PDA

View Full Version : Stripers at New Hogan Sept 4

FishWisher
09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
I took my 11th trip in a row to Hogan – and got to try out my new electric Cannon downriggers. They are sweet! My shoulders aren’t killing me this morning from all the cranking the Cannon manuals required. I bought the Mag 5s, the smaller electrics.

After sorting out the Cannons, I began trolling a couple of the (big) shad I brought along – one at 20’ the other at 30’. After about three hours I finally caught a 3½ lb. channel cat on the troll. Twenty minutes later I had a 4# striper to the boat, and an hour after that another 4# striper to the boat. The last striper had my hook in his mouth and a somewhat larger striper trying to eat him from the other end. He was doomed one way or the other! What a crazy sight - two fish for the price of one. But the second striper gave up at the surface and headed for the deep. I’ve seen photos of one fish trying to eat another fish of about the same size, but this was a first for me.

All fish came from just inside the upriver mouth, before the first island. All came on shad, and when I ran out of shad and tried anchovies, the catching was over.

Mine was the only net I saw lifted all day. One guy told me he caught one striper by casting into a boil. There were very few fishermen on the lake – and NO LAKE LICE! Gosh, I love September! Just before I reeled in and called it a day, I saw one jetski speeding by. I fished for a total of six hours, and called it a day at about 1:00.

Photos at my homepage: http://www.fishwisher.com

Dale

Troutman65
09-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Dale, Thanks for posting your fishing report from up your way. A friend of mine was up fishing the Delta the week before Labor Day Weekend. He was fishing the Delta and could not get any Linesides bigger that 12" to 14". From my understanding the Linesides have to be 18" and you are only allowed 2 for take. He did hook up into some catfish.

I am sure you will be doing more trolling trips now that you have those electric down riggers. :Wink: They sure make a differance.:Big Grin:

FishWisher
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM
The state limit is two stripers, minimum 18", but three California lakes permit 10 with no size restrictions. Hogan is one of those lakes, and four years ago I actually had ten on one trip. But they usually aren't that easy to come by.

Dale