PDA

View Full Version : Boat battery recomendations

chansen49
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I need a few batteries, Do we need deep cycle batteries for starting the engine and accessories? More for the trolling motors right? Also, when using 2 12v batteries for a 12v trolling motor whats the best way to hook them together and whats the best way to charge them?

Oh, wheres a good place to buy them??? Costco batteries die quick so thats not an option.
Chris

Sparky70
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Just bought a new battery for my 250hp mercruiser it's a jell batt. and cost $246 skins..Why not use just 1 12volt battery for ur trolling motor?

chansen49
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
From what I understand 2 12volt batts hooked up a certain way, still gets you 12 volts, just twice the capacity. And also from what I understad is you end up using your trolling motor ALOT.. What battery did you end up getting? Optima blue?

Chris

trlrtrsh67
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
You would want to hookup the batteries positive to positive...negative to negative. Like you said ,you still get 12 volts but you're now combining the cranking amps. From what I've read/been told, you want to use a standard battery for cranking the engine and deep cycle for the trolling motor and accesories. Good luck!

Sparky70
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
49, got my Batt. at Auto-Zone, I would rather have a GOOD batt. for engine than for a trolling motor. Two 12volt batteries will work for you.

JSAUCE818
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
everstart deep cycle baterries from Walmart, comes with warranty and they are not that bad.

GeordyBass
09-07-2008, 08:56 PM
optima batteries,,,so are the Duralast "gold" batteries....

Tail Chaser
09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Starting batteries usually have more cranking amps then deep cycle.
Deep cycle have more reserve amps for running accessories longer.
They will also withstand more repeated discharges then starting batteries.
A slow charge is the best.
A fast charge gets the water hot inside the battery. Causing the water to evaporate more.
Even deep cycle batteries should not be discharged more then 50%

lurk 182
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
get 2 good deep cycles for the troll motor. (you're looking at $200 a piece at least) you want AGM (absorbed glass matte) batteries like Optima, Exide Orbital, Trolling Thunder maybe. i'd go cheap on the cranking battery which starts the motor and not much else. just get whatever you'd put in your car or truck. shoudn't be more than $100 for that guy.

dragonrpc
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
everstart deep cycle baterries from Walmart, comes with warranty and they are not that bad.

I've also used these from walmart with no issues, even had one that sat for a few years, 1 cell got dry, but after a refill and mega trickle, it came back to full life, and I have been using for several months.

Definetly go deep cycle for troll. one of the best headache savers for my bigger boat (2) 24v, was I added a in-boat,in-line, charge. so I can just plug into my 120 outlet in the garage and it charges and conditions the dual batery's

GdHkSet1
09-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Whatever battery/s you choose, keep them charged after each outing. Conduct regular preventative maintenance- check water level and fill with distilled water only often in the summer. I run a single Group 27 Everstart Deepcycle for my Minnkota 55lb thrust, and a Interstate Starting/Deep Cycle for my 08 MERC. 2-3 Bank Onboard charger will make charging nice and easy after each trip. Good luck