PDA

View Full Version : Faith, Hope and Vanity: Getting My *** Kicked in Malibu

City Dad
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Becareful what you wish for. Last week I landed my first SNGF. I immediately began to wonder what it might be like to hook one on a flyrod. This morning Posiden showed me the folly of my dreams.

Hit the beach around 6:30 this morning to find it socked in. I'd brought my 7wt and began with the fly I have the greatest faith in,the Razzler. Had a nice pick of small to average-size perchies going.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG2938.jpg

Was stripping along when suddenly my line stopped... and then began screaming toward the horizon. Took me into the backing and that's where things stayed for the next HOUR-AND-A-HALF. Yep, I spent 90 minutes trying to move what I am sure was a shovel-nose. I was using a 6lb tippet and had the drag buttoned down as tight as I dare and I could not gain an inch. I know guys who claim that they break off guitars if they ever hook one, but I kept thinking how cool it would be to have a Wingnut-style pic of me hoisting that big mamma with my fly gear. I was hoping the thing might just thow up her fins and give in but... she was fighting for her life (while I was only fighting for fun.) Surfers were starting to fill up the break and I knew I had to do something so, it tightened the drag a teeeeny bit more and "plink!" Bye-bye Mrs. Wiggles.

I was bummed, but don't know what I could have done differently? How the h3ll do you pry those things off the bottom?

Anyhow, a nice morning over-all... and reassurance that I can at least tie a decent knot.

tacklejunkie
09-07-2008, 01:42 PM
whaaaa?! an hour and a half battle to end with a simple "plink!" :EyePop:
That one just might have made me throw a rod... just maybe. :Razz:
I hope you get on it again with a better outcome next time.
Good work on the perch, Surf flyin' has to require some serious patience, I could imagine.

exfactor
09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Might need to jump up on the leader size a tad......... a 7 wt should be sufficient for the wiggles. mikey

City Dad
09-07-2008, 06:10 PM
whaaaa?! an hour and a half battle to end with a simple "plink!" :EyePop:
That one just might have made me throw a rod... just maybe. :Razz:
I hope you get on it again with a better outcome next time.
Good work on the perch, Surf flyin' has to require some serious patience, I could imagine.

actually, there was no audible "plink" just that sickening little snapping sensation. Left my knees shaking. It was probably for the best anyhow. As I mentioned, the water was starting to fill up with surfers and if I'd of tangled 'em there would have been hell to pay for tresspassing in their ocean:LOL:.

Fly fishing in the surf is pretting addicting too. Doesn't require too much patience - just a matter of timing casts and feeling grabs. (I let you know when I can manage either!) You gotta give it a shot, TJ. Tying the flies is really fun as well.

Might need to jump up on the leader size a tad......... a 7 wt should be sufficient for the wiggles. mikey

Like maybe 8? 10? I don't have the skills to target the things specifically... but it'd sure be cool to land one. And yeah, the 7 wt had more than enough backbone... it just didn't have the most competent operator behind it.

tacklejunkie
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
You gotta give it a shot, TJ.

I almost flipped my lid trying to figure out how to get a halibut on the LC. You really want to see me pulling my hair out, don't you? :LOL:

In all honesty I've had an 8wt in my sights for a little bit and when the time comes maybe you can point me to some flies and materials. If I didn't just buy a new siiiick 2-4# spinning outfit for trout :Rolls Eyes:...

I need to research rods and reels and all that stuff. It might be another minute. What type of flyline are you guys using? Do I need to make a basket?

fish_sauce
09-07-2008, 06:44 PM
those SNGF's are hard enough on 8 and 10lb test on a spinning outfit. I can't even begin to imagine spending over an hour fighting it on the fly rod, as they can easily grow to be over 15, 20lbs. :Shocked:

better luck next time, CD, and thanks for the report.

City Dad
09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I almost flipped my lid trying to figure out how to get a halibut on the LC. You really want to see me pulling my hair out, don't you? :LOL:

In all honesty I've had an 8wt in my sights for a little bit and when the time comes maybe you can point me to some flies and materials. If I didn't just buy a new siiiick 2-4# spinning outfit for trout :Rolls Eyes:...

I need to research rods and reels and all that stuff. It might be another minute. What type of flyline are you guys using? Do I need to make a basket?

I started out with a 5 wt, floating line and caught fish. Of course everyone will have a different prefference, but right now I'm using a 7 wt with a weight-forward sinking line - not so much for the fish but for the conditions and the heavy flies. I like to shop the sales and I got my present rig - rod, reel, line for just under $140.00 (and of course you could go much less expensive) For backing I just use 20lb mono - and that worked well today. IMHO a basket is a must. I've seen some really sweet ones guys have built themselves.

And the flies, TJ... the flys are so coooooool!

PM me when you're ready. I'll be your enabler any day.

Fishsauce, I hear you. It's like battling a swimming anchor.

supasportkid
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
that woulda ben an awesome pic, you'll get em next time

tacklejunkie
09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
And the flies, TJ... the flys are so coooooool!
Spoken like a true addict :Shocked::LOL: j/k, Soon I will see what you mean I'm certain.

I wanna flick some of those little chartreuse/white clouser minnows off the jetty :Big Grin: I bet I would nail somethin'!

Wingnut
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
6lb tippet?!? :Shocked: You will get your world rocked with a 20+ lb anything on your line! I got worked good with a 28" Butt on a 6lb tippet. Took a good 20 minutes to land it. Too bad you didn't at least see what it was. :Neutral:
NEVER play with your drag during the battle. :Wink: Let the swimmers & surfers WAIT! :Twisted:

I went out today also... way too tired to put in a report, will do it tomorrow. :Wink: We need to head out together again soon Tim. :Cool:

steve092
09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Awww, too bad about the lost fish!

sansou
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I have confidence you can repeat the process and finally land one on a streamer! Get back out there and do it again!

Nice job Tim. I actually brought my mini assortment of salt flies with me today, including some you tied for me, alas, too much wind today and I did not feel like getting in the water. I stuck it out on the shore pitching spoons for corvina in MB.

Looking forward to your next SW fly adventures!

Nhatster
09-09-2008, 12:48 AM
It could be a leopard shark or bat ray, those things are stubborn as hell. :Twisted: