PDA

View Full Version : Fish grippers and rod holders..

tacklejunkie
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
So I learned quickly a net is no good for shore fishin' hali's. It also now seems I am scratching them up on the jetty rocks because they flop around a lot. I can't really jump in to photograph and unhook an LC when I don't have waders on and phone in pocket etc.

What kind of small fish gripper should I look for? It's probably better to grip their lip than let them flop around right? Thanks for any input, I have no experience with such tools as I have not needed one yet. Even though most of the hali's I catch are small they can still be hard to handle! I'd prefer not to have to squeeze them all together.

Also, why is the 3rd grip so tough to find in a shop?:Evil: I guess I'mm gonna have to break down and order it. That's the main thing keeping me from being a non stop one man mobile surf army cause I can't bring the backup weapon without having to set it down and come back for it later.

Wingnut
09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Casey, I carry a Boga Grip in my 3rd Grip holster with me in the surf. Great little tool and very helpful lipping those toothy Butts for quick release. There are several models but the smallest & lightest 15lb max #315 will do the job just fine. I have the 15lb & the 30lb models.

The 3rd Grip are available on-line only right now. Bassproshop.com or Cabelas.com $24.99. :Cool:

Fisherman57
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Casey,

Fastest and best way to get a "3rd Grip" is to order one from Cabela's. They have them in stock. I haven't seen them in the shops anymore either.....

I like the Berkley "Tec" fish gripper..... fits well with the 3rd grip too.....

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/berkgripaa.jpg

tacklejunkie
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the quick info guys.
I guess I will order the rod holder first and get a gripper that will fit.

I've been sticking to jetties mostly because all the junk I have to carry around. I finally got a camera that fits in the fly vest with the rest of the tackle and I think the drop shot and the LC are the two main tactics I will use in the surf once I get the 3rd grip and move off the jetties.

fish_sauce
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
the third grip is awesome!

I wear one even when i'm using only one rod, because imho, they really save you the trouble when having to tie up new lures or trying to dehook a fish...it saves your reel and rod from comming in contact with the sand and rocks..., and it has a good spot for your pliers and knife. I ordered my first one online, and liked it so much, i picked up a second one!

tacklejunkie
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Doh, Cabela's is out of stock on the 3rd grip

Now that I think of it I ran in to this dilemma last time I went looking for a 3rd grip.

ghetto dad
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Casey,

Fastest and best way to get a "3rd Grip" is to order one from Cabela's. They have them in stock. I haven't seen them in the shops anymore either.....

I like the Berkley "Tec" fish gripper..... fits well with the 3rd grip too.....

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/berkgripaa.jpg

Wow...if they made those in hot pink, K3vin Kim would be all over those!!! :ROFL:

GD