PDA

View Full Version : O/N Sea Horse, First Yellow Fin

otisdis
09-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Drove to my co-worker house around 7:15, get to the docks at 7:45 and we were the first in line. Well a few weeks ago one of the co-workers said we should do a O/N. So we ended up having 15 of the 25 spots which was great. Capt said we were going to go far out. i was already to drunk to fully understand. Woke up at 5:45 and the trolling units were already out took about 30 mins to hook up. All 3 trolling units get hit and landing, 3 skipjacks. Well we set up again and add a fourth one. Took prob about 20 mins and we get hit again, all the poles.

There was no one around so one of the deck guys grabs one of the rods. Well as they are bringing them in one of the trolling units come undone near the boat and I see a guy in front of me duck and the lure hit one of the deck hands square in the chest with a thud. Well everyone around was just in shock and he is yelling everything possible well the capt yells someone grab the rod. Well everyone had there rods in there hands so they just keep looking what should we do. Well I grab the pole and start bringing the fish in while I still had my other pole in my hand to. That was hard but some grab my pole and finish bringing in the fish. 3 more skipjacks. Well a guy ended up hooking a albie and it was the smallest most people have seen.(The skipjacks were all bigger then the football size albie).

Well see a few paddys and stop at 1 nothing. The next one had some fish on it. We got 8 small yellowstails(just a little bigger then the skips) and 1 good size dodo. Nothing for me. Well we stop at the next paddy and 2 dodos get hook up and landed but one of them was gaff and brought over the rail, The deck hand unhooks him tell the guy to put it in his bag. Well the guys says ok and the fish starts to flop around and slips back into the ocean though the holes on the side and swims away(funny for me but not for that guy).

Someone came on the radio and told the capt that we need to get out ***** over to SCI the yellow fin are there. Capt tell use we are going full steam(about 40 min) and we are not stopping no matter what. We left the trolling rods out and they get hit more skipjacks, bring them in and we are off again. Well it was already 1 so we are running out of time. As we are driving there we see a ton of paddys and fish boiling on all of them. Well I though to my self I hope I get something.

We start to see a island and a ton of dolphins. The dolphins were jumping out of the water(that was cool). Then we see the Yellow Fin jumping to(that was cooler) nothing like see a 40lb tuna jumping out of the water. First stop and 1 guy hooks up then another and I am getting worried about getting skunk. When all of the a sudden my reel come to life and before I can react he takes about 50 yards of line off. I put it in gear and the fight is on. I get lucky as the the tuna turns right as I am the 2nd to last guy on the back of the boat so I had a clear fight and after what seem like in hour prob about 10 mins I land him. Man I was excited my first tuna I then find out that one guy lost his and the other one is still fighting it(sweet first one on the boat and with a rental rod). We made a few stops picking up a few on each stop.
http://www.shareapic.net/preview3/011046429.jpg (http://www.shareapic.net/content.php?id=11046429&owner=otisdis)

We make one last stop and there was a 8yr old kid who was sea sick and it was his b-day trip. Well the deck hands hooks up a fish for him and he lands that which was very cool. A few more people hook up and then I get bit but right before I put the reel in gear to see where my line was and it was the worst time. I had him on for a few sec before he broke me off and then once the last fish was brought up it was time to head home. Only 7 people had yellow fin. Final count-1 Albacore(football), 16 Skipjack(all trolling), 11 Yellow Fin Tuna(biggest was 36 pounds), 3 Dorado(-1 that fell over), 8 Yellowtail(just bigger then the skips)

Well thanks for reading it has been my best year fishing so far, only my 2nd overnight trip.

pyronut
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey there,

Great job and nice fish. The Sea Horse is a great boat with a great crew.
Next time maybe the bite will go WO for you.

Pyronut

fish4keep
09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Well hopefully you feel well after popping off that last one. You had fun so that went well. Well, that's what counts....

ghetto dad
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Great job on the fish brother......thanks for the report..

GD

dude, when i click your pic, i get like 20 pop-ups...wth???

JapanRon
09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi otisdis,

Congrats on the fishy. You'll be an O/N veteran before long !! Sounds like a great effort on skipper and crews part too !!

JapanRon

SoCalSteve
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Nice fish!

That Dang Guy
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice work out there.

We were out there on friday on a private boat working the porpoise on Friday. Found them at the 43 and chased them all the way up towards SCI. It was really crowded.

Greg Madrigal
09-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Sweet report bro!!! Congrats! That's a nice grade of fish! I can't believe the size of those fish! I would kill to have seen those YFT jumping outta the water. Thanks for the detailed report. A great read!

GM<<><

russ88
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Congrats on the YFT!!! :Cool:

one_leg
09-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Good for you!!! It's a great feeling when your line starts flying out like that!!!

Congrats to you on your YFT.

Ghetto Dad, you know you want that laptop!!! Why don't you just do what that pop-up says?

One_Leg

Ricky-Ray
09-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Congrat's on your first tuna. Thanks for the report.

Must be from all the spyware he's getting from the "adult" oriented sites :)

jplee3
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Congrats! The Sea Horse is definitely a great boat with a great crew. I'll be hopping on that boat for sure in the future :) Caught my first yellow[tail] with them not long ago. Seems like there's a trend here with "first time" catches :)