PDA

View Full Version : Carry firearms?

fishing_addict
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I was just curious as to how many other fisherman out there besides me that carry a firearm (and what type) with them while fishing, primarily when you are back country fishing. Not only does the threat (no matter how slim) of bear attack slightly concern me when deep in a wilderness but after reading some articles about how there has been an increase of "run-ins" by hikers/fisherman/hunters etc with "marijuana crop guards" I now, although not greatly, feel that I would almost rather wrestle with a 400 lb sow protecting her cubs than a couple of heavily armed pot guards. Once again I know it will probably never happen but you never know, especially since I'm one to sometimes explore off of the beaten path.

BTW I carry a Beretta 96, .40 S&W as well as leaving my Remington 870 12 gauge at camp for the wife to use if need be.

BIGRED KILLA
09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I carry a Sawed of shotgun behind my back under my coat so i can shoot all those crazy red necks that try to attack me for my Zebco and my two gold front teeth.

Bigred Killa lol

mth1997
09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
I usually carry my CZ 9mm pistol when I go into the backcountry or places that I know have mtn lions or bears. 9mm is pretty small for that though. I got it as a rash 21 year old who needed a piece in a hurry. I wish I would have held out and got the .45, much more suited for what I need it for now.

Really, the threat of a bear, mtn lion, or other is so minimal that a firearm is not needed. But I still carry it, even though I get funny looks every time I run into someone. I also carry bear spray. The heat is the last option.

I have seen only one other guy in all my backcountry adventures (literally hundreds of trail miles and many, many people) with a pistol, so I think you and I are the vast minority.

buck liggett
09-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I carry a firearm all the time:Big Grin: And it "ai'nt" cause of rednecks.
Fishing addict:
Brings up a good point! Which really applies to hunters, and hunting season usually starts & ends around harvest season for pot growers & hunters tend to cover alot of ground & do stumble across pot growing crews
mostly illegals & will shoot You!

it's very common, now days! People stumble across them frequently.
I know a guy that his brother went missing while hunting, found Him dead shot in the back of his head, in the reminants of a growing operation.

Look at all the mountain lion sightings & attacks?
Since the tree huggin bush fairys got cougar hunting banned, they've exploded & will eat You.
If You go back deep in the woods fishing and You have one? Then why not?
If You can & feel like it!
Theres lots of good reasons.

Dean Wormer
09-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Fishing addict:
Brings up a good point! Which really applies to hunters, and hunting season usually starts & ends around harvest season for pot growers & hunters tend to cover alot of ground & do stumble across pot growing crews
mostly illegals & will shoot You!

it's very common, now days! People stumble across them frequently.
I know a guy that his brother went missing while hunting, found Him dead shot in the back of his head, in the reminants of a growing operation.

Look at all the mountain lion sightings & attacks?
Since the tree huggin bush fairys got cougar hunting banned, they've exploded & will eat You.
Seems to be a lot of paranoia, hyperbole and disparagement going on in your statement and not a lot of logic.

Haven't really seen any crass political statements on this board before. Maybe I just lurk in the wrong forums....

And BTW, I'm all for carrying a firearm.....I just think you're out to lunch. :My Two Cents:

DccFISHerMan
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I dont own one but i have thought about it many times, especialy for all the fishin i do in the canyons. Lots of gangsters and mountain lion. Always gotta think of your safety

hung380
09-15-2008, 08:20 PM
hk usp .45 on the side and folded su16 rifle in the backpack where legal.

dalean08
09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Berreta 9mm holds 15

cappo
09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I carry my trusty Red Rider BB Gun

Troutman65
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I would not go into the back country with out :Guns: &:Death2Above:

Quote by BIGRED KILLA :Arrow: I carry a Sawed of shotgun behind my back under my coat so i can shoot all those crazy red necks that try to attack me for my Zebco and my two gold front teeth.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Rubble
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I carry a good-sized Knife,but I doubt that it would save Me in an attack by either Bear or Lion.But neither would a Gun.....You'd never see or hear the Lion until your neck snapped,and if a Bear were to charge,you'd probably only get off one round before She mauled you like a Rag doll......

Seriously,in 30+ yrs.of beating brush in critter-friendly places,I've found that watching your surroundings & not Hiking alone is the best defense....:Wink:

Be Careful Ya'all.....

jeff4321
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
sounds like that one movie, forgot the name, but 3 guys go backpacking for a weekend and end up getting into a hugemess with pot gaurds. haha

buck liggett
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Seems to be a lot of paranoia, hyperbole and disparagement going on in your statement and not a lot of logic.

Haven't really seen any crass political statements on this board before. Maybe I just lurk in the wrong forums....

And BTW, I'm all for carrying a firearm.....I just think you're out to lunch. :My Two Cents:

Statement? I was'nt making a "statement" especially a political statement!
I was just agreeing with poster & added to the reasons why to carry one,
If a person wanted too? Perhaps hunting or tree hugger struck a nerve on You're left side? Sorry about that, was'nt intentional. I just happen to do both! Avid hunter & fisherman. 'Professor' BTW I'm not "out to lunch" or paranoid & I'll even admit!
I don't even know what hyperbole or disparagement means? but sometimes logic = common sense! Anyways I enjoy FNN, so I'm not going to highjack a legitimate post by arguing! So have a great day.
My :My Two Cents:

FishermanStu
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I carry my trusty Red Rider BB Gun

with a compass in the stock?

