PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum boat leaks

thangmatday1
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
I got a 14' aluminum boat from a guy in San Diego. The guy said there is no leaks but when I got home it's does leak. Now I am stuck with a leaking boat. Anyone know a local OC welder who can fix it for a reasonable price? It's leak at rivets.

Troutman65
09-14-2008, 11:09 AM
That sucks. I would only buy a welded alum. boat. There should be plenty of welders in O.C. I would look in the yellow pages. Good luck

yamafish
09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Thangmatday1
Try this stuff.. Just need a small propane torch. It works..
Prep the surface well before application
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001390010655a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=aluminum+boat+fix&Ntk=Products_liberal&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Additionally, you can coat the inside after all the leaks are done with a nice non slip - roll on bedliner material. Herculiner etc...

Good luck,

johnsfishing
09-14-2008, 04:32 PM
My 14 foot Aluminium Tracker had a huge leak when we got it.. It was taking on a bunch of water each outing.. so we decided to take some GOOP water sealant and run the seams of the boat and some of the rivets. It fixed the leak and we dont have a drop of water anymore. Check out Home Depot for some sealants. Should do the trick.

johnsfishing

thangmatday1
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. I will give it a try.

lizzay
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I got a 14' aluminum boat from a guy in San Diego. The guy said there is no leaks but when I got home it's does leak. Now I am stuck with a leaking boat. Anyone know a local OC welder who can fix it for a reasonable price? It's leak at rivets.

Was it the one that was reduced 600 bucks that has the trolling motor and fish finder for $2000??? LOL! I was gonna look at that one if it is. Gonna be selling my boat that I just bought to a buddy of mine. It sits too close to the water.

GeordyBass
09-15-2008, 07:23 PM
try putting jb weld on every rivet...i had a 12' Wards alum. boat that leaked about 2 or 3 gallons every hour or so....then I put spray on bedliner inside...then no leaks...you'll spend about $60 on the whole project so its worth it....

thangmatday1
09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Was it the one that was reduced 600 bucks that has the trolling motor and fish finder for $2000??? LOL! I was gonna look at that one if it is. Gonna be selling my boat that I just bought to a buddy of mine. It sits too close to the water.

It is a 1994 Sears Gamefisher with a 2.5HP Nissan outboard. The guy say 25HP and the picture of the boat look really good. He sold me that boat for $800. I drove about 100 miles down to see it and took it home. After I got home I found out the fish finder is not working, the outboard is only 2.5HP, Seats is in bad shape, leaks and etc. Lession learned for a first timer. I already ordered some patch from Cabelas. After patching it I will put on JB weld along the joins and then bedliner for the inside.

Inside of the boat is painted, can I apply the bedliner on top of the paint? Where do I buy the spray bedliner Bassmaster818? Thanks for your help guys.

So far I already spent an additional $130 for DMV and $50 for the patch :-(

HEMAN
09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
you should be able to get that Herculiner roll on stuff at Ace, Home Depot or Lowes... i think the kits are about $80, I am planning on doing mine soon too.

GeordyBass
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
well,,,i bought the bedliner paint and I used a sprayer I borrowed from my friend....you can buy a whole gallon of the bedliner paint at AutoZone for like $40 and just use a brush or roll-on....remember,when buying a boat...you gotta be very looky and tell the seller to try the motor,,,or fill the boat up with water to check out the leaks...also,put the jb weld stuff on the rivets inside and out...

lurk 182
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
next time put the hose in there and run six inches of water inside the boat. if the driveway is all wet, the boat leaks. as far as the 2.5/25hp. issue, you gotta be smarter than that. i know a good aluminum welder in long beach called N & J Fabrication that has done good work on my boat. next time go all welded if you can. its only a matter of time with those rivets. buy a tube of 3m marine sealant for quick fixes. it takes about 48 hours to dry all the way. epoxy is pretty good too but make sure you sand the area good before you put it on or it tends to flake off after time.

karlow
09-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Aluminum boats and leaks go hand in hand.
I'm still finding little leaks im my Tracker.
It used to spend a lot of time in the ocean.
A little sand paper, viniger, and salt-a-way scrub.
Then add epoxy, no problem.

BULLDOGBOOGERS
09-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Aluminum boats and leaks go hand in hand.
I'm still finding little leaks im my Tracker.
It used to spend a lot of time in the ocean.
A little sand paper, viniger, and salt-a-way scrub.
Then add epoxy, no problem.i had the same problem when i got my 14' aluminum boat about 5 months ago....... it was an 1968, old as the hills. all i did was go up to home depo and bought this two part epoxy stuff "gray in color" that i have used on my garage floor in the past. now i have no leaks at all. just don't know how long it will last. "but so far so good"