PDA

View Full Version : looking for first kayak

snoman
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
im looking for my first kayak, and looking at this one. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58964_200006006_200000000_200006000_200-6-6#reviews

does anyone have any experience with this? is it a good first kayak?

ive float tubed for a few years now. and if it helps, im 5'11 and 145 lbs.

mg2969
09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Old Town is a subsidiary of Johnson Outdoors, the same folks that manufacture Ocean Kayaks.

For fishing , unless freshwater fishing especially in lake hemet, I would not recommend this or any Old Town kayaks.

1. Specifically this kayak has a load capacity of 225 lbs
2. Again freshwater and maybe some sheltered bays like alamitos bay, might be ok due to its short length 9'6" is really short for a kayak.
3. Its a sit inside. Although not impossible its harder to fish from
4. Since its a sit inside (as opposed to SOTs (sit on top) ) it has no scuppers so any water inside the cockpit will have to be bailed out manually
5. Sit in sides have a tendency to roll which is why owners always practice the alaskan (?) roll

Go see Andy over at OEX Sunset beach on PCH just North of Bolsa Chica he sells Malibu kayaks

Ronira
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Old Town is a subsidiary of Johnson Outdoors, the same folks that manufacture Ocean Kayaks.

For fishing , unless freshwater fishing especially in lake hemet, I would not recommend this or any Old Town kayaks.

1. Specifically this kayak has a load capacity of 225 lbs
2. Again freshwater and maybe some sheltered bays like alamitos bay, might be ok due to its short length 9'6" is really short for a kayak.
3. Its a sit inside. Although not impossible its harder to fish from
4. Since its a sit inside (as opposed to SOTs (sit on top) ) it has no scuppers so any water inside the cockpit will have to be bailed out manually
5. Sit in sides have a tendency to roll which is why owners always practice the alaskan (?) roll.
Go see Andy over at OEX Sunset beach on PCH just North of Bolsa Chica he sells Malibu kayaks
Pretty close dawg, it's known as an Eskimo roll. Not sure if I spelled Eskimo right but you get the idea. That kayak is designed to use a spray skirt to keep water out of the boat. We used sponges to remove any water back in the day. I have to agree with you on fishing from that yak. Not the best choice for that application.

BIGRED KILLA
09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Pm sent......

SamFisher
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
The only advantage this kayak has is that you can use it at DVL.
Other than that, I would either spend a little more money to get
a better kayak or wait for a good deal on a used kayak. You should
be able to find a good used kayak for $300 - $350.

SamFisher.

mg2969
09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah I forgot
Sport Chalet every year has a labor day end of the summer sale on ALL kayaks (25 % including Old Town and Ocean Kayaks)

Although this sale is way over, the Ocean Kayak (OK) Prowler 13 aka "P-13" will be kept on sale till the end of the year for 25 % off. I also believe that the OK Tandem is like a $100 off also till the end of the year.

sky
09-22-2008, 06:05 AM
delete info outdated

snoman
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
thanx for the help, but my parents went ahead and got me the kayak i posted up ( it was for my bday). but i like it. went out to lake prado to try it out and caught some bass. but i think i need to get an anchor or something, the wind was blowing pretty good and i couldnt stay in one spot long enough to wet a line good. whats something good to use to solve that? allso i think ill need to make or buy a rod holder. anyone know where to look online for ideas?

PHISHnutS
09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
That's kind of a bummer, that kayak is not ideal for fishing to say the least, but you can make it work. You will just need to do allot of modifications and drilling into the hull to mount anything for storage.

You can use 'flush-mount' type rod holders, those will probably work best for your type of kayak. Most use milk-crate type containers for storage and attach their rod holders to them.

Theres really allot of different options you can try, just remember to really think about what you want where before you start drilling!

Heres a site with allot of info and pictures of rigged kayaks for ideas.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/

Captwoody
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I would check the rules for Kayaks at dvl. I believe the min length is 10 ft same with skinner and many other so cal lakes with kayak rules

eagleeyes
10-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I would recommend Prowler 13 by Ocean Kayak. It's designed for fishing use and has hatches, rod holders, place to put a fish finder eventually. It's good on the ocean waters. I have owned it for couple years and love it! As someone said, go to Sport Chalet to get end of season sale. Tandem is good too if you have family/kids. Prowler 13 is a faster kayak however.

Fastfish
10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a Hobie Outback and my wife has a Revolution I really enjoy fishing from mine and the fact that I don't need my hands to move thru the water makes fishing even easier it has been gr8 for our fishing.

Fastfish

tpfishnfool
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Malibu X Factor !!!! SWEEEET