Skaguy04
09-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Berreta 9mm holds 15

And don't forget that loud *** Tater launcher!

WARRIORMIKE
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Do what you gotta do :!!!:

one_leg
09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Don't tell anyone what you carry and where.

The first time you get caught concealing is just a misdemeaner.

fishing_addict
09-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Don't tell anyone what you carry and where.

The first time you get caught concealing is just a misdemeaner.

Who said anything about concealing?:Shocked: I keep mine in my shoulder holster out for all the bears and such to see! Besides, if your in a national forest it's perfectly legal to carry a firearm where it is exposed. However state and national parks inside the state of California is another story.... no firearms allowed as far as I know.

Troutman65
09-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Who said anything about concealing?:Shocked: I keep mine in my shoulder holster out for all the bears and such to see! Besides, if your in a national forest it's perfectly legal to carry a firearm where it is exposed. However state and national parks inside the state of California is another story.... no firearms allowed as far as I know.

Yep. :Big Grin::Wink::Cool:

Sparky70
09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
I carry a Colt .357 Mag. 2 rounds of snake shot, 4 rounds of .357 Mag. hollow point.

imd12nv
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I carry a springfield XD in 45 ACP WIth some Hydro Shock amo. When i go night fishing @ silverwood i almost always run into junkies, coyotes, an occasional bear cave. On long trips i also carry a small .22 in the event that you are lost or stranded it is perfect for hunting rabbits or other small animals.

Troutman65
09-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I carry a Colt .357 Mag. 2 rounds of snake shot, 4 rounds of .357 Mag. hollow point.

Nice :Big Grin::Wink:

Troutman65
09-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I carry a springfield XD in 45 ACP WIth some Hydro Shock amo. When i go night fishing @ silverwood i almost always run into junkies, coyotes, an occasional bear cave. On long trips i also carry a small .22 in the event that you are lost or stranded it is perfect for hunting rabbits or other small animals.

Even nicer :LOL::Wink:

one_leg
09-16-2008, 07:02 AM
I carry a Zip Gun I made from a piece of lead pipe and a rubber band.

El Weirdo
09-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I took am packing when i fish the canals in the desert..or doing some night fishing...am always packing my B.A.R

B.A.R.= Big A**** ROCK...

if that don't work my PARA ORDINANCE .45 loaded with hydra shocks......will
just becarefull all....

El Weirdo
09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/counties/sbc.html
says...

"Do you go camping or recreate in uninhabited areas? You, and your frail wife and small kids and/or grandkids, often travel through desolate areas to reach even more remote areas. You fear death or great bodily injury from those that might victimize you if you became stranded. Emphasize the dangers while traveling in remote areas, not your security while camping. California law already allows you to carry concealed at most campsites without a CCW. "

fishing_addict
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/counties/sbc.html
says...

"Do you go camping or recreate in uninhabited areas? You, and your frail wife and small kids and/or grandkids, often travel through desolate areas to reach even more remote areas. You fear death or great bodily injury from those that might victimize you if you became stranded. Emphasize the dangers while traveling in remote areas, not your security while camping. California law already allows you to carry concealed at most campsites without a CCW. "

Nice to know that San Bernardino County still supports the 2nd amendment, now if anyone knows how to make LA county just as supportive and willing to issue CCL let me know. Not to mention I live at the door step of the nations most dangerous national forest and most criminally active streets. It's funny to know however who IS issued CCL's in Los Angeles. But I guess that the lives of the judges, attorneys, politicians and celebrities are more important than mine and my family....... don't get me started...

FemaleFishinFool
09-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Who said anything about concealing?:Shocked: I keep mine in my shoulder holster out for all the ...to see! Besides, if your in a national forest it's perfectly legal to carry a firearm where it is exposed. However state and national parks inside the state of California is another story.... no firearms allowed as far as I know.

Ditto!
I carry a S&W w/hollow points and a Mossberg for back-up.

And it's not the kitties and the "bur" :Surprised: im concerned with...
It's those bi-pedal critters that get me worried. :Angry:

In all the years past in which I hiked & fished the high country (Rockies, Sierra's, Smokies, and Canada) ~ I've run into "persons who cause me concern" twice. It's amazing how much of a wide berth folks relinquish when they hear the comforting sound of me racking my Mossy!! :Death2Above:

FFF
(maybe I should change my name to PistolPackinFishinFool :Guns: LOL)

chansen49
09-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I carry .40 Glock 23 with Black Talon rounds. remember those? haha Let me sleep safe in a little tent in glacier national park in montana.

Chris

El Weirdo
09-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I remember them "EVIL BLACK TALONS"..evil by the whack a** media..still have a few box of them tucked away

buck liggett
09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Shhhhhh on the talons this is kalifornia, but the "evil black talons" are I mean were nice. Kern & fresno countys issue CCW's with no problem as long as criteria is met? Which is basically no convictions, no spousal abuse, no mental
institution time, and own a business, also traveling alot with firearms like hunting every weekend & traveling great distances, having to take rest stop breaks? work well on the app too!

