card...kids under 16, folks hooping from a pier...EVERYONE!
Jim / Saba Slayer

tunagod1
09-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Talked with the DFG today, The DFG indicated that they ask for the fishing license but not required if hooping from a pier. I told the that the Los Alamitos DFG would not sell me one unless I showed a License first. I was trying to pick one up for my fishing buddy. DFG indicated that you need to tell them you will be fishing from a public pier. Same goes for the "free fishing days" you will still need a report card if fishing those days.

trollmiester
09-16-2008, 07:40 PM
tHERE WAS A ARTICLE BY CARRIE WILSON OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT THAT SAID LISCENSE IS NEEDED FROM PUBLIC PIER IF HOOP NETTING AND GUAGE.nOT FOR FISHING ONLY HOOP NETTING FOR LOBSTER.iN THE WESTERN OUTDOORS SEE IS DFG

flyngby
09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
There is a section of the card to put in your fishing license #. Also your E-Mail Address

Steve

HESBROS
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
You can purchase the card with out a fishing license. ANd you still do not have to have a license to fish or hoop from a public pier, but you must have a a lobster report card. After doing some research on dfg's web, I find that most public piers do not fit the description that DFG defines as Public. Read the 2nd paragraph under section (a) It talks about unrestricted public access, dont most piers now have open and closed times?

Q: Is a fishing license required while fishing from a public fishing pier in ocean waters?
A: No, but it must be a public fishing pier. Effective January 1 2008, report cards are required to take sturgeon from a public pier in ocean waters. Beginning September 27, 2008 report cards will be required to take spiny lobster from a public pier in ocean waters.

(a) A sport fishing license is not required to take fish for any purpose other than profit by means of angling from a public pier in the ocean waters of the state. (b) For purposes of this section, "ocean waters" include, but are not limited to, the open waters adjacent to the ocean and any island; the waters of any open or enclosed bay contiguous to the ocean; the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays, with any tidal bay belonging thereto; and any slough or estuary, if found between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Benicia-Martinez Bridge (Fish and Game Code Section 7153).

A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Even though licenses and stamps are not required while fishing from a public pier, all other regulations apply (including minimum size, bag limits, seasons and report card requirements).

CoffeaRobusta
09-21-2008, 02:06 PM
you don't need a liscense for this report card....but you do need a report card to fish for lobster off a public pier

WARRIORMIKE
09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Whats the cost of a Report card

CoffeaRobusta
09-21-2008, 02:37 PM
After doing some research on dfg's web, I find that most public piers do not fit the description that DFG defines as Public. Read the 2nd paragraph under section (a) It talks about unrestricted public access, dont most piers now have open and closed times?

HESBROS, I have been wondering this same thing myself. There's also the fact that the pier has to be in "ocean waters". This is part of the reason that the little piers at shoreline Village don't count. Also, many jetties don't fit this description either, as they generally have rules about public access. I don't think a hole cut in a chain link fence counts as "unrestricted". The problems with most regulations is that there are three sides to them: how its written, how it gets enforced, and how the courts interpret it.

This might be a good question for Carrie Wilson....