PDA

View Full Version : Never Worked so Hard for Halibut B4!

Sinjin Kim
09-08-2008, 02:20 AM

WARRIORMIKE
09-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Way to go on finally getting a halibut. :Cool:

fishmaniac
09-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Wow, great story with a happy ending! Nothin like a honey hole!! :Secret:

I'm all for trying different spots, but that's alot of miles you scoured today! :EyePop:

Nice job on the hali..Jedi.

tacklejunkie
09-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Nice work scoring on a tough day!

bones
09-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you had a day of hard work also. Good job sticking with it SJ. I forgot how much hard work the search for flatties can be from the surf. I've been spoiled lately doing drifts with live bait on one rod while tossing artificials with the other rod on my float tube. I got schooled by Arthur yesterday and MAN .....I'm beat.
Thanks for the report.....Keep them comming!

baluga
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Great read!

Thanks for the report!

Wingnut
09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I guess you didn't make it to Mission Bay for the Corvina. Rich (Sansou) lost a 30+ Halilbut around that area yesterday. Popped off the Kroc near the end. :mad:

You made Stearns Wharf your first stop and we made it our last stop. Our results were the same. :Neutral: I didn't get your missed call until we got back in the car heading to our next stop at around 11:00am. It was a tough day up there, I've never worked it so hard.

Nice job on sticking it out and heading back to familiar water to get your fish. :Cool:

JSAUCE818
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
good job out there sin jin, hope you break your PB..than would be insane......i got my pepsi can spooled already for when we hit the surf.

Sinjin Kim
09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
good job out there sin jin, hope you break your PB..than would be insane......i got my pepsi can spooled already for when we hit the surf.

:ROFL: Spoken like a true Mojado. JK. Whenever you want to fish, let me know. I dictate my own work schedule so as long as I don't have an appointment or presentation lined up, we can make plans the night before and hit the surf.

As far as breaking the 43" mark, it will happen... just don't know by who. Personally, I am trying to break the 45" mark and then hopefully one miraculous day hook and land a 50 incher! :Shocked:

Back in the days (very long time ago), I've caught some monsters in the 40# class at Santa Rosa Island while on overnight trips fishing for White Sea Bass on the Mirage, Gentleman and China Clipper. I am going to have to one day fish with live squid in the Long Beach area on a small skiff just to see if some true monsters are around the shallows of the beach.

bsp
09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I wish i could have bad days like you! My 'good' day was when I caught my first (and only) legal halibut.

Hopefully I can actually get some halibut before I am killed by school. Good job out there, and I cannot wait to read your next report.

jerryG
09-09-2008, 02:58 AM
:ROFL: Spoken like a true Mojado. JK. Whenever you want to fish, let me know. I dictate my own work schedule so as long as I don't have an appointment or presentation lined up, we can make plans the night before and hit the surf.

As far as breaking the 43" mark, it will happen... just don't know by who. Personally, I am trying to break the 45" mark and then hopefully one miraculous day hook and land a 50 incher! :Shocked:

Back in the days (very long time ago), I've caught some monsters in the 40# class at Santa Rosa Island while on overnight trips fishing for White Sea Bass on the Mirage, Gentleman and China Clipper. I am going to have to one day fish with live squid in the Long Beach area on a small skiff just to see if some true monsters are around the shallows of the beach.

You may find some nicer fish on the live fin baits and squid in LB but nothing but you won't find the same grade of fish in the LBC as the monster halibut that lay in the sands along the back side of Santa Rosa Island.

It's not uncommon for a boat fishing that area to have several halibut over 40lbs on a trip. The area is known for producing halibut over 50lbs. There are not many areas that produce halibut of that magnitude. Malibu and La jolla are both capable of giving up a 50lb plus fish but I can't think of any spot that produces as many halibut over 40lbs as the backside of Santa Rosa. I wonder how the halibut bite is along the beaches of the channel islands. I know people go out there to fish perch from shore but I bet there are some big flat fish that make their way up towards the shallow sand to chase bait. Not to mention there's probably a good shot a big seabass from the beaches out there.

JerryG

fishhard22
09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Beautiful fish, congrats.