El Weirdo
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.thegunzone.com/black-talon.html

Mondo21
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I carry a Sawed of shotgun behind my back under my coat so i can shoot all those crazy red necks that try to attack me for my Zebco and my two gold front teeth.

Bigred Killa lol

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: You Guys are too much! The teeth and Zebco would come to a couple of hundreds? I would kill for that, Not!!!
Cindy:Big Grin:

Badfish2
09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Been going to the sierras for over 20 years, I've seen bears, mountain lions, crazy people .. never needed a gun. That and there's been no documented maulings by bear or mountain lion in the sierras in forever. If I went to Alaska, different story. I'd be packin'

megafisher94
09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
.22 cal. when im hunting(rattlesnakes,moutainlions, finish off a deer, ect.)
but no fishing. im all for it though

Sparky70
09-21-2008, 05:54 PM
94, U hunt mt. lions with a 22cal.? U must have the huevos of a Mt. Gorilla.:Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse:

one_leg
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
94, U hunt mt. lions with a 22cal.? U must have the huevos of a Mt. Gorilla.:Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse:

Hey Sparky, maybe he meant to say 22-270?

Sparky70
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey Sparky, maybe he meant to say 22-270?

Maybe O_L,
I'll still take my 25cal. Beretta over a 22cal. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

fishing_addict
09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Maybe O_L,
you might want to reconsider that.... a .22LR will out perform a .25 easily. I've seen numerous .25 rounds literally bounce off of water filled milk jugs, even saw one bounce off of said milk jug and then hit the toe of a friend where it came to rest without so much as a scratch. A .22 will always punch a nice little hole through a water jug. Not to mention a human skull.... Remember the assassination attempt on Reagan? Remember what that .22 did to James Brady? That guy's lucky to be alive.

Eyethautunew
09-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I think this should be somewhere in http://proguns.proboards92.com/. Honestly I think this is more of what kind of gun a person has. Hmm lets not all post what type of guns we have or carry, Might scare all the kids out there under 15 who carry guns all the time EVERYWHERE.

fishrookie
09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
well i had first hand have walked into a pot growing area while deer hunting. me and my brother happened upon it about 12 13 years ago off the beaten path off the the Santa Ana river past the last bridge off seven oaks where the paved road ends. we own property down there we took off walking down the river way down there from our cabin and decided to walk up and walk the ridge. i happened to notice these roles a irrigation lines all rolled up and hiding in the bushes and little seedling cups and some rat traps. now where we were there is no cabins, just trees the river and us. i told my brother i seen a thing on the news about stuff like this. the guys they showed were using the rat traps, they would drill a hole and put a shot gun shell in it. so when you set it off it had like a tack that would shoot the shell. these traps didnt have the holes in them though.
we got the hell out of there and when i got home i called the forest ranger and reported it to them.
i quit hunting in that area and later on pretty much quit hunting at all. but as to your Q yes i carry a fire arm it is like second nature to carry one. my dad always had one on his side when we were up there. he shot alot of rattle snakes on our property when we were clearing it out and even when we took time off to go fishing. and last year a damn bear chased me out of my honey hole at jenks lake. i told the ranger that worked there and all he did was laugh.
my brother had a friend in Tucson, AZ who went bow hunting in the mountain area that was known for drug runners from Mexico to come through. they found him shot to death in his camp.

fishing_addict
09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
well i had first hand have walked into a pot growing area while deer hunting. me and my brother happened upon it about 12 13 years ago off the beaten path off the the Santa Ana river past the last bridge off seven oaks where the paved road ends. we own property down there we took off walking down the river way down there from our cabin and decided to walk up and walk the ridge. i happened to notice these roles a irrigation lines all rolled up and hiding in the bushes and little seedling cups and some rat traps. now where we were there is no cabins, just trees the river and us. i told my brother i seen a thing on the news about stuff like this. the guys they showed were using the rat traps, they would drill a hole and put a shot gun shell in it. so when you set it off it had like a tack that would shoot the shell. these traps didnt have the holes in them though.
we got the hell out of there and when i got home i called the forest ranger and reported it to them.
i quit hunting in that area and later on pretty much quit hunting at all. but as to your Q yes i carry a fire arm it is like second nature to carry one. my dad always had one on his side when we were up there. he shot alot of rattle snakes on our property when we were clearing it out and even when we took time off to go fishing. and last year a damn bear chased me out of my honey hole at jenks lake. i told the ranger that worked there and all he did was laugh.
my brother had a friend in Tucson, AZ who went bow hunting in the mountain area that was known for drug runners from Mexico to come through. they found him shot to death in his camp.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I will always carry when out there. My cousin was a Florida Wildlife Officer and was murdered back in the 70's by a guy that was poaching deer. Even though that's a different type of situation it just goes to show what kind of people are out there lurking in the woods. Crime is on the rise in forests and parks as more and more people have begun to venture out. Remember the young woman that was murdered in GA and the same guy murdered an elderly couple while they hiked. The Japanese tourist that was murdered near the Grand Canyon..... the list goes on and on. I mean it's the best place to commit a crime against somebody if you think about it. It's funny however, your allowed to carry while in a national forest to protect yourself, even though the risk is low that something would happen and your are relatively safe, but it's illegal to carry a firearm (for most people) while walking down the sidewalk in LA. where there is a MUCH higher probability that your will be assaulted in any number of ways. I know some people will look at what I am saying as paranoia or fear but I just think it's better to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared if something were to happen. Otherwise your gonna be up s---t creek instead of fishing on the creek. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again not much in our country makes sense to me anymore...:Soap Box:

