PDA

View Full Version : First time surf fishing

Fisher-Fly
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone give me some info on fishing aroung the san onofre area. Where it would be a good place to try the surf for the first time. Or, anywhere in so-cal. thanks

fish_sauce
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone give me some info on fishing aroung the san onofre area. Where it would be a good place to try the surf for the first time. Or, anywhere in so-cal. thanks

You might get more help if you post this in the general message board, Fisher-Fly.

If you're new to surf fishing, i recommend a sandy beach to start, as opposed to the pebbled beaches. Most of the San Onofre coastline is pebbled on incoming tide. They become slippery, painful (when picked up by the waves), and the rip currents can be dangerously strong. If you do make it down there, make sure to wear some feet protection (cover your toes)

I like to park by trail 3 (next to the restrooms), and hike down. If it's incoming tide, i make my way north towards the power plant. If it's outgoing tide, i try to make my way down south, but wherever you are, you'll surely run into perch action if the vegetation is clear. Hope this helps!

Fisher-Fly
09-16-2008, 12:15 PM
You might get more help if you post this in the general message board, Fisher-Fly.

If you're new to surf fishing, i recommend a sandy beach to start, as opposed to the pebbled beaches. Most of the San Onofre coastline is pebbled on incoming tide. They become slippery, painful (when picked up by the waves), and the rip currents can be dangerously strong. If you do make it down there, make sure to wear some feet protection (cover your toes)

I like to park by trail 3 (next to the restrooms), and hike down. If it's incoming tide, i make my way north towards the power plant. If it's outgoing tide, i try to make my way down south, but wherever you are, you'll surely run into perch action if the vegetation is clear. Hope this helps!

Fish sauce, Thanks for the tip I appreciate it. I am going to give fly fishing a shot for the first time. I will post after the trip.

Wingnut
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Fish sauce, Thanks for the tip I appreciate it. I am going to give fly fishing a shot for the first time. I will post after the trip.

Wow, first time surf fishing and you're gonna take the fly gear. Props to ya... you're a brave soul. Good luck and hope to see a successful report from you soon. :Cool: :Big Grin:

~larissa
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
**sigh... surf fishing... i can never get it right :Crying:

Wingnut
09-16-2008, 03:10 PM
**sigh... surf fishing... i can never get it right :Crying:

Awww c'mon... Juan can't be that bad of a tutor. :Wink: :Envious:

fish_sauce
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Okay! I'll wait for your report. I've been doing some research myself into saltwater fly fishing. I've never fly-fished ever...but next spring sounds like a good time to start. It would be great to learn off of your experiences! :Wink::Cool:

City Dad
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM

My $0.02: buy or make a stripping basket.

~larissa
09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Awww c'mon... Juan can't be that bad of a tutor. :Wink: :Envious:

nah... i just suck at surf fishing. i once caught a perch, but it was because i snagged his arse... :ROFL: