PDA

View Full Version : Freedom on the Tanner Bank 9/5

plumbertom
09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Got on-board the Freedom out of 22nd St. Landing Thursday night with my son in law and 25 other hopefuls.
After a long ride ovenight I got out of my bunk about 6AM and had coffee and breakfast.
Around 7AM the boat dropped anchor on the high spot on the Tanner bank.
The weather was sweat shirt and quickly warmed up to shirt sleeve even with the marine layer hanging overhead, but even that had a few gaps in it and it went away before 10AM.
Almost from the first line in the water The fish were willing biters. I hooked up with a small bony right away and shortly after hooked up a much larger Bonita.
A little later I hooked up something that straightened my #2 hook and came unbuttoned.
A little later still I hooked up again with a really good fish that drug me into the rocks and cut me off.
After that even though the bite continued steady for the next 4 hours I couldn't buy a bite. don't know what happened but they were just not interested in my 30lb blue P-line.
Now my son in law was getting bit on the green 30lb P-line for a while and did get his first tuna ever and a second on to boot along with a good sized Bonita, before they quit biting him also.
Seems Like the fish were only interested in clear line after the sun came out.
Any way there were many more Blue fin caught by others and some big yellow tail around 35Lbs. and the bite was steady until we had to pull anchor and head back around noon.
The blues were mostly in the 20lb range.

calico killer kevin
09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Umm...nice report? Seems like you doubled your post.

formosa
09-06-2008, 10:25 AM
pb for off shore fishing with clear line will get more bite than color line, if you fish islands
try izor xxx smoke you will love it, or top shot with 6ft flouro when fish is tough.
i top shot with flouro what ever is island or off shore fishing.

supasportkid
09-06-2008, 10:35 AM
nice report, good job on the fish

JapanRon
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi plumbertom,

Good job on the fishys. Intersting take on the line. I'm assuming you don't use a leader. Whatever the mainline ..... I'm staying with the fluorocarbon clear 6 foot leader.

thanks again,

JapanRon

Troutman65
09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Sorry about the no hook up for you Tom. :Sad: Great your son hooked up into the Blue Fin Tuna. Thats my fav. I would of been eating Blue Fin Sashimi till I puked. LOL. Thanks for the report and Pic. You will get them next time Tom.:Wink:

kpk
09-07-2008, 08:19 AM
long run for 5 hours fishing, do they run 1-1/2 day trip also?

plumbertom
09-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes they do, and they also run 2-1/2 day specials.
The Freedom is a good boat that I have been out on many times. They never fail to put you on some fish, whether you catch them or not is up to you.

Greg Madrigal
09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
GREAT JOB Tom! This offshore action is wild right now! Glad u got into the blues!

GM<>><

russ88
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice haul!