Troutman65
09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I will always carry when out there. My cousins was a Florida Wildlife Officer and was murdered back in the 70's by a guy that was poaching deer. Even though that's a different type of situation it just goes to show what kind of people are out there lurking in the woods. Crime is on the rise in forests and parks as more and more people have begun to venture out. Remember the young woman that was murdered in GA and the same guy murdered an elderly couple while they hiked. The Japanese tourist that was murdered near the Grand Canyon..... the list goes on and on. I mean it's the best place to commit a crime against somebody if you think about it. It's funny however, your allowed to carry while in a national forest to protect yourself, even though the risk is low that something would happen and your are relatively safe, but it's illegal to carry a firearm (for most people) while walking down the sidewalk in LA. where there is a MUCH higher probability that your will be assaulted in any number of ways. I know some people will look at what I am saying as paranoia or fear but I just think it's better to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared if something were to happen. Otherwise your gonna be up s---t creek instead of fishing on the creek. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again not much in our country makes sense to me anymore...:Soap Box:

I agree with you 200 % :Big Grin::Wink:

matt duarte
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
backpacking in the woods fishing creeks ill always bring my .40 glock 23 with me... beacuse i dont have half the strength of a bear nor am i as fast as a mountain lion... and i figure house cat scratches hurt so a mountain lion would defently suck! lol

El Weirdo
09-23-2008, 07:27 PM
" I would rather get judged by 12,than carried by 6." why I pack.....

cappo
09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
nice ice cube quote

City Dad
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
nice ice cube quote

"...and I'm-a tell ya I don't like drama
so do I have to put my handcuff on your mamma?"

I think years into the future, when the 90's are viewed without the prism of nostalgia, it will be clear that Cube was best musical act there was at that time (sorry Pearl Ham)

but guns... yeah, manly... I mean really manly... though if you're serious about taking the next step up the man ladder you gotta put down the fire arms and pick up the bow (and a recurve is much more manly than compound.) My brother used to have a permit to hunt courgers (mtn. lions) with his bow... This was a few years ago, up in Washington State... I don't know what the regs are currently, but if you really wanna prove that your ***** isn't small that might be one way to do it.:LOL:

and personally, I can respect a guy who says "I like guns 'cause they're FUN!" a whole lot more than a guy who's trying and point out how hard he is.

ikeman
09-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Here you go. Man up and use a knife!!! Close range, deadly.

http://www.waspknife.com

fishing_addict
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Here you go. Man up and use a knife!!! Close range, deadly.

http://www.waspknife.com

What the....? Now I've sen it all.... actually, probably not. I wonder what would happen if you shoved one of those things up someones...... you know.
:Shocked:

HBJapo
09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
What the....? Now I've sen it all.... actually, probably not. I wonder what would happen if you shoved one of those things up someones...... you know.
:Shocked:

Serious "bowl movement"....

Japo :Envious:

Tom
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I was just curious as to how many other fisherman out there besides me that carry a firearm (and what type) with them while fishing, primarily when you are back country fishing. Not only does the threat (no matter how slim) of bear attack slightly concern me when deep in a wilderness but after reading some articles about how there has been an increase of "run-ins" by hikers/fisherman/hunters etc with "marijuana crop guards" I now, although not greatly, feel that I would almost rather wrestle with a 400 lb sow protecting her cubs than a couple of heavily armed pot guards. Once again I know it will probably never happen but you never know, especially since I'm one to sometimes explore off of the beaten path.

BTW I carry a Beretta 96, .40 S&W as well as leaving my Remington 870 12 gauge at camp for the wife to use if need be.

You should always carry a firearm.

RamboBoy
10-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Do we must have a firearm license for hiking / fishing in wildlife park, state park and national park.

Crawler
10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I carry a S&W Sigma .40 on my hip while in the back country. Its usually in my backpack when fishing non-backcountry spots.

I get some wierd looks from some of the more "sensitive" hiker types. :LOL:

one_leg
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Do we must have a firearm license for hiking / fishing in wildlife park, state park and national park.

You cannot carry unless you are law enforcement.

RamboBoy
10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
You cannot carry unless you are law enforcement.

I noticed people talked in forum about they were carry firearm in wild life park, state park or national park for FISHING purpose without the license.

I wanted to make clarify for me to understand if we can carry the firearm while going fishing?

Rambo

baadfish69
10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I carry a Barrett M107 .50 Cal Sniper Rifle....strapped to my hiking pack. Can never be TOO cautious....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/baadfish69/m107-usarmy-image04.jpg

RamboBoy
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I wanted to make sure if it is clarify for me to understand. Don't make a way off the point of view.

