PDA

View Full Version : My project boat that I'm going to buy.

DMAN
05-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Here are some pics of a boat that I'm going to buy for $200.00 I don't know anything about boats, but I figure I can fix this up. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on where to start first?

seahonk
05-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Well first of all are you planing to use it in the ocean if so that boat is a tri hull and you will get a very ruff ride on a simi bad day , secound that trailer looks to small for the boat meaning small tires and leaf springs , third that path on the underneath of the hull dont look very good if it is rot from the inside out its bad but if its just a scratch from the outside its not that bad , dont know about the motor looks very old and parts are hard to find on old motors , dont get me wrong im not trying to talk you out of it its just your looking at alot of work and money , dont jump on the first boat you see look around i know its just $200 but for like 1500 or so you might find something thats alittle better and less work and money , check craigs list there is some pretty good deal on there , well thats my :2cents: i hope i didnt discourage you .

O
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
were do i start? the boat may be a deal, but you have tom consider a few things...how much of the work are you planning on doing yourself? just by the pics Id say that patch is SUPER RISKY :!:

I bought a used boat that had a clean hull and spent alot of time going over her and sanding/painting....

another thing is that DECK! I man its old dry wood..not coated/fiberglassed and should be completely pulled out if your serious about safety! I had to replace my deck and its NO JOKE! more than likely the stringers are rotted too and will ahve to be replaced....also these older boats have inadequate foam for flotation adn that will have to be addded...

I am more than willling to show you the work Ive done on my project and explain in detail what you can expect as far as hours and $$$

to replace the wood deck,fiberglass, CARPET,stringers etc...

easily $400-600...this is if you do the work yourself :!:

the floatation foam is expensive...$200-300

paint and patch that hole in the hull correctly $200-400

THAT KEEL IS IN PREETY BAD SHAPE TOO!!!!

the motor, wiring, battery,steering,etc...will add up quick as well...youre better off at least starting with a CLEAN AND SOUND hull for safety and sanity reasons...
paint and patch that hole in the hull correctly $100-250
look at my nearly finished project for sale...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=1551

feel free to call me O.Nolasco 626-329-1426 cell

fishrookie
05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
you can do it :thumb:

Wildhorse1966
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
i would rather save up and buy a better boat ... this one is ready for the scrap yard...

it may sound mean but i am trying to save you alot of money and time ... look for something better ... parts for that outboard are hard to find and you will probally just scrap the motor ...

fishrookie
05-29-2007, 10:27 PM
if this guy can do this boat so can you
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewto ... sc&start=0 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=401&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)
all it takes is time and some spare money or you can do like everybody and buy a new one and put your self in debt.
i have a 87 tracker that had bad floors and the motor quit after i got it home all it took was my time and a little elbow grease and a little research on the motor and now it runs and look like a champ and it only ran me about $1800 total with purchase.
if you want to fiend out about the motor and how hard it is to fix it go to this web site and ask them they'll tell you how to fix it and where to get the parts http://forums.iboats.com/
they'll even tell you how to fix the bottom of your boat.
hope this helps

DMAN
05-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Wow thanks a lot for all the responses. I am now having doubts about this boat. My rationale behind this was that I could buy it, get it home, clean it out, replace the deck with some more plywood, get new seats, maybe paint it, and rebuild the motor. I was just going to use it in a few freshwater lakes with my dad and ocassionally a few friends. I'm not looking to have it look emaculate, just function as means to gain access to great fishing spots. I already have a float tube, but I would like my dad to go with me too. I was under the impression that I would spend around $1000 to get it into the water by December. Now......? :cry:

fishrookie
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
well its all up to you now :wink:

fishntoss
06-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Start by finding another boat. If you don't know anything about boats, then it'll probably suit ya better to find one that runs, then fix things as you go.
New or not, you'll be working on your boat. BOAT,, stands for Bring Out Another Thousand.
There's always something you wanna do to ur boat, whether it's fixing it or addin something to it.
Your first boat shouldn't have a hole in the bottom of it. I only caution ya as you say you don't know anything about boats. A project boat is a good way to learn, but like someone else said, that's ready for the scrap yard.
Another question is... the motor,,2 stroke or 4??? Quite a few lakes now won't let ya run an older 2stroke motor...Thats the kind you have to mix the oil and gas. somethine else to look at on the next boat.
Get a boat trader mag or the other one. Have the owner let ya take it out on a lake first. Test drive it. If they won't do it.. well, people say be wary, so....
Don't give up, if a project boat is what you really want, there are some good ones out there. Also some good used ones that run real well.
Workin with fiberglass is an art. :soapbox: Remember the Titanic wasn't supposed to sink either...lol

Headhunter
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
For $200, hell, yeah.

That is, IF you have a good place to store it and to work on it.

If you do, then Take your time, and learn as you go. Make it a long term project.

Set some goals, write them down.

Figure out EXACTLY what you want it to look like and perform like when you are done, and take one step at a time. Don't plan on doing this in a weekend.

Something like this could actually be a lot of fun AND you could learn a lot.

Other than the Glass Patch, the Hull looks pretty sturdy. The motor might be an issue, but you never know....it could be just fine with some maintenance.

Again, this is NOT something that you can do in a week or even a month, but if you have the time, the space, some tools, a plan, and the desire, it could be a good deal.

You might consider having a Marine Mechanic come out and survey it, so he can give you a list of what HAS to be done to make it seaworthy. After you've completed that list you can move on to making it what you want cosmetically.

Keep us posted, if you decide to do it. Make a regular posting on your progress.....we'll keep you motivated. :lol:

Headhunter
06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
For $200, hell, yeah.

That is, IF you have a good place to store it and to work on it.

If you do, then Take your time, and learn as you go. Make it a long term project.

Set some goals, write them down.

Figure out EXACTLY what you want it to look like and perform like when you are done, and take one step at a time. Don't plan on doing this in a weekend.

Something like this could actually be a lot of fun AND you could learn a lot.

Other than the Glass Patch, the Hull looks pretty sturdy. The motor might be an issue, but you never know....it could be just fine with some maintenance.

Again, this is NOT something that you can do in a week or even a month, but if you have the time, the space, some tools, a plan, and the desire, it could be a good deal.

You might consider having a Marine Mechanic come out and survey it, so he can give you a list of what HAS to be done to make it seaworthy. After you've completed that list you can move on to making it what you want cosmetically.

Keep us posted, if you decide to do it. Make a regular posting on your progress.....we'll keep you motivated. :lol:

muskyman
06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow ; I am tired from just thinking about all the work that needs to be done !

valhalla_1_2000
06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Sweet rig!!! I would start the renovation by starting a large bonfire aided by many accelerants and toss that POS in there when the fire is really raging.

DyleeBrand
06-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Sweet rig!!! I would start the renovation by starting a large bonfire aided by many accelerants and toss that POS in there when the fire is really raging.

That s one way to do it........or dig a hole in the back yard, then bury it half way down, makes great koi pond.....