PDA

View Full Version : Bolsa Chica Surf Report Skunk

HESBROS
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I had to make a run down to Big Fish Tackle Wed morning so I deiced to take a couple rods with me. I arrived Bolsa Chica at 1030 and decided the surf was breaking too hard and the wind was in my face already so throwing plastics in the surf would be difficult. Went over to Ecological Preserve inlet and worked the north side rocks. It is very shallow and sandy there, and not a lot of structure so I did not stay long. Took the PCH foot bridge over the channel and found that there is a deeper channel and structure on the south side. Worked from the PCH foot bridge out the rocks to the opening until 1330 for nada. I threw Fish traps of all colors and LC's. I did see fish in the area. They looked like maybe juvi WSB feeding on some smaller fish. It was my first try and I enjoyed to the time at the beach.

Eddie

tacklejunkie
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice work man.
The south side is the spot. There's a lot more sand in there now than there was before it seems. They come out of that trench in front of the rocks. Little slow for the butts right now on the LC but I think it's gonna pick up again if what everyone is saying is true. Lots of other fish around that want to play though ;)

fishhard22
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Cool man, thanks for sharing the report

Cangler
09-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Nice work man.
The south side is the spot. There's a lot more sand in there now than there was before it seems. They come out of that trench in front of the rocks. Little slow for the butts right now on the LC but I think it's gonna pick up again if what everyone is saying is true. Lots of other fish around that want to play though ;)

There's a nice trench of the north side too ...

bones
09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
That's a nice little spot on both sides at different times of the year. I've stuck a few flatties there and when there is no visible bait in the water the bite is usually slow if not skunky IMHO. When the tide is comming in and it's a high one at that.......the inlet is like river fishing. The outgoing is just as strong. Halibut will always follow the food source that's for sure and that inlet has always been inconsistant for me. Nice spot though!
Thanks for the report.....you will get them next time!

flyngby
09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Eddie,

Must have read your report wrong!!:Razz:

Did you say you took the boat out for a trial run and got in close enough to fish the beach and the inlet?????:Big Grin:

Glad to see ya expand the horizons. Don't see many Dodo reports followed a few weeks later by a try in the surf.

I had the same luck a few months ago at the location but was able to pull off a decent day by going the short ride down to NPH and fished the harbor on foot.

See ya soon!!!!!

Steve

HESBROS
09-11-2008, 08:53 PM
LOL Steve, I wish I was in the boat....Still not ready, probably not even this upcoming week, they are are waiting for the right gear shaft...:( So, like you said, time to expand my horizons, anyone can take a boat out and catch fish in the outer waters. Now I have new challenges that must be met!

legacy1
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
however a few hours fishing is better than a day at.....

thanks

Mister Twister
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice work man.
I was there last sunday. Had 3 ounce slider set up and had to add 2 oz pyramid. I had 30# wire leader and 5/0 hook,took it off for 15# and 2/0 circle hook, trying for hali. Throw it out and let out alot of line in current,must have been close to the breakers. stuck it in holder and set clicker,it goes off like crazy, pole is bent to max and I'am screaming Batray, Batray, I pick it up, and a leopard does a back flip in middle of channel. Bit right threw 15#,wish I had stuck with my oringinal plan of wire leader.Nice one, 5/6 footer.Going back early am to get the one that got away! Have fun out there !