PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe???

FishSum
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Going to be up there in the middle of July........
never been,never seen,dont know anyone who has
Please help...What will I be fishing for? Is the fishing any good in the Keys? thats where Im staying.

Ronira
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Fishum take me with you, I grew up 45 miles from there. You are going to fall in love with that place. Tahoe Keys is a nieghborhood on the lake. It has small channels coming off the main lake to get your boat to the dock that most houses there have at the back of their lot. I have never heard of anyone fishing in there because they are shallow and to warm. Trolling for big trout and Kocanee are the main deals that time of year or you can bank fish. The side of the lake the keys are on is pretty shallow and you might be better off going around the lake to where it drops off deeper. Ask some of the locals and they will help you out. There are also some really good guides on that lake. Have fun and post up some pics. Peace Ron

FishSum
05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I've found alot of guides there,any particular recommendations?
Are the trout and salmon all thats there? Im taking my boat and plan on a guide one of the days but I was hoping to have the option of fishing from the dock that comes with our rental house in the keys.Are there any warmer water species that can be caght in the keys?ie. bluegill,crappie,catfish???

one_leg
05-30-2007, 12:51 AM
PM sent.

Cabodude
05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think Lake Tahoe has special restrictions on fishing boats and other watercraft on the lake. May want to check into those rules before taking your boat up there.

one_leg
05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Chuck's Bait Tackle & Guide Service
8658 N Lake Blvd
Kings Beach, CA 96143

(530) 546-8425

Well worth the trip. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

One_Leg

Ronira
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
And be sure to try the RUMRUNNERS at the bar on kings beach, THEY ROCK. Hey one_leg you spend time up there? I haven't been home in about 12 years and it sounds like you know it better than I do. If you go west on 50 to hwy 49 and then go north to the so fork canyon, that's where I lived. Peace Ron

fishfinder
05-31-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think Lake Tahoe has special restrictions on fishing boats and other watercraft on the lake. May want to check into those rules before taking your boat up there.

THERE ARE RESTRICTIONS ON BOATS. JUST LIKE DVL. NO 2 STROKES

FishSum
05-31-2007, 08:22 AM

THERE ARE RESTRICTIONS ON BOATS. JUST LIKE DVL. NO 2 STROKES
No worries........I have a small block mercruiser w/a alpha outdrive.Not a fishing boat.I will hit up the guide service and spend the rest of the week with the family,and I'll be fishing in Bishop on the way up there and the way home also.

FishSum
06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
I hear the smallmouth fishing in the keys is pretty good too.....
whats the trick?

Cutthroat
06-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I lived on the north shore above Dollar Point when I was a kid. My dad had gotten a job w/ the Placer Co. Sheriffs dept., and moved us from Bakersfield to Lake Tahoe. I spent 3rd thru 7th grade on the lake until my dad was promoted to Sergeant and we moved down to Auburn in 1990. Scouts was pretty fun up there, Troop 266 got away with a lot that other troops wouldn't dare... And the winters were interesting, to say the least!
As far as fishing the lake, native species are the big Mackinaw (lake trout), kokanee salmon, rainbow and brown trout, etc..
But I don't believe other fish are to be found. No bass or bluegill or catfish. The reason being that the water in Lake Tahoe is a frigid 40 degrees or less for most of the year. It is extremely cold water.
But trout prefer that...
Anyways have fun. Your best bet is to get a guided boat and do some trolling. There are other lakes in the area that have good bank fishing, like Prosser, Boca and Stampede resevoirs. And don't pass up the Truckee River! It is the drainstream of Lake Tahoe, and is incredibly beautiful in most places.

here's a nice link:
http://www.carmelstudios.com/lakeTahoe/page/index.php

Cabodude
06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
From the Lake Tahoe Tribune......

"Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, black crappie, catfish, bluegill and goldfish have all taken up residence in the Lake Tahoe within the past decade. In addition to the habitat provided by milfoil, these species have been able to survive in Lake Tahoe because of the relatively warm water in sheltered marinas, according to U.S. Forest Service literature."

I have heard that the Tahoe Keys area has become one of the best sleeper largemouth bass fisheries in the state!

Cutthroat
06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Goes to show what I know.. heh.. but then it was 17 years ago that we moved to Auburn... I guess a lot has happened
within the past decade

:titanic: