PDA

View Full Version : Standout hooks?

fish4life
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Are standout hooks worth buying because they look like they are really worth the money. How would u guys rate this hook and if what are good and bad things about it.
-Thanks

That Dang Guy
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I use different hook and hook brands for different target species. What are you looking to catch?

fish4life
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I usually go fishing on a jetty at Dana point so most likely ill be going for the calico bass, sand bass, different types of perch and maybe halibut. I want to try and drop shot some strike king extra soft flukes. Also the brand of stand out hooks i am talking about can be found on the Cabelas website.

Ricky-Ray
09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Some of the guys that I know that fish the jetty's or rocks usually stick with eagle claw or mustad's. Cheap cuz they lose hooks. Or it could just be them and they suck. LOL

lurk 182
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
do you want to use those to drop shot? are those the ones where there's kind of a second eye that you run your line through? i wouldn't bother. i tie a palomar with a long tag end. (meaning you double back a lot more line than you usually would to make the loop big enough to pass your bait through) i like to thread the line through the hook downwards (meaning the hook point is closest to the bend in the loop) when i tie it. then you just use a clip on drop shot weight on the long tag end. split shots are cheaper. you want the hook point facing up when the rig is in use.

fish4life
09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Yea the type of hook that i am talking about is u run it through two eyes and suppose to help keep your bait at a perpendicular to the line. I saw the hook on youtube in an aquarium and it looks nice. The main reason though i want to get this hook is because whenever i rig up my dropshot rig using the Palomar knot it doesn't turn out exactly as i wanted. For example last time i went fishing and rigged up my drop shot rig my bait looks like its just jumping up and down vertically. I know a regular dropshot rig the bait is suppose to shake up and down horizontally not vertically. What i mean is like my bait is facing straight up and is just jumping up and down. If you have more advice or comments please post.
-Thanks

lurk 182
09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
no, that's pretty much how it looks. i like to just nose hook the bait and i don't move my rod tip hardly at all when i'm fishing it. you might be giving it big hops (which might look fake) by giving it too much slack and then pulling back up too quickly/too hard. the worm should basically stay in one place just quivering there. you're not trying to reel this rig back to you at all. i just drag it a few feet back to me by pulling the rod tip up, reel up the slack, and let it sit there, just barely moving the rod tip at all. i don't really know what you mean by "horizontally".

GOTFISHUES
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
after the palomar is complete, take our tag end and run it threw the eye again....... with the hook point on top like you want it, run the line top down threw the eye pulling the knot into the eye. with practice and mussling it around, you should be able to achieve your desired effect.

also lurk 182 is right, the best advice i ever got in regards to drop shotting was "when you think your going slow enough, go slower" sure you want so shake/mix it up here and there, but essentially your draging, or "working the weight" as i say..... good luck yo'

dont wast your $$$ on gimicks get some gamakatsu #4 EWG or size according to bait.

GOTFISHUES

fish4life
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Well when i meant horizontally i meant the bait is shaking while in a horizontal position.Also i have never caught anything on a drop shot using plastics so what would it feel like if you get bitten would it be like a sudden jerk or a sudden dead weight? When fishing on jetty you know how their is a lot of kelp usually if you hook a fish there u get snagged right away. Is there like trick or something to get the fish out of the kelp or something because usually when i am fishing on the jetty once i hook a fish i fight it for like 2 seconds then it gets snagged. Lastly is fishing with a drop shot is just like vibrating your rod shaking your bait around? Well thanks for all your answers =)

fish4life
09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Can somone please answer my last question in my last post i really want to know the answer and if you have any other tips
-Thanks lines tight mateys