PDA

View Full Version : quality yet well-priced offshore fishing gear?

EuN_TeK
09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
i have just picked up an interest in offshore saltwater fishing and was wondering what some quality yet not too expensive rod/reel combos would be. considering the fact that i am a poor medical student, i won't be able to dish out $1000 per setup, but would like something that is versatile as in able to catch fish ranging from calico bass to yft... any advice/help would be highly appreciated. thank you.

Ricky-Ray
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
When I started fishing my first setup was a Penn 535GS and a 8ft California Rod from Turners. Whole thing was less than 200 bucks. Fast forward 5 years later and I still have both the rod and reel. It has served me well. Reel does not get much use these day's as I've upgraded to other reels that are better but the rod still get's used pretty often.

Check some of the tackle shops sometimes they will have combo setups usually something like either a Penn 500 or a 535 along with a 7ft Penn Sabre rod for usually around 100-150. Decent starter outfit will handle just about any fish off the souther california waters. Check out the used section at tackle shops too. I've found some REALLY great deals on used rods and reels. Even a yard sale can be a goldmine, which I've done on an occassion or two.

EuN_TeK
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
thank you so much for the tips.
i've been actually browsing the member classifieds and found a couple of interesting items.
there is a shimano trevala model# TVC66MH rod for $60 and a daiwa saltist model# STT30h for $90. would this be a decent starter combo or would you advise against it?

Ricky-Ray
09-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Saltist are good reels, several of my friends have them and love them. I've never used them personally. Doesn't mean that it's not a good reel, but there are so many out there that you can't buy every single one of them (unless you win the lottery...LOL)

Shimano Trevala's are good rods too and Shimano has excellent customer service. They stand behind their product.

HEMAN
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
It's hard to get one setup for everything you need for the salt.. I am fairly new to offshore and salt fishing as well..

So far, i have a Crucial / Curado 300 setup for inshore stuff.. although it can fight the occasional yellowtail when called upon...
and then i have a Torium 16 with a terramar (purchasing soon), so far i am very happy with these... The Torium caught me this nice little YFT last Friday..

http://www.askhy.com/cdGallery/thumbnails/Fishing/Those%20DANG%20Guys%20charters/Oh%20Dang%20090508/LARGE_OhDang_090508_014.jpg

samgann93
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
i have a torium 20 with a really nice 7' california rod.

rod was 100 and reel was 180.

ill give you the combo for 170.

EuN_TeK
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
could you possibly post pictures of the rod and reel that you are offering? thank you.

HEMAN
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM

hmm. if EunTek doesnt want it... i may be interested, any line on it?

samgann93
09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
no i just took it all off. im like kinda crazy when it comes to line i seem to take it off everytime i fish cause id be supermad to lose a fish cause of bad line.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
If you read this soon, I think Turners has a sale on the Californian Rods for $50 apiece, but the sale ends tomorrow (Thursday).

RUN DUDE, RUN !!!!!

flopps1
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Here what I suggest to keep to cost down for the offshore and not lose any quality in gear. While keeping it versitle. I would recommend the following. Probally would run you in the area of $150 to $250 brand new but if you shop around on the fish boards/classified's you probally could save an extra $40 to $60 off the retail cost. You can find some good deals or post what you are looking for.

Shimano TLD 15 or Diawa Sealine matched with a Shimano Tallus rod. If you wanna go a little bit more then I would suggest the Shimano Torium or Daiwa Saltist reels. Again, match it a Tallus rod and you are good to go!

If only one set-up for inshore calico's to off shore tuna, while keeping cost down???? I would go with a Torium 14 matched with a Shimano Teramar 15/30. Might cost just a little more but you'll have it covered!!!!

Good luck....Penn's always a good alternative if you want to keep it simple.

flopps1
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Great deal but a Torium 20 a bit too much of a reel to fish for the inshore stuff. It's more versitle for tossing iron and/or bait stick for off shore applications. He's looking for something versitle for inshore to off shore.

HEMAN
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Great deal but a Torium 20 a bit too much of a reel to fish for the inshore stuff. It's more versitle for tossing iron and/or bait stick for off shore applications. He's looking for something versitle for inshore to off shore.

