PDA

View Full Version : cheap private charter

lizzay
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Know any cheap private charters to catalina??? Doesn't have to be a major landing, just want a cheap charter for 2 or 3 people. Thanks.

Liteliner
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
They dont exist...........

Fish Dog
09-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Lets see, boat gets about 1/2 mpg (if that) - round trip to Catalina and moving around to different spots is about 65 miles I'd guess, maybe more. So right there you've got 130 gallons at $4.50 a gallon, (Not exactly sure but I think that's what diesel at the fuel docks is going for), so that's $585.00 right there. Slip or dock fee for a 45 footer about $13 a foot, if you're lucky, that's $19.50 a day ($585 a month / 30 days), insurance...I'm guessing $20 a day. Pay at least one crew member, $160 a day maybe, add a few scoops of bait, $150. And you still have to make some kind of profit or why would you be in business..and you kind of have to make up for the days when you don't have a charter so figure $400 a day profit figured in (again a guess but that would be $200 a day profit if you're filling half your charter dates). For a grand total of...$1334.50 - divide that by 6 and you get $222.42 per person = no cheap charters.

lizzay
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
so I found this guy on craigslist that'll take you out for 675 to catalina island pick up at 5 drop at 3pm and 45min. each way. What do you think? I think he's giving a free trip!

Fish Dog
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
so I found this guy on craigslist that'll take you out for 675 to catalina island pick up at 5 drop at 3pm and 45min. each way. What do you think? I think he's giving a free trip!

Depends...what's he taking you out in? How big, where from, what's included, is it a 6 pack (or less)? I mean, I could take you out to Catalina in my 19 foot bayrunner for $675...In fact I'll do it for $600, LOL.

Can you post a link?

lizzay
09-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Depends...what's he taking you out in? How big, where from, what's included, is it a 6 pack (or less)? I mean, I could take you out to Catalina in my 19 foot bayrunner for $675...In fact I'll do it for $600, LOL.

Can you post a link?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/807157495.html

Ricky-Ray
09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Define cheap? You could always take the catalina express over and rent a skiff :)

sonarbp
09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey lizzay,

First off I would check into the guy you found on craiglist.....make sure this guy has his guide license from the state/DFG also make sure he has insurance and all the safety gear on his boat.

I have a friend and alot of you might even know or have heard of him, Cpt Jimmy Decker of Berkely/Pure fishing and Everglade Boats, who guides trips in saltwater. He is a great guy to fish with and you will learn alot.

Here is a link to his sight
http://www.fishingwithdecker.com/Site_2/-Charters-.html

He does a run-and-gun to Catalina for about $650. You don't even need to bring any gear unless you want to!!!! He supplies everything you need.

sansou
09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
In general, the words "cheap" and 6-pack should immediately give you pause for concern.

Jim the "Headhunter"....classic example.

LBSea
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Take a look at the top right photo with the fire cracker yellow and what is that A BLACK SEA BASS!!! Nice way to hold a endangered species. Opps.

Why doesn't he show any pictures of the boat? From the photos he does show I would say go look at the boat first unless thats not important to you. Sleeping for 5, that would be pretty tight on a 24' boat. My two cents.

Doug

fuzzy26
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey lizzay,

First off I would check into the guy you found on craiglist.....make sure this guy has his guide license from the state/DFG also make sure he has insurance and all the safety gear on his boat.

I have a friend and alot of you might even know or have heard of him, Cpt Jimmy Decker of Berkely/Pure fishing and Everglade Boats, who guides trips in saltwater. He is a great guy to fish with and you will learn alot.

Here is a link to his sight
http://www.fishingwithdecker.com/Site_2/-Charters-.html

He does a run-and-gun to Catalina for about $650. You don't even need to bring any gear unless you want to!!!! He supplies everything you need.

Sounds interesting. How many people can he fit on the boat? And will he charge more for more people?

That Dang Guy
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
That's Jimmy Decker. Heh, if you don't really know who he is, you should look it up. I've been to one of his Calico seminars. Great guy.

sonarbp
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Sounds interesting. How many people can he fit on the boat? And will he charge more for more people?

I am not sure how many he will be able to fit on the boat. He has a fully rigged 24' Everglades that can fish four nicely. When I go out fishing with him I take my buddy or Father-in-law that makes 3 including Jimmy. I do know that if you want to go to Calmente he does have access to a larger Everglades boat that may fit more people.

Best bet is to give him a call and talk to him about what type of trip you want.

His # is (949) 280-4597 or email him fishingwithdecker@yahoo.com

Ricky-Ray
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I've fished with Decker a few times. He came on board as a Berkley Pro Staffer. Very nice guy to talk to. Awesome guy to fish with. Even his girlfriend fishes and she's a Berkley Pro Staffer too. Man can she put the wood to an albie....but that's a different story.