Can we carry a firearm while going to fishing (without CCW license) ?

or

Can we carry a firearm while going to fishing (must with CCW license) ?

By CA law, you can't "carry concealed" a firearm while going to fishing.

But for Hunting, of course you must have Hunting license to carry the guns, not "concealed carry" the gun in inside waist band or back bag or whatever.

Rambo

DEADROOTS
10-29-2008, 11:20 PM
:Guns:All ways keep a backup!:Guns: I would rather get caught with one rater than without one!!!!:Guns:

troutdog
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm fishing with baadfish69 :Shocked: :ROFL:

TD

tpfishnfool
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe O_L,

Thats just a step up from a bb gun bro.. Ill take my sig 40 cal.

Sandman
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Guys,

I wanted to make sure if it is clarify for me to understand. Don't make a way off the point of view.

Can we carry a firearm while going to fishing (without CCW license) ?

or

Can we carry a firearm while going to fishing (must with CCW license) ?

By CA law, you can't "carry concealed" a firearm while going to fishing.

But for Hunting, of course you must have Hunting license to carry the guns, not "concealed carry" the gun in inside waist band or back bag or whatever.

Rambo

Licensed hunters and fisherman are allowed to carry a concealed handgun while hunting or fishing. PC 12027(g)
The section states that weapons must be unloaded when transporting to and from said expeditions. I'll assume that means thay can be loaded while engaging in hunting and fishing.
Either way, interesting topic
Sandman
Ruger .22 MRK III
Winchester Super X 1

RamboBoy
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Licensed hunters and fisherman are allowed to carry a concealed handgun while hunting or fishing. PC 12027(g)
The section states that weapons must be unloaded when transporting to and from said expeditions. I'll assume that means thay can be loaded while engaging in hunting and fishing.
Either way, interesting topic
Sandman
Ruger .22 MRK III
Winchester Super X 1

Sandman,

Are you sure it says in Penal Code 12027 (g) ? Okay I will look up the penal code. So it must be unload a firearm and lock in container when transporting to and form. When you get to camping and fishing, you can load a firearm. BUT, BUT, BUT first talk to State park or police department if you are allowed to carry concealed a firearm in camping or fishing.

Yeah, very interesting topic, feedback and discussion. Agreed or disagrred.

Rambo

fishing_addict
10-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it boils down to something like this in California:

NO FIREARMS are to be carried out in the open or concealed in State or National Parks in the state of California. You can have one but the same laws apply as if you were driving. Locked up, unloaded and in your trunk.

NATIONAL FORESTS are the only place where you can carry a firearm (or on private property w/owners permission).

So if your in the backcountry hiking, fishing, or hunting in a national forest your fine to carry, however if you cross over into park land your in violation (pay attention to your maps out there). Recently the federal government changed some of it laws concerning the no carrying of firearms in national parks across the country but California was one of a couple states that these changes did not apply to....

Here's an article I read a few months back:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-guns23feb23,0,6348105.story

Unfortunately for me because of these laws I will never venture out very far in a California State Park or National PArk in California and will probably miss out on seeing some pretty amazing sights (my choice).

Hope this helps.

WaterBound
12-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I carry a Glock 26 whenever legal as members have already explained. As far as bears go. I am NOT afraid of any of our bears in California. I never have many problems with them. I just make a lot of noise and chuck rocks in their direction. It is not like we live on Kodiak Island or anything. You are most vulnerable when dormant in the woods or when you disturb a mother with her cubs. Our bears in California experience a lot of human interaction. I am much more concerned with coming across a mountain lion. In California I really don't think attacks happen to fishermen often enough for me to be scared enough to have to bring a higher caliber. I am actually more afraid of the human threats. Gangsters who practice shooting in the woods, or even worse wanna be gangsters. The worst threat are really marijuana growers. They have seriously penetrated much of our public lands. I am not talking about your average hippy or pot smoker. These are organized members of the various factions of the mexican mafia. They are heavily armed and only care about safeguarding their product. This is just going to get worse as budget cuts continue to erode our security in our forests. Please go with a buddy and be careful out there. Depending on how far you hike, help could be miles away.

tpfishnfool
12-07-2008, 08:46 AM

Awsome !! Freaking Awsome !!!!! Here Here ......

LunkerLover
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM

"Tried by 12" Souls of Mis.....

great song ... great sample ... nice on the mic...

thepuma
12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I carry a Glock 26 whenever legal as members have already explained. As far as bears go. I am NOT afraid of any of our bears in California. I never have many problems with them. I just make a lot of noise and chuck rocks in their direction. It is not like we live on Kodiak Island or anything. You are most vulnerable when dormant in the woods or when you disturb a mother with her cubs. Our bears in California experience a lot of human interaction. I am much more concerned with coming across a mountain lion. In California I really don't think attacks happen to fishermen often enough for me to be scared enough to have to bring a higher caliber. I am actually more afraid of the human threats. Gangsters who practice shooting in the woods, or even worse wanna be gangsters. The worst threat are really marijuana growers. They have seriously penetrated much of our public lands. I am not talking about your average hippy or pot smoker. These are organized members of the various factions of the mexican mafia. They are heavily armed and only care about safeguarding their product. This is just going to get worse as budget cuts continue to erode our security in our forests. Please go with a buddy and be careful out there. Depending on how far you hike, help could be miles away.

