PDA

View Full Version : WFO at the Dam!! Pics!!

slief
09-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Amsterdam that is!:Big Grin:

Every year I go to Amsterdam for a trade show.. This year I decided to get a house boat instead of the hotel room for the week. It actually worked out cheaper too. Naturally, I had to bring a fishing pole so I dug up one of those telescopic ones and packed some hooks and sinkers along with it and caught my flight.

I arrived yeserday, got some food, got settled in and found a market with some sweet corn in a jar. It wasn't long before the first, second, 3rd and so on were hooked up. Best part of it.. I dont even have to leave the living room! Yep... I am sitting in a chair as I type this fishing from my living room on an Amsterdam canal and it's non stop carp action.. They seem to be small in the 1-2# range but i'm in Amsterdam and fishing! I'll keep trying for that lunker though.

The swans and ducks come right up to the back door.

I was going to put this in the out of state section but since I am a so cal person, I thought you so cal members would enjoy it.. Maybe later I'll post some pics of the Tuna from down stream!:ROFL:

Pleasurable business trips at their finest!:Smile:

Ronira
09-11-2008, 06:23 AM
That is freaking awesome dawg, definitley not your average report. Thanks for the pics and report. I got a kick out of the pic with your rod held over your laptop.

trail blazer
09-11-2008, 06:29 AM
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a job youve got there.
Always wanted to go to the dam myself

JSAUCE818
09-11-2008, 06:35 AM
wow,...i hate you right about now,....good job! enjoy yourself out there!

Mondo21
09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
How Sweet it is... :Big Grin: Love those pics.
Enjoy. Cindy

4_D_ HALIBUT
09-11-2008, 07:13 AM
That is awesome!!!!!

tacklejunkie
09-11-2008, 07:16 AM
:Surprised: looks like a blast man!

imd12nv
09-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Dont eat the brownies!

slief
09-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Dont eat the brownies!

I got kicked out of Boy Scouts for eating a Brownie! :ROFL:

WARRIORMIKE
09-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Great shots, and great view of the dam. All that and you get to fish from your living room, amazing!:Cool:

one_leg
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Section Smection, who cares? It looked pretty chill over there at this time.

Those carp look pretty fat for this time of the year. Must be eating lots of munchies.

Indo-angler
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey Slief,
Awesom pics. Thanks for posting the report! Loved that pic with the pole on the computer with FNN on the screen!

The fish you caught in Holland is called a "brasem", part of the carp family. I caught the fishing bug when I lived in Amsterdam for 13 years and have caught many of them back in the sixties.

A few years ago I visited a cousin of mine who lives on one of the house boats on the Ij but it never occurred to me the fish from it!

Great going!

fishinone
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Very cool report.

Work huh? It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

SoCalGuy7
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Pretty cool, just relaxing with FNN in Amsterdam..!

Have you done any trolling...? You know what I mean....:ROFL:

SCG7

fishfinder
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
That picture of the rod hanging out the window, has us all laughing here at work. Please post some more pics. Some pics of the ladies there wouldn't bother us none either.

Sparky70
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
That's called a TOUGH LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

jrockn
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
hel yea! thats so koo :)

DccFISHerMan
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Looks like the good life!!

troutslayer05
09-11-2008, 04:37 PM
That report was awsome! That looks like a lot of fun fishing from your back door. I love the pic with the fishingnetwork on your comp. I would make a cheeky remark about the ganja but i think guys have already made those remarks..ha Thanks for postin...

fishmagnet
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Awesome post. I love it. That is the way to do business! great carp, to bad no linesides or largemouth from the livingroom. tuna pics? I don't think hes talking about saltwater fishing either!

olfishergal
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
That picture of the rod hanging out the window, has us all laughing here at work. Please post some more pics. Some pics of the ladies there wouldn't bother us none either.

some pics of the cool gents wouldn't hurt either.......how cool is that fishing out your back dooe!!! OFG

Ifishtoolittle
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
WOW! fishing from a house?!, now that's awesome, nice job on the carp too!

Native Gal
09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
One of the best business accomodations I've ever seen, very nice.
Thanks for the post.

NG

slief
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
So I did some trolling for you guys. I dont normally take the tourist'y pics so I only had my cel camera. The fish in the RLD dont like their pics taken.. I had a couple nearly jump through their window from the sight of my phone while I was trying to be stealth. The camera phone pics came out terrible but i did get a few. No I didn't catch anything!

Today was a very interesting day fishing from the house boat. Me and my friend caught 3 fresh water eels which were a complete suprise. Boy they fight great!! I would say they were between 2 and 3' long. A few bigger model carp and a smaller fish that had a mouth like a large mouth bass.. This in a period of about 3 hours while enjoying some Heineken, the view and some dam perks.. Enjoy the pics!

Ifishtoolittle
09-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I thin kthat fish with the lare mouth might be a Perch, I think I may be wrong though.

Mondo21
09-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hopefully you got to eat the eels,they are delicious.:Envious::Big Smile: Cindy

slief
09-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Hopefully you got to eat the eels,they are delicious.:Envious::Big Smile: Cindy

Dont think I would want to eat anything out of these canals..:Shocked: All catch and release.. Our numbes have gone up since I first posted.

Troutman65
09-14-2008, 06:40 PM
:Bug Eyes: How Fricken :Cool: is that? :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

:Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envi ous::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious:: Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envio us::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::E nvious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Enviou s::Envious::Envious:

Dude, That is Awesome. Fishing out of your house. Hopefully you can get a few more pics. to post. Thank you very much for sharing on FNN. Take care and have a safe trip home.

slief
09-15-2008, 02:03 AM
:Bug Eyes: How Fricken :Cool: is that? :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

:Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envi ous::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious:: Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envio us::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::E nvious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious::Enviou s::Envious::Envious:

Dude, That is Awesome. Fishing out of your house. Hopefully you can get a few more pics. to post. Thank you very much for sharing on FNN. Take care and have a safe trip home.