You can probably get away with a Curado 300 on a nice stick for inshore and offshore.. but it depends on your experience, it's not an easy task to land a big fish. BUT.. .my friend landed a couple 25# YFT on the 300 using 50/25 setup... \

EuN_TeK
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I probably won't be doing any inshore fishing with my saltwater setup. What do you guys think about a Shimano Tallus TLC-70HSBA and the Daiwa Saltist 40 High Torque combination? The type of fishing will most likely range from 1/2 day open party fishing to overnight tuna trips.

samgann93
09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
actually i used the torium 20 many times inshore. what i did was put spectra backing on it and switch the topshot mono depending on what kind of fishing i was doing.

bsp
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I probably won't be doing any inshore fishing with my saltwater setup. What do you guys think about a Shimano Tallus TLC-70HSBA and the Daiwa Saltist 40 High Torque combination? The type of fishing will most likely range from 1/2 day open party fishing to overnight tuna trips.

1/2 day open party trips are 95% of the time going to be inshore trips and many 3/4 days are too. Some 3/4 days go to Catalina, and if you live in San Diego the 3/4 days target tuna and yellowtail (when in season).

A saltist 40 would be way too much reel for anything on a half day. Get a Torium 14 or 16, a 40 sized reel is a little much unless you plan on just doing overnighters. Even then, a lot of people use torium 14s, 16s, and saltist 20s offshore and catch a lot of fish. Get something with a 20-30lb line rating (like a TLC-70MHSBA) and fill the reel with spectra backing and a 25lb mono top shot. You will be able to use this set up on every trip you go on. So, get something smaller and lighter since it will be more versatile.

flopps1
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
actually i used the torium 20 many times inshore. what i did was put spectra backing on it and switch the topshot mono depending on what kind of fishing i was doing.

I hear ya...To each his own. Didn't say it couldn't be used for inshore stuff but using a TOR 20 in my opionion is a little overkill. Unless, you know there are some yellows around. But for catching the 3 b's, I would recommend something smaller.

flopps1
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
1/2 day open party trips are 95% of the time going to be inshore trips and many 3/4 days are too. Some 3/4 days go to Catalina, and if you live in San Diego the 3/4 days target tuna and yellowtail (when in season).

A saltist 40 would be way too much reel for anything on a half day. Get a Torium 14 or 16, a 40 sized reel is a little much unless you plan on just doing overnighters. Even then, a lot of people use torium 14s, 16s, and saltist 20s offshore and catch a lot of fish. Get something with a 20-30lb line (like a TLC-70MHSBA) rating and fill the reel with spectra backing and a 25lb mono top shot. You will be able to use this set up on every trip you go on, where. So, get something smaller and lighter since it will be more versatile.

Agreed....

bsp
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
You may also want to look at getting an 8ft rod. The extra length will let you cast out further from the boat, and that is often where the fish are on open parties. A Teramar TMC80MH is a perfect rod for this, and will go really well with a Torium 16 and 25lb line. If you get that set up, you can catch yellowtail and tuna off shore and hammer calicos at the islands and kelp beds too!

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-tmc80mh-teramar-west-coast-inshore-jig-bait-rod.html in case you want to read up on it.

EuN_TeK
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
is a saltist 30 an overkill too? how much of 25 test line should the reels that i use be able to hold?

flopps1
09-12-2008, 07:29 AM
is a saltist 30 an overkill too? how much of 25 test line should the reels that i use be able to hold?

A 30 is a little bit better choice but if had to choose, I'd go with the 20. Perfect little reel to fish for inshore and enough to handle to the off shore as well. If you need to go 25# on it, then add some 200 yrds. of 50# or 65# spectra and a 100 yds. top shot of mono to have enough capacity. If not, straight 20# will cover everything else. Depending on what you'll be targeting.

bsp
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
The 20 (saltist) is a lot better than the 30. Do the spectra backing with 50lb, and a top shot of 25. 100 yd top shot is good. 300yds is more than enough line for any local and overnight trip. Go with 25lb mono so you can use it offshore, and when you are inshore (unless there are yellowtail) use a 15lb flourocarbon leader.

Nessie Hunter
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
If you are thinking Saltist for your applications...
I would recommend the 30T or 30TH...
The 'narrow' spool is close in size to the 20, with the TH model you can have the High speed (6.1 to 1??).. Good for most applications in light to Med salt fishing, as is the 30T with 5.1 to1?? ratio....
Just a tad more reel then the 20...
The only Diff in Saltist reels of all sizes that I can see ( I work on them) is the spool width & depth for line capacity.. Narrow, deep, wide... The internals are all identical..
Ergo; a 30 would have less line capacity then a 50 but would handle the same fish (if it didnt spool you, enter Spectra backing for capacity).
The drags are identical also...
I have not had the opportunity to open a 20 yet, but from what I see in the specs it is just a narrow, shallower spool then the 30 to 50 models...
If you plan on a lot of casting retrieving, as in inshore jig/swimbait fishing you may want to look at level wind reels.... Luna 300 or Calcutta 400/700.... They will both handle fish to med size (20# or so)...

