PDA

View Full Version : what to use

stickfightersmama
09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
My boyfriend and myself always see carp where we fish. What do they bite on and how do you fish for them?

gavin310
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
canned corn will work

one_leg
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Hon, nice to hear you are gonna be returning to our neck fo the woods.

Carp will eat a variety of dough bait preperations and most of the anglers on FNN fish for them incognito so as to not be recognized by anyone else.

O_L

stickfightersmama
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Thank you so much you guys. I tried the Corn onces but it was frozen corn that was thowed. Does it have to be canned? Yes one leg it will be nice to be back.

Troutman65
09-09-2008, 12:07 AM
I think the can corn or the frozen corn will work. I have not caught a Carp in many a year. Good luck on your fishing .

one_leg
09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Just don't use treble hooks, you know the ones with three points on them?
They can get stuck in the fishes mouth and pin it shut causing them to starve to death if they break your line and get away. Use the smallest hooks that you can get away with and the lighter the wire the better in most instances. That way the carp cannot feel the weight of the hook as easily when the slurp up your bait offering.

stickfightersmama
09-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Thank for the advice. I like using treble hooks, but I won't when I fish for carp. Thank you again. Should I also use a very light weight. Just enough to get it out?

Just don't use treble hooks, you know the ones with three points on them?
They can get stuck in the fishes mouth and pin it shut causing them to starve to death if they break your line and get away. Use the smallest hooks that you can get away with and the lighter the wire the better in most instances. That way the carp cannot feel the weight of the hook as easily when the slurp up your bait offering.

one_leg
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, or you could just use no weight at all. Some carp anglers don't use any extra weight.

Just a tiny sliding weight or a small split shot weight should do the trick.

You can use old bread, oatmeal, cornmeal, flour, or other milled grains.

Then you can also add some other flavoring agents like Peanut butter, corn, strawberry jam, etc. etc.

lalo56
09-09-2008, 08:30 AM
You can make your own dough. Get some dough, garlic and salt. Crush the garlic plenty of it for the amount you are making mix it in the dough once all mixed with salt too, bake it until you can shape it and not watery. This really works on them to my experience. I also added split weights just to get it out and to the depth i need it to be.

EDIT:
I used corn meal mix.

stickfightersmama
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I will try all those HAHA. thank you so much!!! Thats what I normally use is just a split shot or a slider. I don't need much where I fish at.

Yes, or you could just use no weight at all. Some carp anglers don't use any extra weight.

Just a tiny sliding weight or a small split shot weight should do the trick.

You can use old bread, oatmeal, cornmeal, flour, or other milled grains.

Then you can also add some other flavoring agents like Peanut butter, corn, strawberry jam, etc. etc.

Granny Fish
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Small hook, little or no weight, lite line and set your drag light. Corn or bread dough is good bait. There are lots of recipes online, but I don't think you need to make it complicated. Some white bread rolled up into a ball could work fine. Once you hook up get ready for a fight. They are pretty strong and will run.

Good luck and take some pictures if you catch one.:Wink:

stickfightersmama
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
so the dough you make is out of a corn meal mix? I will have to try that. Carp really like the yummy stuff don't they lol. They really like to be able to taste there food lol.

You can make your own dough. Get some dough, garlic and salt. Crush the garlic plenty of it for the amount you are making mix it in the dough once all mixed with salt too, bake it until you can shape it and not watery. This really works on them to my experience. I also added split weights just to get it out and to the depth i need it to be.

EDIT:
I used corn meal mix.

one_leg
09-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I will try all those HAHA. thank you so much!!! Thats what I normally use is just a split shot or a slider. I don't need much where I fish at.

Jaden's aquarium after he goes to bed at night?

stickfightersmama
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
oh I deffently will take pictures if I get one or some lol. The once I have seen are about 2 feet long, so I know those will put up a fight. When they bite are they alot like catfish? Like testing it out and waiting along time but once they want it they take it?

Small hook, little or no weight, lite line and set your drag light. Corn or bread dough is good bait. There are lots of recipes online, but I don't think you need to make it complicated. Some white bread rolled up into a ball could work fine. Once you hook up get ready for a fight. They are pretty strong and will run.

Good luck and take some pictures if you catch one.:Wink:

Captain Boracho
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
ive personally had alot of success using masa.... if u happen to not know what masa is its the stuff they use to make tamales.

stickfightersmama
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Thank you for the advise I will try that as well.

ive personally had alot of success using masa.... if u happen to not know what masa is its the stuff they use to make tamales.

SoCalGuy7
09-10-2008, 12:12 AM
They can be pretty strong fish, hope your using at least 6lb line..!

stickfightersmama
09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Thats the size of line I always use, but just in case I will double check. Thank you. I would hate to get one then the line snap on me that would really suck!!!

They can be pretty strong fish, hope your using at least 6lb line..!