I agree about the bears as well. I go back-packing twice a year into California's National Parks. Some areas require bear canisters. Never any problems. If we were hiking the same areas of California 100 years ago it would be a different story when Brown Bears roamed the state. Sad to say the last one was shot in 1922. I read a book on the California Brown Bear. They could be pretty mean, but it is sad they are extict here, yet they will always grace our flag.

lilmystery246
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
i carry a 25 mm with me

DarkShadow
12-10-2008, 08:37 AM
There's some places I'll carry, sure. It all depends on the location.

"Tried by 12" Souls of Mis.....

great song ... great sample ... nice on the mic...

I think the song's by East Flatbush Project, not Souls of Mischief. Got 2 vinyl copies of the 12" sitting on my 1200s right now.

i carry a 25 mm with me

lilmystery, how old are you?

tama16
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
There's some places I'll carry, sure. It all depends on the location.

I think the song's by East Flatbush Project, not Souls of Mischief. Got 2 vinyl copies of the 12" sitting on my 1200s right now.

lilmystery, how old are you?

mike, he can't be older than 16yr.... looking to screw up his future!!!!

Jbro
01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
the commercial bear pepper spray has been shown over and over to be a better deterent to any animal attack. Far more are turned away by spray than any pea shooter you all are talking about. A determined bear will walk through as many handgun rounds as you can carry. As far protecting yourself against the growers, thats a whole different thing...the bigger the caliber the better for those guys. Then bust out your clippers for a sample then flee. P.s. guns lead to trouble generally when in public places. Just a thought.

one_leg
01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
i carry a 25 mm with me

:ROFL:

I cannot stop laughing.

That was classic.

25 mm

Do you think he meant 25 caliber?

one_leg
01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I had to think for a minute to remember this one.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh410/jacquessillaire/S1031363.jpg

Here is a pic of the Hotchkiss 25 mm Cannon and the crew it took to man one on the field of battle.

DEADROOTS
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I usually carry my CZ 9mm pistol when I go into the backcountry or places that I know have mtn lions or bears. 9mm is pretty small for that though. I got it as a rash 21 year old who needed a piece in a hurry. I wish I would have held out and got the .45, much more suited for what I need it for now.

Really, the threat of a bear, mtn lion, or other is so minimal that a firearm is not needed. But I still carry it, even though I get funny looks every time I run into someone. I also carry bear spray. The heat is the last option.

I have seen only one other guy in all my backcountry adventures (literally hundreds of trail miles and many, many people) with a pistol, so I think you and I are the vast minority.

As a former range master of four years, I have shot hundreds of CZ's of all calibers and Ill tell you there is nothing irrational about owning them its all about how well your aim is! I carry a Walther ppk/s which is a 7 shot .380 and I feel confident with it. when in doubt carry a S&W 500 or 460 with a 2-4 inch barrel. 9mm is a bit fast but with the girth of a bear you wont have to worry about the projectile exiting after entrance. 45vs.9mm makes a big difference when shooting people. 45acp will stop a person right where they stood but the 9 will travel through! For a bear, it's all about your aim. I love CZ's, eastern European firearms are are phenomenal! By the way, you would never see a mt lion before it's too late; you'd be kitty kibble!:ROFL:

tpfishnfool
01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Sig 226 Equionox 40 cal . Sweet piece !!

supasportkid
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
i carry my snub 357. i leave my 38 back at camp with my girlfriend and mom. im worried about bears too!

Darius
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I carry my .357 mag snub when i know i'll be fishing at lakes that is either secluded or where bears live. I respect nature, shooting is my last resort.

DEADROOTS
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I carry my .357 mag snub when i know i'll be fishing at lakes that is either secluded or where bears live. I respect nature, shooting is my last resort.

How noble.

megafisher94
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
no, just for a side arm.

megafisher94
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I carry a Barrett M107 .50 Cal Sniper Rifle....strapped to my hiking pack. Can never be TOO cautious....

do you fish for terrorists????

Darius
01-06-2009, 11:51 PM
i believe that everyone should exercise, possesing a firearm during their outdoor activities. Whether it is fishing, hiking, camping things could happen. IF it's the two legged predator, four legged predator just be prepared. For instance, in fishing heck you bring a extra box of worms for something.

SanDimasLMB
01-07-2009, 12:18 AM
i carry a 25 mm with me

^ Perfect example of why gun owners/ pro-2nd Amendment people are frowned upon.

People, you should not be in possession of a gun if you do not know what type of ammunition it shoots!

You would need a heck of a lot of guts, and muscle, to shoot a 25mm with just your hand/wrist. A .25 Caliber is a different story though.

Sorry, just had to rant. :Angry:

City Dad
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I carry a pistol-grip crossbow and bolts with their broadheads dipped in pigs blood...

DarkShadow
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I carry a pistol-grip crossbow and bolts with their broadheads dipped in pigs blood...

Oh yeah?

