PDA

View Full Version : Trolling--4 Stroke Outboards

MarkyMark
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Does continuous low idle trolling cause 50-60Hp outboard 4 stroke engines to be finicky ?? Sounds dumb but I'm more familiar with 2 strokes...they like to run wide open most of of the time..Does the 2 stroke principle apply to 4 strokes ??

MM

diamondbear
09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
hey MM , I troll a merc. 40 hp for like 6-10 hours at a time at a LOOWWW SPEED and it doesn't seem to bother it . I always make it a habit to throttle up at least mid speed range going to the launch ramp at the end of the day . yearly tune ups and fresh gas probably makes a difference .

MarkyMark
09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
diamondbear, thanks for the reply

GeordyBass
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
most four strokes that range are EFI(electronic fuel injected)so,No it wont be finicky because everything is well controlled by the motor itself...

GdHkSet1
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
MM,

D_b and I run the same 4S EFI MERC main motor in our boats, I troll mostly now days and have got into using down-riggers. I like the gas milage out of these sipping midrange EFI's, i like to run fresh gas in my boat as much as I can so I fill up a little past 1/4 tank each time, that will give me about 3-4 weekend trips trolling DVL. IMO, If you get a opportunity, get a 4S for trolling.

Note- I do use my transom mounted Minnkota 55lb trolling motor the first 3 hours of trolling before using my main motor-cut back on hours on the motor.

This year MERC had the 5-year Standard warranty vice 3-years