PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon bite @ Santa Monica

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I hit the pier after work @ about 3:30. The water was clear, and it was windy, and the waves were pretty big. I was using mussels and left over ghost shrimp from the previous time. It was kinda slow at first, but the bite picked up as the tide came in. The first fish to fall was a small Sargo on mussel. He did put up a fight. I farmed a bigger fish, probably a sargo or a butterlip perch. I caught another small sargo after rebaiting. Then I switch to the ghost shrimp, and boom, a nice black croaker hits it. Still using the ghost shrimp, I get hit by something bigger, and get tied up to the pilings. I put a new hook on, a new weight, and get hit by another black croaker. The bite slows, so I hit the surf zone, and bag me this beautiful yellowfin croaker. It weight about a pound and a half. Farmed a couple more, and a big fish(probably a spotfin), and decide to call it a night by 7:40 p.m. All in all, it was fun. I'm gonna try and hit it again on saturday and I will post more pics.

lalo56
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I wish I had the energy to go fishing after work. I would be down on beach a few blocks away every day.

fishhard22
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Sounds like you had a productive day, congrats on those fish. I love fishing right after work haha. I think i'm going tomorrow when I get off at 5. I've never fished at Santa Monica I gotta try it out.

bergie berg
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey dude nice report and cool fish!! But I feel obligated to add if you plan on releasing fish its best not to touch them with a towel or cloth, because it wipes the protective slime coat off of their bodies and they are much more likely to contract an infection or illness. But if you kept them never mind and enjoy!!!

Cangler
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
:Thumbs Up: on the YFC !

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I wish I had the energy to go fishing after work. I would be down on beach a few blocks away every day.

I was tired as heck, but I just didn't want to go home either. I was talking to the galfriend when the yellowfin croaker bit. Since I decided to come and go on the bus, I just took a long nap till I got close to home.:Big Grin:

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
You definitely should. The action can be hit or miss, but it's still fun. The thing to do at that pier is to find the pockets. Casting under the pier can be productive, but I like to find the pockets near the surf zone. That's where the YFC's, Spotfins, and Corvina hang out.

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
You definitely should. The action can be hit or miss, but it's still fun. The thing to do at that pier is to find the pockets. Casting under the pier can be productive, but I like to find the pockets near the surf zone. That's where the YFC's, Spotfins, and Corvina hang out.

I meant to post this as a reply to Fishhard22.:Smile:

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey dude nice report and cool fish!! But I feel obligated to add if you plan on releasing fish its best not to touch them with a towel or cloth, because it wipes the protective slime coat off of their bodies and they are much more likely to contract an infection or illness. But if you kept them never mind and enjoy!!!

Thanks for the props bro. I'll remember that next time. I totally have forgotten about the protective coating fish have. I always realease the fish I catch, unless they either really swallow the hook, or they are messed up beyond saving.

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
:Thumbs Up: on the YFC !

Thanks Cangler. I've caught some bigger YFC's there before. The biggest one was 6 pounds. I didn't have a camera with me that day.:Sad: I'm going back on saturday, and am going for the croakers and corvina.

CrabMan
09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing them with us. Nothing like going fishin after work to wash away the crazyness of the day!:LOL:

kansasguyinCali27
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing them with us. Nothing like going fishin after work to wash away the crazyness of the day!:LOL:

Yeah, tell me about it. I hate stressing out, especially after work, but fishing always cures my ills, especially when I catch something.:Big Grin:

fishmaniac
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Nice job out on the pier! And FFR it's corbina. ;)

Wingnut
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Nicely done, cool report... keep up the good work. :Cool: :Big Grin:

fishhard22
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go check it out on sunday.

kansasguyinCali27
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go check it out on sunday.

No problem bro. Let me know how it goes. The best bait there are mussels, ghost shrimp, and sand crabs. Lugworms are ok, and squid is good for tomcod, shark, and rays. Good luck.