Well, I carry the liver of the pufferfish (fugu) and whenever I'm fishing, and I make the assailant eat it, and wait the 24 hours for their excruciating death.

BassFreak
01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah?

Well, I carry the liver of the pufferfish (fugu) and whenever I'm fishing, and I make the assailant eat it, and wait the 24 hours for their excruciating death.

Been watching the NATGEO channel again huh.. :Secret:

DarkShadow
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Been watching the NATGEO channel again huh.. :Secret:

Haha, not really.

Just an old episode of The Simpsons on my iPod.

If you're a Simpsons fanatic like I am, you pretty much know which episode this is.

James343
01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
i carry a 25 mm with me

Aren't you like 12?????

This might be the best reason yet to carry.....a 15 year old with a Saturday night special....

James343
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice to know that San Bernardino County still supports the 2nd amendment, now if anyone knows how to make LA county just as supportive and willing to issue CCL let me know. Not to mention I live at the door step of the nations most dangerous national forest and most criminally active streets. It's funny to know however who IS issued CCL's in Los Angeles. But I guess that the lives of the judges, attorneys, politicians and celebrities are more important than mine and my family....... don't get me started...

Make sure you dont vote for Bacca he is the main reason why its so hard to obtain a CCW in LA county I have heard Ventura and OC are much more reasonable.

sgtskunk
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I just got a 357mag and told my wife the reason I got it was that a bear came after me while I was fishin. never happen I fish at the pay and fish lakes usually on a boat and I live in the city but she dont know that. not the brightest caryon in the box but she sure is HOT!!!

MAVERICK27
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
LA will always be the hardest to get a CCW PERIOD nowmatter who you elect...to liberal.

Also a Saturnight Special is a 38 :)

Crawler
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
i just got a 357mag and told my wife the reason i got it was that a bear came after me while i was fishin. Never happen i fish at the pay and fish lakes usually on a boat and i live in the city but she dont know that. Not the brightest caryon in the box but she sure is hot!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Crawler
01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
LA will always be the hardest to get a CCW PERIOD nowmatter who you elect...to liberal.

I always thought any cheap POS handgun qualified as a SNS?

fishmounter
01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I have been fortunate to have fished all over the western states, including Alaska. Most of my back country trips have been in the Sierras. I do not carry a gun. Although I have had MANY close encounters with bears (even a couple of Grizzlies), and other large animals including lions. I have never needed to shoot ANY animal. People are just paranoid and get scared. The Black Bears we have here in Calif. are really not very aggresive..You really just have to think about your situation and stay calm. Don't get near a sow and her cubs. Make slow but deliberate moves. Don't run. Don't surprise an animal. Don't leave food out. There are all kinds of things an outdoorsman can do to avoid any problems. Now "bad" people, that's a different thing. I still won't carry a sidearm for them either. There are other ways to deal with them.....

Darius
01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
fishmounter, i respect your way of thinking.

James343
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Hmmmmm I wasn't aware there was an actual caliber that got that name I just thought it was a small, cheap, pos...where did you see that only .38's were considered Saturday night specials?

Of course L.A. will always be hard to get a CCW seeing as it is a large metropolis where most of the population does not have a genuine need for a CCW but it would be nice to have a fair system here not one run by politicians looking for donations.

ogfishjunky
01-13-2009, 09:42 PM
With a valid California fishing license you can only legally transport your firearm, not carry it. You need a CCW or are a LEO to carry a loaded firearm.

Loaded Firearms in a Public Place
It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle while in any public place, on
any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.(Penal Code §
12031(a)(1).)

Exceptions
The prohibition against possessing loaded firearms in a public place does not apply to:
• Any person hunting in an area where firearm possession and hunting is otherwise
lawful. (Penal Code § 12031(i).)
• Any person who carries a loaded firearm while engaged in the act of making or attempting
to make a lawful arrest, provided such possession is otherwise lawful.
(Penal Code § 12031(k).)
• Any person carrying a loaded firearm, if otherwise lawful, when he or she reasonably believes
his or her person or property is in immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the loaded
firearm is necessary for preservation of the person or property during the time interval
following notification of the local law enforcement agency when reasonably possible,
and prior to the arrival of its assistance. (Penal Code § 12031)(j)(1).)
• Any of the following persons, provided they meet all criteria for such exemption,
such as possession of special occupational licenses or completion of the required
firearms training provided for in Penal Code sections 12031(b), (c), and (d):
- Active or honorably retired peace officers.
- Members of the military forces of this state or the United States engaged in the
performance of their duties.
- Target shooters at target ranges and shooting club members while hunting on the
club premises, provided possession and use of the firearm is otherwise lawful.

With that said, I am packing every time I am out fishing where something might try to eat me or kill me.

socalrippin
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
i went up to treasure lakes in the eastern sierras a few months ago and i was strapped with

my pops's 9mm s&w, kept it in my jacket pocket the whole time! clip full of federal hollow

points!!!

as far as the ganja guards i would definetely rather run into them. it would prolly be like

running into cheech and chong lost out in the woods with a couple ak's.....lol.

sansou
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Oh yeah?

You both are such prima donnas. Always looking for the exotic when simple suffices....

Real mean use a plain old rusty american mustad (or Eagle Claw if you prefer) secured on a stick.

Tetanus is no joke!

Sierra_Smitty
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
The rule of thumb when hiking in the Sierra...

If you bring your balls (provided you have some), you don't need a gun.

Sierra_Smitty
01-14-2009, 09:43 AM
i went up to treasure lakes in the eastern sierras a few months ago and i was strapped with

my pops's 9mm s&w, kept it in my jacket pocket the whole time! clip full of federal hollow

points!!!

I hope you go hiking somewhere else next summer.

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Now this is a Sweet Thing,

Sierra_Smitty
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
These guys are scary though.

http://web.mit.edu/mukherji/www/bazooka.jpg

Sue
01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I carry a full load of PMS when I'm out backpacking. Oh yeah, that PMS will scare any of those pot growers away! :ROFL:

MAVERICK27
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
The nickname Saturday night special was an actual 38 model. Some also refer to cheap models as Saturday Night Special...but it came from .38 Calibers. The Cheapos. we call "Ghetto Gats" and Gangster "straps" etc..there ar a lot of names, but the Saturday Night Special came from "38 Special" :) i found a ton of them on gangsters in waisbands..tossed, fired..most had the infamous electrical tape on the grips ....

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
These guys are scary though.

http://web.mit.edu/mukherji/www/bazooka.jpg

I saw a few of these guys up at Bishop last September. Hope they don't get up to South Lake.:Wink:

sansou
01-15-2009, 07:28 AM

points!!!

as far as the ganja guards i would definetely rather run into them. it would prolly be like

running into cheech and chong lost out in the woods with a couple ak's.....lol.

The smart choice would have been to ditch the roscoe and bring a canister of O2. :LOL:

bigblant
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I carry a swiss army knife in my pocket and a few seasons of MacGyver in my head. If I need it, I'll make it.

DarkShadow
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
If I need it, I'll make it.

Can you PM me ways on how to make a water bong outta nature's goods?

Darius
01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
"01-14-2009 04:17 PM
Sue I carry a full load of PMS when I'm out backpacking. Oh yeah, that PMS will scare any of those pot growers away!"

ha, that is funny probably the most deadly, ultimately they should make it illegal to own and posess.

bones
01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Seriously....I have backpacked and fished extensivly throughout the eastern sierras and the west side as well. Been doing it since the early 70's. I've NEVER been in a situation where I had to shoot to kill in order to save my life. All bears I've ran into spook real easy and don't really like humans. All they really want is your food....LOL
If you ever do get charged/attacked by a Mountain Lion or a bear ....... A hand gun is not the weapon you want to have to defend yourself. Any firearm smaller than a 44 mag will just piss off a hungry bear or mountain lion. A 9mm or a 40sw won't do the job. They will just give you a false sense of security IMHO. To actually hit a charging preadetor when they have their head pointing at you with a handgun would be a feat in itself because they would have to be seriously close to you in the first place.To actually hit a vital organ on the animal and drop it would be very hard. An injured wild animal is more dangerous than one that you actually miss with your shots and just scare them instead. Quite simply put...
A handgun doesn't have the velosity or a big enough grain bullet e.g. (knockdown power) to get the job done. The reason why I mentioned the 44 mag part is that there are actually guys who scope their 44 mags and TRY to big game hunt but I think they're just a little nuts. I used to own a SW 44mag model 29f...I put a couple of thousand rounds through it and it was very powerful but accuracy at a distance was hard and I wouldn't rely on it dropping a charging animal that was hundreds of pounds of muscle and angry or hungry.A friend of mine named Steve lives in Bishop. While fishing with him on his boat on Lake Sabrina one day he told me a story about his dog. He was walking his dog along the lake one day and all of the sudden a mountain lion came out of the woods and snatched his dog in 5 seconds. He said it was like lightning. He carried a 357 mag on him and he said he couldn't even get the gun out of his belt line fast enough to get a shot off before the mountain lion ran off with his dog screaming in it's jaws. Situations like that unfold very quickly and violently. As far as the pot farmers go..........Just leave them alone and they will do the same. They wouldn't want to do anything to ruin their harvest like ....you becoming a missing person and search and rescue going to find you and discovering their growing operation. Too much paranoia folks........ the prospect of a bunch of trigger happy city folk all carrying sidearms scares me more than any wild animal.....LOL

chansen49
02-03-2009, 08:51 AM
My 10mm will tell you otherwise... Plenty of knockdown power.. 9mm I agree sort of, a .40 should kill a lion no doubt, With a decent placed shot. The story about the dog, kinda scary.. I still would have shot the cat in the ***.. 50 yards with a pistol is totally doable with shot placement being key.

Chris

MAVERICK27
02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
50 yards with a handgun at a movable target????? Hmmm....Been there....one of those things that looks possible on paper. Add adrenaline and a faster heartbeat, among other things to the equasion.....I met a lot of people that are unbeleivable on the range, but when you put a live threat in front of them....some have multiple misses from ten feet away. Its a very interesting phenominon. Some people are combat shooters, some people are not...but 5 yards with a hnadgun at a running mountain lion???? The chances are more likely that you win the California Lottery.