PDA

View Full Version : New species for my son... WSB!

klocked
09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
After spending all day Saturday doing yard work and other odd jobs, we decided to get out of the house on Sunday. We weren't planning on fishing as the tides didn't look too good. Still, we were drawn to the ocean to at least look around and enjoy the cool breeze. We had a little business to take care of first, head over to Fishermans Access in Brea for their grand opening sale. We picked up a few neccessities and also what we really came for... 2 brand new LCFM110's in the Zebra Sardine color:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002800.jpg

After that we started back with nothing really planned but as I said, we were drawn to the ocean. Haha.... Belmont Pier of all places:Envious:. We were curious to see if people were catching any amount of fish with the tides as they were. It wasn't a wide open bite like on the 2nd of this month but there was alot of catching going on. Of course once my son sees fish coming up, he want in on the action too.... "Dad, can we fish?"...."son, we don't have any bait"..... "yes we do dad!!".... I look over at him and he's holding a nearly full tray of squid..... "where'd you find that?".... "over there" as he points to an empty spot on the pier. Well ok, so we get our gear from the car and set up with squid. Not 5 minutes go by and my son hooks up to a WSB!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002796.jpg

Thats just great, now, saltwater species wise, my son is 1 up on me with a WSB under his belt even if it is a tiny fish!:Cool: We continue fishing and it's all mackerel that we are catching. But I see several juvi WSB zooming back and forth in front of us and the guy next to us hooks up on bigger one which he also released:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002793.jpg

A while later, another party decided to head out and offered us their container of mussels which we accepted. My son switches over to mussel and heads to the opposite side of the pier across from me. A few minutes later I hear him calling me... "dad, I got something big!", so I go over to him and he's fighting something bigger than the usual. Up comes this Spotfin Croaker!!, Ok, this is just really great, now he's up 2 species on me!!:Shocked: I have yet to target Spotfin though or White Sea Bass for that matter:LOL:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002792.jpg

I get my camera and I turn around to see my son just standing there... "where's the fish?".... "right here" he says, pointing to the ground... "Pick it up so I can get a picture of you with it" I say. "No dad, I don't want to!!" "What's the problem?, you'll hold a halibut with a mouth full of teeth, squirming for its life but you won't hold up a Spotfin Croaker?" "I DON'T WANT TO!!!" he says .....OK then!!:ROFL:Later he said that the fish's body made some kind of vibration he didn't like:LOL: and thats why he didnt want to touch it.:Rolls Eyes: Although, he'll hold a white croaker up to his ear to hear it croak....:Envious:

All fishies C&R'd on what turned out to be a nice day to fish after all!!

Klocked

Wingnut
09-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice job Klocked and Son, always nice to get a new species under your belt. :Cool: Good to see you guys having a nice outing. :Big Grin:

one_leg
09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
That's a pretty cool report. Thanks for posting it up in addition to the pics.

O_L

supasportkid
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
good job, great pix, thanks for the report

camrydad
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Good going out there...looks like it was a nice day to be out and catching some fish.

Thanks for reporting.

Sinjin Kim
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
That is just awesome. Two highly prized inshore species: WSB and SFC!

If you and your son ever want a privately guided trip of Long Beach, let me know and I promise to get you guys on fish. I personally get a kick out of watching youngsters catch fish.

klocked
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!!

That is just awesome. Two highly prized inshore species: WSB and SFC!

If you and your son ever want a privately guided trip of Long Beach, let me know and I promise to get you guys on fish. I personally get a kick out of watching youngsters catch fish.

Ya know Sinjin, I just can't see myself turning down an offer like that!!
That would be awsome!! We're free on the weekends:LOL:

Klocked

Sinjin Kim
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!!

Ya know Sinjin, I just can't see myself turning down an offer like that!!
That would be awsome!! We're free on the weekends:LOL:

Klocked

Send me a PM with your name and number. How old is your son? I am not sure if you have read my articles, but please do so and try to gear up appropriately. There have been times I've received PMs from the net from guys who want to fish together and they've stated they've read my articles but show up with heavy duty gear with trout crankbaits like Rapala CD-5s. :Secret:

I look forward to fishing with you and your son and will call you as soon as things begin to shape up in locally.

flyngby
09-08-2008, 05:20 PM
John,

What a great report!!!!!

Amazing how the little guy went along with you for the errands and you teased him by taking him to the water to see if conditions were right.

Also of interest is how he played you into busting the poles out of the trunk as if that we not the plan anyway or you would not have taken them to the bait shop .

Now that he is up on you by 2 species the game is on. While you concentrate on trying to get those he will get another new species!!!!! You will get a new species and he will try to duplicate it also.

I went through this with Lil Brad (Now Bigger) as we explored the waters.

Thanks for the great post and and spending the time with the little guy in what seem to be great times together that you will remember for a lifetime!!!!!!

Hope things work out with Sinjin Kim and you, and the son to get out for a great time and experience together.

I will PM you my number to see what we can work out as far as the boat trip is concerned.

Take care and keep taking the little guy to the water whenever possible!!!!!

Steve

flyngby
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Just noticed the little (Irish Fellow) dancing on your sons shirt. I bet he was dancing like that while waiting for you to take the pics and rubbing in to Ya Pops!!!!!!!!:Big Grin:

Steve

Ifishtoolittle
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
WSB from the pier?! Were there more small WSB released into the water cuz it's like everyone is catching them. Anyways nice fish!

boxl0bster
09-08-2008, 06:24 PM
man i wanted to go to the fisherman's access opening haha. good job out on the pier thanks for the pics and report. :Cool:

CrabMan
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Great job guys!

I can't wait to see what the LC's will catch. Your son should be super proud (as I know you are). There are lots of guys who have never caught a WSB or spotfin. Nice work! Did you check out the spotfin's mouth--they have the hardest mouth ever. A friend of mine who lives on his boat in Long Beach Harbor tells me that at night a school of spotfin group up behind his boat and he can hear them croak from under water. Way Cool!:BFish:

fishhard22
09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
That's too awesome, congrats to you and your kid. I love it when kids get involved in fishing. Yeah sometimes the ocean calls to me too haha.

tacklejunkie
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Score on the LC's, WSB's and SFC's! :Surprised:
Great work out there guys. I've yet to catch either of those like a lot of others.

troutdog
09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Nice job on the new species, you guys are quite the pier fishing duo! Keep the report and pics coming!

TD

buttface
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Nice fishy, I think your son needs to teach how to fish.......