PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Go-to Shovel-nose Guitarfish bait?

City Dad
09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
For those who target SNGF, what is your favorite bait and why?

cappo
09-03-2008, 01:17 PM
i try not to target them but they always seem to be around. Sure fire hookup with squid or mackerel/sardine chunks. They're a bit of a nuisance when targeting leos.

troutdog
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Are you after an IFGA record or something CD? I like squid myself, everything likes eating the candy bait it seems.....SNGF? WHY? :LOL:

TD

City Dad
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you after an IFGA record or something CD? I like squid myself, everything likes eating the candy bait it seems.....SNGF? WHY? :LOL:

TD

They're so gorgeous... but most importantly, I'd love to help my kids hook one. But now that you mention IFGA records... hhhmmmm.

thanks for the tips, fellas.

Where do you guys get your squid - baitshop or grocery store? Fresh or frozen?

Appreciate the help.

Fisherman57
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
If you can get LIVE bait and keep it LIVE.... chovies and smelt are SNGF killers.... other than that, fresh squid or fresh ghost shrimp is the ticket ....

Nearest fresh squid to you Tim is on the northeast corner of Coldwater & Sherman Way (Fish King Market)......

City Dad
09-03-2008, 01:54 PM
If you can get LIVE bait and keep it LIVE.... chovies and smelt are SNGF killers.... other than that, fresh squid or fresh ghost shrimp is the ticket Tim.....

Thanks Dana. I've got my eye on a spot I stummbled across last week.

Also, what constitutes "fresh" squid? And where would a guy stand the best chance of finding fresh squid? (And wouldn't shark/SNGF/ray 101 sticky would be cool?:Wink:)

Fisherman57
09-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks Dana. I've got my eye on a spot I stummbled across last week.

Also, what constitutes "fresh" squid? And where would a guy stand the best chance of finding fresh squid? (And wouldn't shark/SNGF/ray 101 sticky would be cool?:Wink:)

IMO "fresh squid" is "just caught, yet to be frozen" squid. The market I mentioned above has it on occasion. They also have 8 lb blocks of frozen squid at a great price.

I'll use the frozen if no fresh is available, and believe it or not, I add a small amount of Pro-Cure to the frozen. (probably overkill on my part).

Great idea on the SNGF/RAY 101.....

Sinjin Kim
09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Anything! I've caught them on sand crabs, grubs, hardbaits, spoons, Gulp!, squid, lug worms etc...

Cangler
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Cut squid ... i buy the frozen 3lb boxes of calimari from Staters

fish_sauce
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
8lb blocks of frozen squid?!! lol
sounds like you'll have plenty leftover for calamari. :LOL:

when targetting rays and bottom feeding sharks, hands down, my go-to baits are frozen anchovy or cut sardine, or mackerel . They are easy to obtain (almost any walmart, bait/tackle store, or asian market) and easy to use. Mackerel work very well because it is bloody and oily, which plays in well with the scent factor... SNGF are foraging creatures, so you don't really need live bait like halibut...and besides, live bait is harder to come by, more expensive, and require upkeep/maintenance/care. They have phenominal sensory organs that help them search for food on the sea floor, so Dana's advice on pro cure can't hurt, as i do the same to mask any human scent i might leave on the bait, line, and hook (tobacco smoke, motor oil/grease, body odor etc, etc...)

If you're ever in the OC area, CityDad, PM me and i'll point you to a few local markets that consistently sell some amazing fresh bait for cheap! (sardine,mackerel,squid,mussel..etc)

City Dad
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Okay, squid. Thanks again guys.

To digress slightly; how far out do you like to fish? I've seen those things right up in the skinny. Any reason to heave a cast waaaaay out there?

Cangler
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I use a 10ft med action rod , 20# braid and a 2oz pyramid

Just a gentle lob over the breakers usually does it.

You'll get rays , leos and small sharks too

fish_sauce
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
To digress slightly; how far out do you like to fish? I've seen those things right up in the skinny. Any reason to heave a cast waaaaay out there?

i've seen decent sized (longer than 3 feet) sngf's come in alllll the way to about two to three feet of water, so there's really no need to cast out far, but it may better your odds. I guess it really depends on the tide conditions and time of day. they will more likely come in on high tide to search the newly submerged sand for edible crustaceans. unfortunately, stingrays do the same thing =)

bones
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd have to say Squid if I was actually targeting them. On light gear they are awesome fighters.Kids love to catch them also. They have a built in handle(tail) and the kids can check them out longer before the release since they are very hardy.
Good luck and tight lines to ya always!

mg2969
09-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Live 'dines

fishshep
09-04-2008, 04:26 AM
If you can get LIVE bait and keep it LIVE.... chovies and smelt are SNGF killers.... other than that, fresh squid or fresh ghost shrimp is the ticket ....

Nearest fresh squid to you Tim is on the northeast corner of Coldwater & Sherman Way (Fish King Market)......

HEY!!! YOUR POACHIN MY FISH STORE!!???
I Live about six blocks from there!!!
They get some fresh clams once in a while too!!
Killer bait for the surf.
There is another one on Woodman Ave.left side of st.
just past Kaiser hosp.that often times has fresh sardines,
big ones too!!! Good for Castaic stripers!!!etc.