PDA

View Full Version : a bit rusty on salt, need some brush up

lizzay
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
So I haven't been salt fishing for big fish in so long before my last outing. If you noticed, on Greg's post a couple weeks ago, I'm the guy all the way to the right with a dinky dodo. Ha ha I know... I was just wondering if some advice can be given so I don't lose to tangles with others and hooks not at the end anymore because those are the two things that had happened to make me lose 4 hookups to some yft. I'm leaving to fishermans landing tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. I'm using an 8ft. sabr rod med/heavy with a jigmaster 500 Penn spooled with probably 35lb. big game mono with about 5ft. of seagar 100%flouro for leader. I keep thinking that my rod is too stiff and the lack of bend will break my line. That's what was on my mind the whole time fighting these guys. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Liteliner
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I would try to get another rod to go with yours if I could get one. Maybe a rental for a backup rig. I think you should go with 30# if you only got one rod.Ask the deckhand to check your drag setting. Could be your knot to your hook or your knot at your flouro to mono. What kind of knots do you use? I usually go with a uni to uni for the mono to flouro and a palomar for the hook.

lurk 182
09-10-2008, 05:56 PM
are you saying that you're knots are coming undone? tangles with others? do you mean that your line is breaking when it gets tangled with another angler's line? he might just be fishing much heavier line than you.

listen to the deckhands and pay attention to where you're fish is at all times. look to see where the other anglers' lines are so you know where their fish are too. you will always have to go under or over another angler when you cross over each other coming down the rail. the deckhands will tell you what to do. listen to them and don't get offended if they yell. they're just trying to land everybody's fish.

learn to tie an albright knot or a uni to uni knot when you tie your main line to your leader. use a palomar or san diego jam knot when you tie your hook on. learn these knots well and learn how to moisten and tighten the knots without causing friction. heat is what kills a knot with mono or flourocarbon line. go slow when you tie them. its time well spent.

Liteliner
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Ohh yeah also fish with the wind in your face. Your bait will swim out instead of under the boat. Ricky Ray also told me "no angles no tangles". Keep your line in front of you at all times. Helps you keep from getting tangles.

lizzay
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I would try to get another rod to go with yours if I could get one. Maybe a rental for a backup rig. I think you should go with 30# if you only got one rod.Ask the deckhand to check your drag setting. Could be your knot to your hook or your knot at your flouro to mono. What kind of knots do you use? I usually go with a uni to uni for the mono to flouro and a palomar for the hook.

I think it's the palomar I'm missing, I used a clinch knot and both came off. I tied a palomar and that did fine except when this guy on my right decides to say over while he's hooked up as well but turns out he was wrong and it was under causing my fish to snap my line during correction. As for the flouro to mono it's a uni to uni.

Liteliner
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM
How old is the line on your reel? What kind of line are you using? I like pline. Its strong and casts well for me. I try to spool new line every trip if I can. I have spectra backing on my reels so I only replace like a hundred yards each time. Around five bucks.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
09-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Another good way to stay away from tangles is if you get hooked up near the back of the boat and the fish makes a run towards the front, let it go, maybe loosen up the drag a bit just to let it get there then tighten it back to where it was before. There's always less people near the bow and there will always be a deck hand there to assist you.
With the hook not at the end of the line, maybe you're letting the fish have it too long before you set the hook. The hook is too far inside the mouth of the fish and their teeth will saw you off. As soon as you see/feel the line taking off faster than any bait can go, give it a MAX count to 2 and set the hook. That has happened to me many times before because some of those sardines can swim pretty fast.
hope these suggestions will help.

lizzay
09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
How old is the line on your reel? What kind of line are you using? I like pline. Its strong and casts well for me. I try to spool new line every trip if I can. I have spectra backing on my reels so I only replace like a hundred yards each time. Around five bucks.

it's a new line, I'm going to get pline next, which kind though? I think it's my pumping action that is also a problem.