Here is another carp from last night. We also caught a couple more eels but I didnt want to clean up anymore eel slime from the living room floor while we forced them to pose for pics so we just cut the line while they were still in the water.

Mondo21
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Dont think I would want to eat anything out of these canals..:Shocked: All catch and release.. Our numbes have gone up since I first posted.

That's too bad you can't eat what you catch,the water is that nasty ,huh?:Shocked: Cindy

Indo-angler
09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey Slief,
Great pics! Really brings back memories.

In pic 1-2 the fish is called "aal" or "paling".
They really are good smoked "gerookte aal", but I wouldn't eat them out of the canal /gracht.
Not sure if I should link this, but it's kind of funny espec. if you can understand what they are saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOfTi7O2sDQ&feature=related

pic 3 this fish is called "baars" a type of perch, this one reminds me most of bass lmb/smb. video of baars and snoek/pike
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=baarsvissen&hl=en&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-47,GGLR:en&lr=lang_en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#

In pic 4 that fish locals call "zeelt", another on in the very large carp family.
Here is one that is 52 cm or 20.8 inches
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6457611992984299873&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6527683414240071432&hl=en

Keep sending those pics, but pics of the "acquarium fish on the Walletjes is not a good idea.
You're lucky you didn't end swimming with the fish in the canal.

slief
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey Slief,
Great pics! Really brings back memories.

In pic 1-2 the fish is called "aal" or "paling".
They really are good smoked "gerookte aal", but I wouldn't eat them out of the canal /gracht.
Not sure if I should link this, but it's kind of funny espec. if you can understand what they are saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOfTi7O2sDQ&feature=related

pic 3 this fish is called "baars" a type of perch, this one reminds me most of bass lmb/smb. video of baars and snoek/pike
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=baarsvissen&hl=en&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-47,GGLR:en&lr=lang_en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#

In pic 4 that fish locals call "zeelt", another on in the very large carp family.
Here is one that is 52 cm or 20.8 inches
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6457611992984299873&hl=en
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6457611992984299873&hl=en</p><p>)http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6527683414240071432&hl=en

Keep sending those pics, but pics of the "acquarium fish on the Walletjes is not a good idea.
You're lucky you didn't end swimming with the fish in the canal.

Great video. They were fishing in the Amstel. Thats the canal i'm on near Rembrant.

Thanks for the info on the Baar as well as all the other info. I was at the Ardis zoo today and after a trip through the aquarium, I thought thats what it might be but wasn't sure. What a great Zoo! Got bit by a huge volture (camera too close to the fence), had contact with these beautiful lemurs that were interacting with us as they roamed free within their confines on the path through the zoo. Simply amazing!

As for taking pics of the window merchandise, I was aware that it was a no no..This is my 4th year coming here and I have refrained from doing that every time.. This time I thought I would be ninja and use my camera phone and pretend I was talking. It seemed like a great idea but the pics dont come out and I had some window fixture almost jump thru her glass door as she yelled profanities about my phone.:Shocked: At least I can do a better job describing it now. Most people can never get a visual if they have never been here. Words cant describe this place nor can pictures.

INDOANGLER2
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Slief,
Thanks for the post and pics, I am Indo-Anglers brother and we grew up fishing the canals on the outer edge of the city. The eels are a pretty common fish there, try putting a small bait fish on and you have a chance of getting one that can be as big around as your wrist and 4' long. But DONT EAT THE FISH.

Troutman65
09-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Lemurs are :Cool: are you taking about Noodie girls in the window? Never been to the Dam. Sorry for the dumb question.:Embarrassed:

Thanks again for sharing on FNN

Mondo21
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Slief,
Thanks for the post and pics, I am Indo-Anglers brother and we grew up fishing the canals on the outer edge of the city. The eels are a pretty common fish there, try putting a small bait fish on and you have a chance of getting one that can be as big around as your wrist and 4' long. But DONT EAT THE FISH.

I'm from Louisiana,and the eels were delicious. Is the water that bad over there? :Secret::Twisted: Cindy

slief
09-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Troutman,
I was talking about the window girls as were others with regards to not taking pics.

Mondo-21,
As for the water being dirty.. Well the visibility is around 2" deep in the water. A fair amount of trash and lots of bikes get thrown into the canals. What did catch me by surpreise was that there were 2 boats that achored up in front of my house boat last night that were keeping the eels they caught.. They are much more daring that I am as it never crossed my mind to even consider eating anything out of here.. All catch and release for me but it may not be as dirty as it looks. They even have boats with special plows on the front for cleaning the trash out of the canals. We also saw a barge filled with hundreds of rusty bikes and other objects in it from the canal.

I head home tomorrow so today is my last full day and I just caught a good size carp.. Nothing like relaxing in Amsterdam while catching.. The canal fishing FAR exceeded my expectations. Its time to start booking next years trip.

Now I wish I could find similar accomodations in Manhatten NY for my business trips there. Perhaps I could catch a rat on a pole with some cheese. :ROFL:

Mondo21
09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Yuck...:Twisted: The water is nasty:Shocked:.
Have a safe trip home,all nice pics you've entertained us with. Cindy:Big Grin:

jplee3
09-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice! So did you drink lots of "coffee" from the "coffee shops?" ;) ;) ;)