PDA

View Full Version : jig reel

samgann93
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I am looking into getting a good jigging reel. I would like to be able to throw surface irons on it but also yo-yo. I want to fish for yellowtail and tuna. Offshore and at the islands. So here are my questions.

1) What pound test? I’m thinking about 65lb spectra backing with 30 pound top.

2) Should I get a narrow spool?

3) What reel (price doesn’t matter maybe suggest your favorite and then one that around 200)? I’ve been looking at an Avet JX 6/3 Green Two Speed Reel from tackledirect.com

ghetto dad
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I am looking into getting a good jigging reel. I would like to be able to throw surface irons on it but also yo-yo. I want to fish for yellowtail and tuna. Offshore and at the islands. So here are my questions.

1) What pound test? I’m thinking about 65lb spectra backing with 30 pound top.

2) Should I get a narrow spool?

3) What reel (price doesn’t matter maybe suggest your favorite and then one that around 200)? I’ve been looking at an Avet JX 6/3 Green Two Speed Reel from tackledirect.com

those are nice reels, get that one brother....

GD

samgann93
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
i first would consider that you are new to salt. a jig reel spins so fast and an inexperienced thumb will get destroyed by spectra. further, you will backlash, a ton, and will spend time on the sideline instead of fishing.

start of with a torium or saltist with straight mono and youll do fine.
two speed? isnt that cheating>?

thanks for the consern but im not to new to saltwater fishing. ive been using spectra for a while too. i hate toriums lol. im gonna get the avet. lol

samgann93
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
those are nice reels, get that one brother....

GD

thanks a bunch. confirmed my thoughts for me.

Liteliner
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Get the new avet mc. No backlash and no need for thumbing the line. You just have to stop the spool when your bait hits the water. A hundred bucks more for them.

flopps1
09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
You said a reel that you can toss iron and yo-yo? Can't say that an avet would be your best choice from tossing a surface iron. Just my own perference and confirmation from some avet owners. Yo-yoing, everything else??? No prob.

By the way. What's wrong with the Torium's???? Very versitle reels!

Anyhow, I'd go with a 16 size reel. Narrow size is all perference. Load it with 200 yards of 65# spectra and at least a 100 yrds of 30 mono. This will avoid the knot from actually hitting the guides if you choose to toss a surface iron. You can always change the mono to type of trip and species you are targeting. But I think 30# would be a happy medium if looking to keep it versitle.

On the other hand....if money is not an issue, as you mentioned, then I would get a light jig stick/30# and a 40# yo-yo stick. Keep it seperate and use em' as back up baits sticks. That's the tackle ho talkin...

samgann93
09-09-2008, 07:16 AM
ya ive thought about getting two different rods for em. im gonna be wrapping all my saltwater rods for next season. ill have to think about it.

oh and im not sure why i dont like the torium so much. i just dont feel comfortable with it. i love my daiwa sealine. and ive fished with the avets and like those too. i guess im just wierd.

ghetto dad
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Get the new avet mc. No backlash and no need for thumbing the line. You just have to stop the spool when your bait hits the water. A hundred bucks more for them.

Thats something you need liteliner...guys with experience dont need to spend an extra $100 to help with backlash problems...:ROFL:

GD

Ricky-Ray
09-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd have to agree with flopps1. The Avet's are great reels but I wouldn't use them as my go to reel for the surface iron. It would get the job done but wouldn't be the best in my opinion. Torium, Trinidad or Saltist, or something with a star drag would be my preference. The Avet's would be fine for live bait and yo-yo jigging.

Liteliner
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Thats something you need liteliner...guys with experience dont need to spend an extra $100 to help with backlash problems...:ROFL:

GD

Ouch...... I just like getting all the stuff nobody has. Should of waited on the lx 6/3 i just got a couple months ago.

ghetto dad
09-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Ouch...... I just like getting all the stuff nobody has. Should of waited on the lx 6/3 i just got a couple months ago.

lol...just playin man......

GD

Liteliner
09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
lol...just playin man......

GD

i know bro..... still a nice reel though.....