PDA

View Full Version : Takin' a Pea off the Pier in Malibu

City Dad
09-13-2008, 06:43 PM
City Girl's Country Grandma was is town for the week and we took her to Paradise cove today. I smuggled a bag of frozen peas into the cooler with the sodas and sandwiches and after a morning of boogie boarding, we decided to try our luck off the pier.

Some guys had been out there the whole time soaking squid and had bagged a few walleyes. The last time we fished there we had concentrated on the surf zone and managed a nice croaker. This time we opted to try out the deeper water around the pilings with our frozen veggies.

After a bit of poking around, we started to get bit and ended up with some walleyes and some of these... rubber lip perch? Whatever it is, it was a new species for us!
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG2975.jpg
photo courtesy of City Girl

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG2976.jpg
The colors on these things are really cool. I increased the saturation of this pic to try and indicate what they look like in the sunlight.

Also picked up one small smelt.

A very nice day indeed. We are eager to learn more about pier fishing and look forward to getting out on the wood again soon.

tacklejunkie
09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Looks like those buttermouth, but I could be wrong.
Nice fish CD!

Wingnut
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Nice Bluegill! :Envious:

Sinjin Kim
09-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Black Perch (not to be confused with blacksmith perch) aka Buttermouth.

A lot of folks get the Rubberlip and Buttermouth confused. Rubberlip perch are mostly a silvery gray with a distinct lip.

Nice fish.

flyngby
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Congrats on the new species!!!

Those Rubberlip/Buttermouth can put up a hell of a fight for their size.

They also love Ghostshrimp Dead or Alive.

Thanks for the report.

Steve

Simplyeman
09-13-2008, 10:19 PM
what was the total fish count? did you get any mis-stikes?

Troutman65
09-14-2008, 04:57 AM
:Cool: Day out pier fishing. Thanks for the report:Big Grin:

City Dad
09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice Bluegill! :Envious:

You know me... in an entire ocean of fish, I can find and successfully target the smallest species around!

They also love Ghostshrimp Dead or Alive.

Thanks for the report.

Steve

Thanks. They did put up a good tussle. I gotta try ghost shrimp one of these days. Anyone know where they can be had in the Malibu/Santa Monica area?

what was the total fish count? did you get any mis-stikes?
three buttermouth, two walleyes and a smelt. Lots of missed "strikes" which I took to be smelt. Lost a few more in the kelp. Was fishing a drop-shot style rig with a #6 mosquito hook about 18" inches up from a 1/2 oz. bell sinker. If anyone knows of a better rig for this style of fishing, I'd love to know about it!

Black Perch (not to be confused with blacksmith perch) aka Buttermouth.

A lot of folks get the Rubberlip and Buttermouth confused. Rubberlip perch are mostly a silvery gray with a distinct lip.

Nice fish.

Cool. I wonder if any of those "perch" would take flies... I've got a great idea for a frozen pea bugger.:ROFL:

Simplyeman
09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
just a thought......it might be better to use a sabiki and slip on 5 peas at a time:Twisted:

Santa Fe Eric
09-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Nice Work!

I'm gonna have to try that Pea thang!

Robert trout hunter
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
city invite me any time i love malibu nice perch i didnt know they came up this far

fishhard22
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Beautiful fish, and congrats on the new species. On frozen veggies? Wow thats so cool.

steve092
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
That's a cool looking fish, almost like a sunfish!

sansou
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Nice job CD & CityGirl!

I bet you could tie a sinking fuzzy frozen green pea and get it to work!!

FishNFurious
09-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I've caught some opaleyes with peas before, fun stuff. :Big Grin:

rocklee
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Congrats on the new species! On the veges? that will be a new for me if that happens!
I use mussel off the pier and they love that!

Steve

Yeah, I know what you're talking about! I remember when a buddy of mine caught one and started yelling this is a big one! and it was a small one, haha good times!

thanks for the post!

crappie stalker
09-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I used to enjoy fishing the rocks with my dad. We would frequently use the green peas for the perch.. They would fight hard and rock you a lot.. We used old spark plugs for weight because you would loose a lot of tackle out there.. Those were the days..:Cool:

jrockn
09-16-2008, 12:25 PM
It does look like a bluegil. Maybe its a new sea gil. lol

cambonesian
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
so did you put one pea for few to cover the hook?

lol thats a trip....peas?

well not really... I caught a cat with some freshly chewed up bubble yum.

City Dad
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
so did you put one pea for few to cover the hook?

lol thats a trip....peas?

well not really... I caught a cat with some freshly chewed up bubble yum.

One pea, hooked like a salmon egg. We're gonna try the peas on tilapia next.

kansasguyinCali27
09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
One pea, hooked like a salmon egg. We're gonna try the peas on tilapia next.

I would of thought that peas worked pretty good on opaleyes and halfmoon? That is awesome though. I will have to try that when I hit Santa Monica on Sat.