Liteliner
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I just go with the blue or clear. If your fish is pulling drag out pretty good dont pump or reel. Let the fish finish its run and then start the pump and reel. Pull up wind down. Always keep it tight. If the fish pulls drag just let him pull. You might of just had a bad day your last trip though. It happens sometimes. Good luck on your trip. The freedom out of 22nd is still getting bluefin and monster yellowtail if you didnt wanna drive to san diego.

sansou
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
All great question Lizzay.

From a perspective of trying to increase your catch ratio though, beyond the great advie already profered (especially avoiding a Trilene or clinch knot!!), I see that new guys on in a cattleboat situation spend entirely too much time messing around with their gear when the fish are hitting.

90% of the time, tuna fishing is fast and furious before they decide to bail out. If you do not have a backup rod (or 2 or 3), you are completely avoiding the bite while you are re-tying or screwing around with your gear. This is especially the case when cattleboat fishing where you have to also concentrate on avoiding 30 other lines in the water.

Get a backup rod (or 2), vary the line class, and you will see your catch ratio increase.

As for fluoro, I personally think it has very limited application. I will grab a backup with lighter line (and keep on going down line size until I'm at #15) before I put fluoro on....but that's just me. If you only have one rod, well, you actually might be doing the right thing by putting a 40 inch leader on your #30 mono. The fish out there aren't huge....you can whip them in open water (no paddies or structure around) with #15 if you have the right gear.

Just my 2 cents...good luck out there!

flopps1
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
All great question Lizzay.

From a perspective of trying to increase your catch ratio though, beyond the great advie already profered (especially avoiding a Trilene or clinch knot!!), I see that new guys on in a cattleboat situation spend entirely too much time messing around with their gear when the fish are hitting.

90% of the time, tuna fishing is fast and furious before they decide to bail out. If you do not have a backup rod (or 2 or 3), you are completely avoiding the bite while you are re-tying or screwing around with your gear. This is especially the case when cattleboat fishing where you have to also concentrate on avoiding 30 other lines in the water.

Get a backup rod (or 2), vary the line class, and you will see your catch ratio increase.

As for fluoro, I personally think it has very limited application. I will grab a backup with lighter line (and keep on going down line size until I'm at #15) before I put fluoro on....but that's just me. If you only have one rod, well, you actually might be doing the right thing by putting a 40 inch leader on your #30 mono. The fish out there aren't huge....you can whip them in open water (no paddies or structure around) with #15 if you have the right gear.

Just my 2 cents...good luck out there!

I would have to agree!!!!! Back up set-ups can be key during a hot bite. Anyhow, here's an article that I think will help you. Basics that will apply for tuna fishing or any peligics. If you are losing hooks, then make sure you are tieing good knots!!! Use a polomar or san diego knot to keep it simple. Youtube has instructional videos if you are not sure on the knots.

Tangles will happen but there are some things that will help you avoid and increase your chances of hooking up. Hope the article covers what you are looking for. It always good to read up as a newbie or refresh your skills as an experienced angler.

I have a tendency to send this out to guys I know who are just getting into fishing offshore or even chasing yellows at the islands.

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=74291

Ifishtoolittle
09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I've never used "Big game" B4, but p'Line for me has always been the ticket. Your rod should be just fine, especially with all those 20lb class YFTs!!!!!!

lizzay
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the advise, if there's anymore, feel free to unload. I'm a bit more confident now. My ego was a bid shot during the last session, but redemption must happen!!! I'm gonna slay the living **** out of those guys.

kpn
09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Lizzay,
When fishing for tuna I always take 3 set up with me 20, 30 and a 40 lbs set up, also get some flouro leader 20, 30 & 40 lbs. I like P-Line and fresh line always serve you good my friend.
I love circle hooks, because they always hook at the corner of their mouth and remember DO NOT set the hook when using circle hooks. I would get some 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 circle and some regular live bait hooks. I would get some rubber core lead just incase the fishes are deep.
Go get em!

KPN.

otisdis
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I was wondering the same things. Thanks for all the input guys.