PDA

View Full Version : Bishop & Points North 9/19 to 9/21

GullFisher
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi All:

My son and I are heading up 395 on Friday the 19th for a three day guys only fishing trip. We are hoping to fish the Owens, Convict and maybe Crowley the first day. Then head to Weir Pond. I've read about this place here lately and seen some great pictures, where is this awesome fishing hole located? Is it catch/release only?

Also, anybody willing to help a couple of "Owens River Rookies" out with some tips of where and what to use? I would greatly appreciate it. We fish mainly with ultrlight spinning gear with lures. Which lures are most recommended? Where should we go. We will be staying at Browns Owens River.

Thanks,
Gullfisher & Gullfisher Jr.

seal
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Weir is a small 'pond' that is actually a part of the South fork of Bishop Creek just below South Lake. There are about 5 parking spots in front of the Weir. It is a very popular spot for fly fisherman so sometimes it can get a little crowded since it is a small area. Shore fishing is extremely limited, not much shoreline. Waders are a very good idea if not mandatory. Thomas Boyuants and small lures will work very well. Black and Gold Panther Martins have done real good for me on the Alpers although I mainly fly fish it. You can try the bubble/fly combination.

Yes fishing can be excellent! Brookies, browns stocked rainbows and Alpers.

One of my favorite spots in the Sierra's, HAVE FUN!

retired/lasd
09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I fished the Upper Owens 2 weeks ago and the fishing was excellent. DFG stocked the river twice in 2 days. The first day they pit 3800 pounds of fish in the river in just 2 places. Browns Campground and about 500-600 yards south of the campground. I watched them put 40 nets of fish, maybe 700 plus fish in one spot alone.

I used assorted lures and glow bugs on my fly rod and was catching and releasing 50-60 fish a day. There were pools where you would see 100 plus fish. None of the fish were of any size to brag about, but the river is loaded with fish right now...

Badfish2
09-10-2008, 12:25 AM
There's nothing more effective than Thomas Bouyant lures such as the colors and patterns in my avatar... however, last 2 trips I've found that Thomas lures in the "Cyclone" version are awesome too.. they tear drop shaped and come in gold red and blue silver colors. They sell them at bass pro and sports chalet. Stick with the bouyants though, you can't miss. Fish Convict in the early AM to avoid the wind

retired/lasd
09-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Since your new to the Upper Owens, keep in mind that the river north of the Benton Crossing bridge is barbless lures and flies only. South of the bridge is general regs. down to the river monument which has Crowley regs.

GullFisher
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Guys! Does anybody use Rooster Tails or Mepps anymore? Any tips for Convict other than be there early before the wind. Shore or boat? Which parts of the lake are the best. My 12 year old really wants to catch an Alpers! I guess so would I actually!

Also, is there any place that might help our chances of catching a brown?

Thanks,

GullFisher
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey by the way if blogger "fndaway66" (Kurt) is out there give me a shout. I ran into you up in Bridgeport @ Twin Lakes with Gullfisher Jr and we talked then you let us join your party at the boat launch! Part of your Hotel California blog! Any chance you'll be up in the Sierra's the 19th thru 21st? Perhaps we could hook up and learn some more from you!
Folks, this Guys is a great fisherman and really helped us out!!!

Thanks
Gullfisher

Big Country
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Gullfisher,

Here are a few more tips to add to what you read already. I was just up there the past 5 days and came home last night. The Owens was on fire for fish to 10 inches. I couln't even tell you the total amount of fish caught as I was counting more on the number of consecutive fish I could get out of a hole. There were a couple of spots where 6 casts resulted in 6 fish in a row. That's basically how sick the fishing is there right now.

I caught everything on a black & silver floating rapala which in my book is the best lure to use on the river. My buddies were also using brown trout, rainbow trout, black & gold, and fire tiger pattern rapalas and they were all working just fine and producing tons of fish. I like the floating rapalas because you can cast and use the current to get it right where you want then engage it and run it through the hole you are fishing. This can't be done with Thomas B's, rostertails or sinking rapalas. Not to say that none of those don't work because they are all very productive - I just like the floating rapalas personally because you can do more with them if you know how.

As for location, everything from the campground down to the fish monument was great. We also fished a couple of afternoons north of the bridge all the way past the 3 cattle gates to the very end. The north end was the only location where we caught browns this trip.

Overall, our trip was good and we caught a lot of fish but nothing big in terms of size. The only tip I would give you is if you are planning on fishing the Owens, regardless of what section you are in (barbless or regular) please try to use a barbless hook so the release is easier on the fish. If you get lucky enough to knock out 30 or 40 fish in a day, you'll feel much better about releasing them from a barbless hook then you would yanking a barb out of their mouth and possibly setting them up for a slow death. Use a barb to ensure your 5 fish limit, then switch it to barbless for a little more of a challenge and to increase the chance of the fish's survival for the rest of the ones you catch.

There's nothing worse then seeing a fresh dead 8 inch trout floating upside down in the hole you are working because some jackoff 200 yards above you decided to remove his barb lure with a pair of needlenose pliers and a quick snap of the lure.

Badfish2
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Guys! Does anybody use Rooster Tails or Mepps anymore? Any tips for Convict other than be there early before the wind. Shore or boat? Which parts of the lake are the best. My 12 year old really wants to catch an Alpers! I guess so would I actually!

Also, is there any place that might help our chances of catching a brown?

Thanks,

rooster tails do still work, but the smaller sizes seem to be the only way to get action.. Brown body with gold blade works pretty good. Shore or boat..doesn't matter. Only difference with the boat is the ability to move around more and troll..(which is effective at Convict) but for the most part you'll notice all the boats/shore fishermen gathering in the south west part of the lake anyway.. everyone, crowds the inlets there.

Troutman65
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Quote by Big Country:

There's nothing worse then seeing a fresh dead 8 inch trout floating upside down in the hole you are working because some jackoff 200 yards above you decided to remove his barb lure with a pair of needlenose pliers and a quick snap of the lure.

I agree 1000 %

Good luck on your fishing trip. Looking forward to your report when you get back

ikeman
09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Gullfisher,

My father and I were just up there last week and the Owen's fished great! Hot creek was also fishing good. Tent Camped at Brown's Owen's river last Thurs night, but moved south to McGee Creek campground for Fri- Sun. I'm not sure if you are tent or Rv camping but remember, there is no shade at the river and it can get very cold at night on the plains.
First time at McGee Creek campground and was great. Shade, free wood, free showers. Mostly an RV campground but they do have tent areas #19 was very nice. Better value with the free wood and showers. It seemed a little warmer also, maybe because it is not as exposed as Brown's. If you are in an RV, it doesn't much matter.

It is about 5 miles past Tom's place and about 5 miles from the Benton crossing turn off and across the street from Crowley.

We were fly fishing only and did some at the campground and north of the bridge. There are a lot of stockers and some spawners starting to show. Panther martins, bouyants, are probably the bet, but if you can, try tying on some 3lb tippet with a few small split shots and tie on a "punker perch" fly pattern #14-16 or similar pattern (ask anybody in the shops around the area up there). Cast across the deeper pools and let it drift towards the deep water, straighten out in the current and, Bam! We were killing the bigger rainbows on this fly, up to 3lbs. Had great success with the drys as well. I am planning a post with some some pics as soon as I get caught up on work. You will have a great time! PM me and I will tell you of a special "bend" in the river.......

Have a great trip!

Jeff