A great and cheaper alternative to the Saltist/Torium debate is the Daiwa Sealine X.. Lot of reel for $100+ new...

My 2 cents......

That Dang Guy
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
IMO it is best to buy two different setups for what you're looking to do. Can it be done with one setup? Most definitely, but you'll sacrifice on one end or the other. Lets settled in for a torium 16 or saltist 30tt. You'll do great fishing local barracuda, yellowtail, tuna or wsb with 25-30lb line. You'll have enough capacity to do rockfishing without much worry and be able to cast iron if you so desired.

Sounds great huh? Well, what happens when you're targeting smaller species? Can you lob out a sardine with that sized of a reel? Usually without much problem, but try an anchovie. If you do get the bait out, odds are you won't get bite as often as you would downsizing line class once or twice. Without doing spectra and short topshots that you change often, it's not really feasible to downsize lines on one rod during a trip. If you do get bit, you just end up grinding in the fish sinze you're really over gunned for them. For me, this takes the fun out of the whole experience.

So what do you do since you're only looking to get one setup? Buy a lighter setup? Maybe a curado 300, calcutta 400 or a revo S? Works great inshore for your the three B's (Barracudas, bonito, bass). You can definitely, with a bit of luck, land tuna, yellowtail and dorado with this setup, but you'll be undergunned. In a party boat situation you'll probably regret fishing a lighter setup without being able to control you're fish. If you're rockfishing, you'll regret not having the capacity to reach the bottom. In otherwords, don't do it.

If you really want to cover the basics for I would get two setups. You can get two reasonable setups for around $500. If this isn't possible, i'd go for the larger setup first and then the lighter one second.

ikeman
09-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Always remember to pack the Barbie Rod from Wal-mart as a back up! Great inshore rod\reel combo under 10 bucks and you always hook up!!! LOL

EuN_TeK
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
One of my friends have an AVET SX and an AVET MXL reel that he said he'd sell to me for quite a deal. These are the older models and single speed. I was wondering if these would be good enough to handle inshore and offshore...

Ricky-Ray
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
One of my friends have an AVET SX and an AVET MXL reel that he said he'd sell to me for quite a deal. These are the older models and single speed. I was wondering if these would be good enough to handle inshore and offshore...

It sure can. Anything up to a 3-4 day trip would be good. You'd be surprised how much power those little reels have and how much abuse it can take. As for inshore if your fishing like the breakwall or on the kelp bed for bass or something like that I think they are overkill. For those situations I'd be using a small levelwind reel, something like a shimano curado 300 or others.

bsp
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Get the SX! Those are really nice little reels, and are capable of going toe to toe with anything you would see on an overnighter.

dockboy
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Own several Saltists and love them. Well made, cast well, and great drags. The 20 could do any half day or 3/4 day boat around here. If you really think you'll be fishing more 25lb. class on overnight boats, get the 30. The Avets are really nice. A real cut above the rest. But I would recommend starting with something a bit less then going all out with an Avet. If you want a smaller price tag, I'd go with a Sealine X series, probably also in the 20. For inshore and most of the 1/2 day boats, a 300 or 400 size reel from Shimano cuts it well. I use Cardiff 300s for my 15lb. and 400s for 20lb. You can upgrade the drags and add a live bait handle: both make your usual 400 Cardiff awesome for salt use. But don't be afraid to take your inshore outfit out on a tuna boat. Last trip I went on recently, most of the fish were caught on 20 and a good chunk came on 15. You can handle a 20-40lb. school tuna on a 400 sized or even 300 sized reel if you have the patience and skill.
For rods, Turners, Penn Sabres and Shimano Teramars are hard to beat for the price. But if you have the dough, upgrade to a Calstar West Coast series. They are like the old school Sabre action and power wise. They run about $170. A Teramar goes for about $130, more like $170 if you buy a jig stick model. You might actually want the fiberglass of the Calstar for durability if you abuse your rods a bit more than usual. With a Saltist thats about $350 for a setup that will last for years and fish great. With a Sealine, its more like $300, and it too will last a fairly long time.