PDA

View Full Version : Montana report...little late

flyforfish21
09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Went to southwestern Montana from july 24th to august 5th, and fly fished for 11 out of the 12 days i was there. Fishing was just short of phenominal, dry fly fishing was excellent. Caught my personal best wild rainbow, went about 24" and 4 lbs. or so, from what i was told by the guy who helped me revive him. Of course after it swam off he asked me if i snapped a pic, i said no, and he said he could have got one and emailed it to me, but oh well. took me about 15 minutes to get it all the way in awesome fight. Caught plenty of other bows and browns, and a million whitefish as usual (they get annoying). Anyways here's a few pics of fish and scenery. Enjoy.

Flyforfish21

Troutman65
09-05-2008, 12:48 AM
What town did you stay in? What River is that in the photo?

Glad you had a great time and thanks for posting :Big Grin::Envious:

Wingnut
09-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Simply beautiful! :Envious:

flyforfish21
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks guys for the comments, we stay at a campground outside of west yellowstone. The river pictured is the Madison river, extremely popular, but if you know what you are doing, you can catch some really nice fish.

flyforfish21

dooblehaul
09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
You should feel lucky to have hooked and landed a 24 on the madison. Most of us native MT anglers never have that kind of fishing!!!! Especially on the madison-that river gets punished from guides running out of state Californian's like yourself. The cool thing about that river is that it offers awesome wade fishing too!! Good job. Glad you could enjoy everything the big sky state has to offer.

flyforfish21
09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
dooblehaul...know what you mean dude, however i have been fishing there for about 8 years now every summer and have never taken a guide trip...where i caught that 24" fish is not an uncommon spot for fish of that size, if you ever get the chance to fish the top of Quake lake where the madison runs in, i would take that oppurtunity...i have caught several up to 22" in the many years before this trip...You should REALLY go up there for the fall Brownie run, i hear from the locals, mainly Craig Matthews (really cool guy), that they catch 5 lbs and up during the fall run upriver out of quake lake and Hebgen...Also the spot pictured is where Bob Jacklin of "Jacklin's Fly shop" caught his 12 lb BROWN!!!! so i guess you just have to be there at the right time...This year was crazy for fish though, the dry fly bite was insane for awhile...Good luck fishing man, post up some reports so i can see how you are doing, or shoot me a pm...

flyforfish21

jack65274
09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I stayed for a week on the Madison from 7/12 to 7/19. We fished Quake Lake one day up near where the Madison comes in which I think is about where you are talking about and I caught my PB rainbow of 22". Saw lots of huge fish there. Also fished the Madison several days drifting. Great place.

flyforfish21
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
jack...yeah that is the exact spot...every night when the sun comes off the water, you can HEAR the big ones jumping, you don't even need to see them...i want to go in the fall when the brownies make their run up river to spawn, because that's the time to hook a fish of a lifetime..! anyways man, that is my favorite place in the world, i look forward to it every summer, and can't wait to go back again next year...i am moving to seattle next year and will be a little bit closer, maybe some weekend trips!!! If any of you guys reading this get the chance to fish their it is some of the most beautiful scenary and fish i have ever seen...!

flyforfish21