PDA

View Full Version : Best fish shop in Bishop?

fishing_addict
09-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I've seen quite a few different fish shops along the side of the road whenever I drive through Bishop and was wondering which ones you guys would recommend a stop at if I needed to pick-up some extra gear. My buddies will be fishing spinning gear while I have made the transition over to fly fishing. So maybe a shop that caters to both would be best? Thanks for any info!

Sierra_Smitty
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
In my opinion the best shop for both the Fly Angler and the Spin Angler is Owens River Outfitters on the north end of town. Brandon is the new owner - used to be Barrett's but not any more.

fishing_addict
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
In my opinion the best shop for both the Fly Angler and the Spin Angler is Owens River Outfitters on the north end of town. Brandon is the new owner - used to be Barrett's but not any more.

Thanks Smitty. We'll check 'em out!

billy b
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Culvers is on the East side (right side as you're heading towards the Sierras) ... but don't know where the one Smitty said was. Is it on the west or east side of the street ? ... near what?

Badfish2
09-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Mac's .. They carry only what you'll need. I usually only go in there to pick up flies and new worms anyway.. Lures are too expensive in the sierras so I stock up heavy before I drive up. But the guys at Mac's are pretty cool to chat with. I don't like the people in Culver's ..not very nice. :mad: If you're looking for good advice about fishing in general or stuff like that .. I recommend the "Trout Fly" even though they are in mammoth

fishing_addict
09-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys. I'll probably take much of all your advice and at least go inside a couple shops and at least look around.

seal
09-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Barret's on the way out of town is a decent spot to pick up flies. There name has changed though so going north look for it on the left hand side of the street, might be something like Owens River Fly Fishing or something like that. Anyway if supply is in they have lot's to chose from, sometimes they let the supply get a little thin, they have the cheapest per fly price I believe up there.

OCGeezer
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
On my last trip (8/24) was told by a local about a place north of downtown Bishop past the Hwy 6 Junction on 395. Near a Shell station (?). Catered to Fly fishing. Might be the same place Smitty was talking about. HTH

Geezer